Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#56919 02/17/02 06:00 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
If you have the right kind of maple trees, it can be fun to make candy from the syrup, by boiling it down and pouring it onto snow.

"Jack Wax" or "Maple on Snow" is a maple product produced by pouring hot maple syrup over snow or crushed or cracked ice. It is most commonly eaten quickly, rather than stored for future use.

Make "Jack Wax" or "Maple on Snow" by heating maple syrup to a temperature 18 to 40oF above the boiling temperature of pure water and immediately pouring the heated syrup over snow or cracked or crushed ice. The nature of the product produced depends on the temperature attained. At the lower end of the temperature range, the "Jack Wax" will be taffy-like, and chewy; at the upper end of the temperature range it will be much harder, and more glass-like.

#56920 02/17/02 06:18 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear wwh,

And, too, it would depend upon the grade of maple syrup. I went to a sugar house in Connecticut a few years back, and watched the syrup being made. Now that is a sight to behold--that big metal tray with horizontal channels for the white syrup to go boiling about--the sweetness in the air like cotton candy--the heat of the fire--the steam in the air--the darkening of the syrup.

I understood from the syrup maker, who is no longer with us, that the later in the season, the darker the syrup that is finally bottled after processing. I can't remember, however, which is considered better--the early light syrup or the later darker syrup. I avoid the stuff myself, but, oh, I would love to visit a sugar house or two again before my time's up here.

Wonder how your Jack Wax would be affected by these different grades of syrup? (I have no idea anymore what this thread is about--oh, that's right: winter things--and here I've gone and bounced into syrup making--when's that? Early spring?)

Brisk regards,
WinterWax

#56921 02/17/02 06:25 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: I was talking about making syrup from your own trees. Using purchased syrup is so g-d expensive it would be idiotic to make candy from it.

#56922 02/17/02 10:06 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Mmmmmmmm, maple syrup - absolulely love the stuff. Eggs & ham cooked in syrup is my favorite spring-time brekky food.

Bill, it would take a hell of a lot of trees to make enough maple syrup to satisfy your own needs let alone any family member you may have. The sap has to be boiled for a good while before it thickens to syrup stage - most of water evaporates. One tree is not enough.

The light syrup is usually the biggest seller. There is so much of it during sap season that it isn't all that expensive.

OFFER: If anybody going to Wordapalooza wants some, I can always bring some down. Just drop me a note and I'll bring you a can.

#56923 02/17/02 10:56 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#56924 02/18/02 02:28 PM
B
Bean Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
Aaahhh...frostbite. Most Winnipeggers have experienced it. All you have to do is forget your toque on a cold day. My experience was my own fault, it was junior high, and I decided not to wear earmuffs (too un-cool!) on a day of -28 C with windchill 1800 W/m^2 (equivalent temp, -38, according to my sources). Very painful. I've had mild frostbite twice since then, once when the temperature was only hovering around the freezing point. I didn't expect to need a toque at 0 C. The wind was ridiculous, though, 70 km/h. So for the next week the skin on my ears was peeling happily. That was just last year.

And in Manitoba we didn't call it sliding, it was tobogganing. In Newfoundland, though, it's sliding.

#56925 02/18/02 03:59 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
ankylosing spondylitis - arthritic back pain -- I LIU!
but how frostbitten ears can lead to it seems pretty far fetched to me!

Dr B, noticed you used the phrase "Ask the man who owns one" ... wasn't that the ad motto for Packard cars?
Well sure nuf'! I found this link http://www.packard.ws/

#56926 02/19/02 12:19 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Bean, you should put vaseline on your ears before going out. It provide a bit of coverage when you don't put on a hat 'cause it "looks" too hot. But, (mom alert, mom alert) PUT ON YOU HAT DEAR!!!

#56927 02/19/02 12:48 AM
old hand
old hand
Ah - a blast from the past

Many years ago I saw a (pint/quart?) tin of "Staley's Maple Syrup". It was green with silvery writing as I recall.

Does this stuff still exist? I MUST get ahold of some - even an empty tin would be good.

PPLLEEEEZZ let me know - I'll be your friend....

stales

#56928 02/19/02 01:12 AM
old hand
old hand
bel - I'm loving your posts about maple syrup.

One of my favourite stunts (shy little thing that I am) is to do just what you mentioned. Couple of things to note but:

(a) Tipping maple syrup over bacon, hash browns, eggs etc at breakfast is unheard of in Australia - and a practice most would thing revolting.

(b) When I do it (showing my New England roots probably), I make sure it's in public just to get the reaction from those mentioned in (a). In the breakfast buffet lineup at hotels and restaurants is the place - guaranteed to hear some whispers behind me in the queue, "Oh yuk - look what he's doing - maple syrup on bacon - Oh gross!"

FYI - The syrup laid out for the patrons is regarded by the populace as being for the pancakes - and the occassional North American passing through one presumes.

stales

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith