Next Thread
Print Thread
#58324 02/23/02 04:16 AM
J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I just read about this on the New Scientist web site. The copyleft is the strange cousin of a copyright and it sort of a movement supporting the complete sharing of thoughts and writings. It certainly puts plagiarism in a different light.
http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/copyleft/

The article mentions the Wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.com), which is basically an online encylopedia to which anyone can contribute. If you see an article that's missing, or needs correcting, you can go ahead and change it. It's fairly new, but growing fast and the creators are hoping that it will turn into a huge, respectable resource.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
But who checks to make sure what is being altered is right. Just take the evolution of man for example. Different scientists have different views as to where exactly we stem from.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
After a display I saw the other day which was so disgusting I won't even try to describe it, I'd say that it had been fairly conclusively proven that we come direct from primordial slime without having either passed "Go" or collected 200 [name your currency unit] ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
[sigh] a familiar theme.

J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
But who checks to make sure what is being altered is right.

Well, I guess everyone and no one. It's grasping the anarchy that is the internet and taking it to a new level by trying to make something for the public good. Being an encyclopedia they would want to incorportate all views on something, I think, but the veracity of certain facts is based on letting people who know provide the right answer. It all rides on courtesy really, so if it doesn't work, I guess it tells us something about ourselves. It's a study in sociology, somehow similar to this place.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 585 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith