Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#56423 02/14/02 12:30 PM
A
addict
addict
A
Max - let's ignore Angel - I too have the same problem.

Just you try and ignore an Angel, Stales! [mock hurt-e] Harrumph®! I sincerely hope no one takes this seriously, as I did not take his comment seriously either. Too much hurt on this board, and this was not meant in a hurtful way.

#56424 02/14/02 01:44 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
It's also a bugger getting spectacles that fit.

It's also a problem for me, but for different reasons. My head is too narrow. Usually childrens' glasses look fine on me, but the arms don't reach my ears! It's always a hassle when I have to shop for new glasses.

old hand
old hand
Thus a great deal of heat would be lost from the head, and the species, though in general rather hairless, has evolved to retain insulating hair atop the head.

OK, I'll buy that. But I've always wanted to ask someone (instead of L-ingIU for myself) how you explain the evolutionary persistence of underarm hair.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just had to mention the classic Abbott and Costello routine where Lou is a hat salesman with a box full of straw hats. It's hilarious! Here's a synopsis...(I can't find a script link, if I do I'll edit it in):

Fleugal street

Changed to "Susquehanna street" for 'In Society', this is a classic routine that was written by Billy K. Wells in 1918. Lou has to deliver some hats to a hat company for a friend but doesn't know where the road is so he has to stop people and ask them. All the people turn out to be loonies. He tries a hat on and each time he encounters a loony, they break it and Abbott tallies up the cost as they go along. Crazy routine this one, suited to the TV show more than the film. Enjoyable and memorable none the less.

At the end, Lou winds up just breaking all the hats himself.

#56427 02/14/02 04:25 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
It's also a bugger getting spectacles that fit.
It's also a problem for me, but for different reasons. My head is too narrow. Usually childrens' glasses

Similar here, with eyes set so closely together that I can't use a pair of binoculars (the two eyepieces, even at the extreme adjustment, are too far apart) and my glasses slip down the bridge of my nose. Trust me, folks, my wife has already made all the jokes about narrow-mindedness.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Underarm hair, like pubic hair, is a secondary sexual characteritic.

it help establish your scent. Nowdays, especially in modern world, the idea of a personal scent is considered 'unattractive'.. but human still respond to them.

a study done with new mothers, had them smelling blankets..(used one night) most mothers could correctly identify which blanket their baby slept in. (it smelled the best!)

another study i read about, reported on small closed societies. (ie, amish). very often, a person found to smell unattractive, was also one who had too much of a genome in common..a bad genetic match.
(too much different also results in an unattractive smell-- a complaint often made about foriegners.. they smell bad)

so underarm hair (and the scent associated with it) becomes important geneticaly, once you reach puberty.. and it appears right on schedule!

the most common expression of this, is good old house hold laundry.. when your in love, you don't mind the smell of your loved ones laundry.. but fall out of love, and their clothes stink. secondly, most parents find the clothes of their teen age kids to stink-- a secondary protection against incest.

#56429 02/14/02 05:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bean:

A good optometry shop will be able to put on longer temple pieces. Theo, my six-year-old, wears glasses, and we got him a set of frames that cost over $300! BUT! They are titanium. I can literally bend the lenses toward one another so that they rub together, and when you let go they snap right back to the original configuration. You can tie an overhand knot in a temple piece without causing a permanent bend.

Anyway, when last we visited the optometry shop, they noticed that the temples were too short, so they TRADED OUT the old ones for longer ones and didn't charge me one red cent.

Ted

TEd
#56430 02/14/02 05:44 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Thanks for the tip, TEd. I have a very satisfactory pair of glasses right now, but eventually they will have to be replaced. You should see how funny I look with a typical pair of glasses on - looks like those novelty sunglasses that existed 10-15 years ago, which were purposely way too huge! Luckily styles are becoming smaller and daintier and I've had more luck finding good-looking glasses in recent years.

#56431 02/15/02 10:06 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Which brings me to another question! Just what was the price on the ticket in the Mad Hatter's Hat? My copy of "Alice" doesn't have a print of Teniel's original illustration, so I can't check just now, but I always thought it was marked "10/6" (i.e.,ten shillings and sixpence, or half-a-guinea in the ancient Brit-cash mode). The quizmaster at our local pub (the Boot & Shoe!) gave the answer to that question as 7/6 (seven and sixpence, or "free 'arf crahns" to a Cockney)
Now Helen is implying that the price is 11/6 - whihc is right, please?

#56432 02/15/02 12:20 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 763 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith