Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#5824 08/30/00 03:27 PM
A
OP Offline
A
What are some main differences between British and American word spelling and usage? Are there also differences between other English speakers like Canadians, or Australians? And what about Scottish, Irish, and Welsh -> are they considered forms of English too?

#5825 08/30/00 06:53 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
British English adds to some words by inserting what Americans would call supererogatory vowels - "aluminium" vs."aluminum," and all the words like "vigour," colour," "labour" etc. Also, British English tends to prefer the French spelling of words like "metre" and its siblings, in contrast with American English opting for the German "meter." Pronunciation is also quite different, most noticeably in "u" Most Americans would say "Noo York," while most speaker of British English, or its derivatives elsewhere, would say "Nyou York." Even the single vowel "u" is often pronounced quite differently - "aloominum" vs "alyouminium." And this doesn't even begin to touch on the variations present in NZ English (my mother tongue), Australian English - note that I am steadfastly resisting the urge to make "oxymoron" type remarks here - and the many other flavours this wondrous tongue has adopted. Please note also, that the above comments are the ravings of a madman, and represent little more than personal opinions of questionable worth.

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of humanity" - Albert Einstein

#5826 08/30/00 07:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in keeping with local custom in regards to Max-posts, I'd point out that this is very much an ongoing topic in these here parts -- you'll find B v. A asides in many many of the threads!

#5827 08/30/00 07:10 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
in keeping with local custom in regards to Max-posts, I'd point out that this is very much an ongoing topic in these here parts -- you'll find B v. A asides in many many of the threads!

I wonder, is it nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous tsuwm? Am I to get no absolution? Does the fact that I did not start this one count for nothing?
On a slightly more serious note, the structure of this board makes moving from thread to thread a little awkward, and when pursuing a particular topic, tracking down all references can be very time-consuming. I still find it awkward moving from one thread to another, and so I empathise with my fellow greenhorn here.

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of humanity" - Albert Einstein

#5828 08/30/00 07:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>the structure of this board makes moving
from thread to thread a little awkward

Yet Another Rehashed Topic! (time to coin an acronym: YART)
{but a topic on which we all agreed!!}

#5829 08/30/00 07:56 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I do realize that this topic comes up in many forums, but as max mentioned, it is hard to search for something in forums that were not assigned for that particular information. I was hoping that people could come here with their English version/dialect problems instead of crowding up forums that weren't meant to hold that information.

With those things said, could we please try to keep this forum subject-oriented rather than crowding it with our own disagreements?

#5830 08/30/00 08:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hey, you're free to post whatever you want here -- we're pretty much self-moderating. but if you have the time to browse the "archives" you'll find some pretty fascinating stuff posted on these subjects, and also by folks who infrequently (or no longer) post.

as for disagreements, I've been on my best behavior for quite a while!

btw, a+o, did you know that your personal data is unavailable and that it is impossible to send you personal messages??

#5831 08/30/00 08:32 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I was hoping that people could come here with their English version/dialect problems

It is a theme that allows of infinite discussion, isn't it? I love the way that English adapts to different environments, taking whatever it needs from other languages. It seems to me that this flexibility is what gives English its strength, and in this regard I regard myself as fortunate to live in a country with two official languages, as do you. The major problems that other English speakers have with New Zealanders is that we tend to talk very quickly, especially in contrast with the painfully slow and careful enunciation typical among US English speakers, and we barely open our mouths when speaking. Oh, and by the way, I was not having a disagreement with tsuwm. Tsuwm is the closest thing this board has to a deity, a personage whose incredible wealth of knowledge rightly inspires awe, and I have received a great deal of assistance from tsuwm in the ten days or so that I have been frequenting this board. I am, at least in my own self-delusional universe, a fellow of most infinite jest, and was simply attempting a little banter. I guess I am just starting to feel sufficiently at ease to indulge in such frivolity.

#5832 08/30/00 08:45 PM
A
OP Offline
A
>>btw, a+o, did you know that your personal data is unavailable and that it is impossible to send you personal messages??

I did not know that. Actually I checked it and it says I'm no longer registered, but I just signed up today. What could be wrong?

#5833 08/31/00 01:14 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>what could be wrong?

perhaps the somewhat unusual form of your username bollixed the limited capabilities of this odd mushware (witness the UNlimited pixillation of the spell-checker).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith