Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#56889 02/14/02 02:09 PM
B
Bean Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
Well, since Max was so kind as to post our winter photos, I thought I'd start a thread on winter words. This may have been done before (a search turns up nothing, though), but I was waxing philosophic about winter yesterday ('tis the only way to get through it!). Besides, it's a well-known Canadian tradition to talk (more like complain) about the weather, so I invite you all to join me. Anyway, to talk about weather, you need the right words to describe it! So I start with the photos themselves...

Dag is sitting on snowbanks - the piles of snow created by shovelling or plowing. That is different from snowdrifts, where the wind put the stuff there. The pile of snow left on the end of your driveway by the snowplows is called a windrow. Slush is what the roads look like most of the time here in the winter, because they salt the roads to melt the snow. Windchill is a measurement of how fast your body cools when exposed to wind. Just the word makes me shiver. I look out the window right now and I see flurries (snow both falling and blowing around simultaneously). We have had about six blizzards so far this year, and undoubtedly more to come (I don't know what separates a blizzard from a snowstorm).

My brother once built a quinzee (http://www.call-wild.com/quinzee.html), which is a hut built by hollowing out the middle of a snowbank.

On the coldest nights, we have to plug our block heater in, which keeps the engine block warm so the car will start in the morning. In the colder parts of Canada, people drive around all winter with an electric plug hanging out the front of the car's hood. (Everyone has driven away once or twice with the car still plugged in, and dragged the cord around town with them!) You can also get an interior car warmer (now there's a creative name) to keep the inside of the car warm. Frozen seats are quite uncomfortable in the mornings! If you have the money you get a remote car starter to start the car from inside the house, so it can warm up without you ever having to set foot outside.

What about clothing? In the photos, we are both wearing toques, the only thing worth wearing to keep your head and ears warm in the winter. Dag's wearing what my dad would call a parka, a big fluffy jacket to keep you nice and warm. I've got a windbreaker on, with a layer of fleece underneath. We're both probably wearing long underwear, though much more high-tech than the cartoon kind with the flap on the rear! Another of my most important items of winter wear is my neck-warmer. No, not a scarf, more like a knitted tube (a toque with no top), like a turtleneck without the sweater, to keep my neck and face warm against the cold winds. On the windiest days I'll have it pulled up to just below my eyes, and the toque to just above, leaving only a small slit to see out of.

OK, now two word problems. I have thought of two winter things with no names:

(1) We have a tool to break ice on the walkway. It looks like the things used to put pizzas in an oven at a pizzeria (another thing whose name I don't know), but much smaller, and made of metal. Please don't tell me it's just an icebreaker.

(2) What about the slushy, icy snow that builds up on your car's mudguards in the winter, and makes scraping noises on your tires when you make a sharp turn? You have to kick it off with your boots. What is the word for it???

#56890 02/14/02 02:57 PM
old hand
old hand
(2) What about the slushy, icy snow that builds up on your car's mudguards in the winter, and makes scraping noises on your tires when you make a sharp turn? You have to kick it off with your boots. What is the word for it???

(I'm hoping the red font will help you feel warmer...)

Last winter, a Minneapolis columnist had something of a contest to come up with a name for just that phenomenon, and I really liked the winner... I continue to use the term because it was so satisfyingly onomatopoetic. Great Grungy Underwhomps.

Great, naturally, because they have a tendency to grow to epic proportions before you know it.
Grungy because they're never pristine white snow, they're always utterly filthy.
Underwhomps because A: they accumulate under (and behind) the wheel well, and B: the sound they make when you kick them off.

That coinage did it for me! I'll see if the article is still in his archives. If I can find the link, I'll post it here...

#56891 02/14/02 03:11 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
...We have a tool to break ice on the walkway

I've just sort of automatically called it an "ice chopper." Though come to think of it the chopping motion has no similarity at all to chopping with an axe (that would be a wood axe, not an ice axe)

#56892 02/14/02 03:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#56893 02/14/02 03:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We had the Slush Festival here in Ithaca back in the '80s. We had one in '83 I believe it was and in '84 we had the 5th Annual. Skipped a couple of years and had another '87 if I remember. That was the 101st Annual.

Quick google shows that Rochester, NY explicitly denies ever having had a Slush Festival (http://www.rnychamber.com/relocating/residents.shtml).

Toadsuck, NE claims to have one (http://www.capnwacky.com/forum/messages/521.html) but there is some question whether Toadsuck, NE even exists.

#56894 02/14/02 03:41 PM
B
Bean Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
I am impressed with your ability to find stuff, tsuwm. However, I assure you ours is a budget ice chopper ($34.95US =~* $56.37 CAD) Probably cost us $12.95, and probably was still the subject of a "can we afford this" debate. Still, a spade bounces off ice when you're trying to break it, and threatens your toes. However, I'm unimpressed that it's just called an "Ice chopper/scraper". I thought there might be a more picturesque word.

And what is the name of the similarly-shaped thing in a pizzeria?

*I wish the character map had an "approximately equal to" sign. That's twice in the last month or so I've desired one!

#56895 02/14/02 03:42 PM
B
Bean Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
We had the Slush Festival here in Ithaca back in the '80s

Fadlage, what does one do at a slush festival? Aside from getting very wet feet, I imagine?

#56896 02/14/02 03:44 PM
B
Bean Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
FB, I like the Great Gungy Underwhomps. Another neat thing is that when you do knock them off, if you then back your car over them, they usually go "pop". If it's cold enough.

#56897 02/14/02 03:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Probably cost us $12.95

ours too, Bean -- but you can't find a pretty on-line picture of ours.

check out the other link I added above for 'snowberg'...

several years ago we took a winter vacation, and there was a big snowstorm whilst we were away. we had arranged for snow removal from our walks by the neighbors, but we returned in the midst of the storm, were diverted to Duluth where we stayed in the tiny Duluth airport(?) for 24 hours, and returned home to find a 3-foot ice-dam (no mere windrow, this) at the end of the driveway, courtesy of the city snow plows. we had to use an ice-ax, as even the Brookstone ice chopper/scraper wouldn't have fazed it.

#56898 02/14/02 04:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We had rusty car contests, winter fashion shows, comparisons of slush from different parts of the county. One year we had a weather guessing event in which contestants guessed the weather in selected towns around the world. Alice Springs was one.

Oh, and traditionally beautiful warm sunny weather. In Ithaca. In March.

One of the pillars of the community, the front singer and titular leader of a local bar band* and, later, a member of the Ithaca Common Council declared, after the 5th Annual, "We should have Slush Festival every weekend."

*The Low Down Alligator Jass Band.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith