Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#55755 02/08/02 05:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
A hearty "Good luck!" to the sports-minded of all nations who have athletes entered in the 2002 Winter Olympics! Let's hope the Olympic Spirit prevails, both on the field and off.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Congratulations to Italy's Stefania Belmondo, first Olympic champion crowned! Wins Gold Medal in Women's Cross Country Skiing. (are you watching, emanuela?)

#55757 02/10/02 04:36 AM
old hand
old hand
er - yes.

Whilst watching the opening ceremony I could not help but notice how the Europeans and North Americans trembled with fear before the mighty hordes from the Antipodes.

27 from Oz (3 of whom were knocked out of their comp on the first day) and 19 from Zild. Be very, very afraid.

stales

#55758 02/10/02 01:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And let's not forget the Brasilian bobsled team. Boa sorte to the Frozen Banana!

#55759 02/10/02 05:27 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
let's not forget the Brasilian bobsled team. Boa sorte to the Frozen Banana!

"Brazil - where the nuts come from" -
(to quote from the play "Charlie's Aunt" by Brandon Thomas)

and to my way of thinking *anyone who gets on (into) a bobsled is a Grade A nut! Those things are dangerous! But if they must, I wish them all good luck.

#55760 02/10/02 05:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, being knocked out of the competition early has some consolations. -- and i am sure one reason for the small contingent was someone from down under discovered early in the game that getting a drink-- something as simple as a beer! is a big deal in salt lake city.

they seem to have done a good job creating venues, and managing crouds.. but salt lake city is no sydney.. it is not a party town.
---------
i think its interesting that internation speakers talk of US hosting the games.. i see it as Utah hosting the games. most of the funds are state/corporate/donations, not federal funds. We are a united states.. but in some ways, states are still a bit autonomus.

Bean? Bel? talked about local (Canadian state/provience) rules about names changes in marrige, or civil/religious weddings. in US, each state make its own laws about age of consent, and other rules about marriage, and agrees to accept as legal any marriage that is legal in an other state. in old american movies, this gave rise to running off to maryland, to elope. In NY and much of Northeast, you must wait at least 3 day from when you request a marriage licence to when you get married. Maryland lets you get married on the spot.. Lots of other states do, too, but it was the closest.

do the state in ozzie land work the same way?

#55761 02/10/02 10:50 PM
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Salt Lake city is, in my opinion, a strange choice for a big have-fun-drink-play-games thing, since the Mormons all live there and won't let you do anything.
Hey Faldage, how does a team from a tropical country have any chance in a sledding competition?

#55762 02/10/02 10:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ask the Jamaicans, mon.

#55763 02/10/02 11:57 PM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
do the states in ozzie land work the same way?

I'm not an expert on this topic (having never been married, nor lived in another state) but here's some info I've found:

Marriage in Australia
Before a marriage ceremony can be solemnised the bride and groom must decide where the marriage will occur and whether the ceremony will be a religious or civil event. Both forms of ceremony are recognised as legal marriages by Australian law.

A 'notice of intended marriage' must be completed and lodged with the person who is going to perform the ceremony (proposed celebrant) at least one month, but no more than six months, before the preferred date of marriage. The notice is obtained from the proposed celebrant

The bride and groom must show the proposed celebrant documentary proof that they are 18 years old or older. That proof must be a birth certificate or extract if born in Australia. If the bride or groom were not born in Australia, then the celebrant can accept a valid passport or a citizenship certificate.

The marriageable age in Australia is 18 years for both males and females. Marriage of a person who has attained the age of 16 years but is under 18 years is possible only if the person they are marrying is 18 years or older. In this situation, parental consent and a judge or magistrate's order are required for the minor. Two people under 18 years of age cannot marry each other.

If either party has been married before then that person must show the celebrant proof that they are free to remarry. That proof is usually a decree nisi of dissolution of marriage that has become absolute or a death certificate.

Excerpt from the Western Australian Births, Deaths and Marriages website (emphasis mine). Yes, stales, you sandgropers manage to make this information available better than any other state in our fine land!

So, I guess the answer to your question is that we operate on a National basis here in Ozstralya. How we ever managed to agree on something like this is beyond me, since we can't all agree about things as simple as Daylight Savings Time

Hev

"no longer a stranger..."

#55764 02/11/02 01:16 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Helen, I did not know that matrimony is considered an Olympic sport. Now someone tell me how THAT might be judged, as well as "the difficulty of judging the sexual olympics"

#55765 02/11/02 01:17 AM
old hand
old hand
Thanks Hev - confirmed my understanding. Which puts the "Surprise!!" / "Spontaneous decision" of Elton John to get married to Renee whatsername years ago in Sydney into complete b***sh** category. Somebody knew about it for at least 30 days.

We have Federal and State Law for just about everything in Oz. It's very important that this be so because it requires lots of duplication of jobs (state to state and state to Canberra). This is the best way that's been found so far to minimise unemployment.

There are very few constants between states however. Popular items for nationalisation are things like gay reform (well behind the eight ball in Tasmania) and mandatory sentencing in WA (and the NT) on the "three strikes and you're out" principle.

Until recently, WA was a happy recalcitrent with its road rules. Use of hand held mobiles was OK until only a few months ago (banned everywhere else), maximum speed limit is 110km/h c/f 100 everywhere else - except for the NT - where there is NO speed limit outside the metro area. Our acceptable limit of alcohol in fully licensed drivers was 0.08 when all other states it was 0.05. Because most state road funding is doled out by the federal government however, WA was forced to bring these rules in line with other states - or risk losing much of the funding.

Each state also operate their own drivers' licensing scheme and, although I believe moves are afoot to nationalise it, ones driving record is only applicable to the state the license is issued. Thus, if you accrue sufficient points to lose your license in one state, you can get a "clean" license if you establish a residence interstate. (I implemented this when I moved from NSW to WA - was getting near the points limit. Must say however that after 17 years in WA my record has been exemplary.)

stales

#55766 02/13/02 03:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
From my layman's persective on the sport, I think Canada's Pelletier and Sale skated a flawless and magnificient program in the pairs figure skating and earned the Gold Medal (but I could be wrong). Anybody else have a humble opinion on this?

#55767 02/13/02 03:57 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#55768 02/13/02 04:05 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
There's no question--this was a major goof. It's an advantage to the TViewer that figure skating is seen live and not encapsulated like the outdoor daytime events. Seeing the Russian couple, then the Canadians, it was crystal-clear, even to the casual viewer who may not know a sit-spin from a triple-toe loop, that Sale and Pelletier had it iced, so to speak. Now, with the talk of deals and collusion among the judges, it's hard not to feel cynical about the whole Olympic scene, which many of us once thought of as squeaky-clean.

#55769 02/13/02 05:11 AM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
it's hard not to feel cynical about the whole Olympic scene, which many of us once thought of as squeaky-clean

What? It's not? Oh my...

And for the record ... I think Canada wuz rubbed too!

Hev

#55770 02/13/02 05:12 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>which many of us once thought of as squeaky-clean.

but the world of skating has been like this for years and years, so the story goes. give me a race of some kind (or some game where you put a ball in back of the net, first time) where the outcome mostly is decided by the athletes.

#55771 02/13/02 12:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
NBC (company that has US rights to air the games) conducted an informal poll (ie, viewers were invited to comment) and the tally was 96% for Canada, 4% Russians..i didn't vote, but i'd be in with the 96%--

it was so clear the canadians were better. even i could see it, and i know almost nothing about figure skating.

#55772 02/13/02 02:06 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The Russian man landed badly on two "jumps" and the program was pretty safe and staid.
The Canadians performed a complex and daring program absolutely flawlessly!

CANADA RULES ... and they wuz robbed.

I can't wait until they have computers tracking the skaters and comparing the performance to the "perfect" execution of figures and scoring them ... lets dump them judges!

OK all you tech folks out there ... lets get busy with that ...it can be done, can't it?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A miniature poodle won:

http://www.marlysmagazine.com/gear/poodle_card.jpg

Billy the Bernese mountain dog wuz robbed!!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#55775 02/13/02 02:34 PM
R
R
I'm with you wow - they were robbed. The Russian programme just left you going 'well that was quite nice', but the Canadians had me going 'wow' on several occasions (not wishing to take your name in vain or anything!). They were clearly the superior pair.

#55776 02/13/02 02:44 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Thanks for the support, guys. It's hard not to feel a little nationalistic about something like the Olympics, so when people from other countries show support for our athletes because they did a good job and were "robbed", it demonstrates sportsmanlike behaviour, on the part of all observers, at its finest. A sign of the true Olympic spirit - valuing good performance in sport over national allegiances.

Needless to say, everyone here is in a tizzy about it, and most people are pretty steamed. I didn't actually see the performance myself - the time zone thing is a bit of a hassle...Anyway, I wonder whether anything will be improved, with or without an inquiry, though...

#55777 02/13/02 02:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
actully, NBC last night presented a split screen-- since alot of the performence is "required elements". they had the russians on the right, the canadian on the left, and you could watch side by side, and easily compare the technical elements.. which is where the canadians got shortchanged.. they got 5.8 for technical merit.. not 5.9 or 6.0 (and since it was 99.9 percent perfect, maybe they didn't deserve a 6) but they did deserve a 5.9! and if they had gotten they marks they deserved, they would have won.

i think there choreography was better, it was modern, and lighthearted.. and skating often has more classic themes.. so you could argue if they had lost on artictic merit. but not on techinical elements.. there the case is clear cut.

#55778 02/13/02 05:00 PM
F
addict
addict
F
I heard an interesting comment this morning. It seems that the judges that favored the Russians were the Russian, Chinese, Polish, Ukraine and French judges and the four that favored the Canadians were the US, Canadian, and 2 other European judges I can't remember. Rather than being a Communist Bloc thing, this commentator suggested that the Russians more traditional, balletic (if that's a word) performance is more to the taste of figure skaters in those countries, while North Americans and Europeans appreciate the more emotional, entertaining, theatrical style of the Canadian routine.

I should add that I, too, was gobsmacked that the Russians won. If you total up the points from the judges that went with the Russians you get around 104, but the total points from judges going to the Canadians was over 105. Something like winning the popular vote but losing the Electoral College. Imagine if such a thing were to happen!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well of course he lost, due to his inebriety.

AKA

A Sauced Bernese

TEd
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I second Bean's post. Thanks to all.

I was lucky enough to watch the event (timezone favorable) and was, like most, floored by the outcome. You could even see the Canadian judge shaking his head in incomprehension. It was also so heartwrenching to see Salé weeping behind the scenes.

#55781 02/14/02 12:08 AM
old hand
old hand
(Belatedly)Count my hand for the Cannucks.

They knew - that emotion after the performance couldn't have been faked (could it?)

I knew,

Even Helen, by her own admission, knew!

Their performance brought a tear to my eye - whilst I just felt sorry for the Russians for stuffing up their routine .

When the result was flashed up, the conspiracist in me immediately thought - "Now, why have They organised it so that the Russians get the gold?" Hmmm.

stales

#55782 02/15/02 04:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Reuters is reporting the Olympic powers-that-be have overturned the judges' decision and are awarding the gold medal to Canada.
(still awaiting confirmation)

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Breaking News: The International Olympic Committee just announced it will award Sale and Pelletier an unprecedented second Gold Medal for their performance in the now-infamous pairs figure skating event!

YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! Justice is served! "O, Canada....!"

[edit. "unprecedented": aksherly, it's the 4th time double-gold has been awarded)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yeah, looks like a second gold medal will be awarded, so as not to strip the Russian pair of theirs. But this is apparently based on a leak, we have to await the news conference for confirmation. Hope it's true!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[edit. "unprecedented": aksherly, it's the 4th time double-gold has been awarded)

Really?? Wow. Have you a link?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oh I wish I had Bean's number we'd celebrate with a big Canadian yahoo!!!

Seriously, I've never seen so many Canadians in such a tizzy. Well, as much as Canadians can be in a tizzy. Strongly worded letters were being sent out and people were quite angry, well maybe not angry but definitely miffed, well o.k. not miffed, grumpy, politely grumpy, oh all right...I did hear my Granny say "dang it" on Wednesday.

All kidding aside guys, thanks for the support. We had so many people from all over the world cheering us on it was heartwarming.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
really? have you got a link?

No, it's just a mention in the Netscape Homepage news story.

It is the fourth time the IOC has awarded a second gold medal.

There's a search for a rainy day!

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
I read of one such case:
There was such an award in synchronized swimming at the 1992 Olympics, when Canada's Sylvie Frechette was belatedly awarded a gold medal after it was learned a judge made a mistake entering his mark into a computerized scoring system. The correct score would have left Frechette tied with the original gold medalist, Kristen Babb-Sprague of the U.S.
[verbatim; text easily found by google]

#55789 02/15/02 09:28 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
In the 1932 Olympics, Stella Walsh won the 100-meter spint over Canadian sprinter Hilda Strike. However, in 1980 Stella Walsh was killed during a robbery and at the coroner's inquest, "it appeared that Stella was an anatomically correct male."

When Hilda Strike was reached for comment, she was asked if she felt she deserved the gold, or if she would pursue the issue with the International Olympic Committee. No, Hilda replied, I don't think so. When we went out on the track that day, I accepted that field and raced against them. That was what happened that day.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Yeah, looks like a second gold medal will be awarded, so as not to strip the Russian pair of theirs.

what a two-faced, weak-kneed response.

#55791 02/15/02 10:18 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
tsuwm: what a two-faced, weak-kneed response.

I fully agree with you, tswum, that its proper to make a vigorous, tumultuous response to injustice, even a seditious one (as here) if necessary. I'm pleased you can be so worked up about such a matter.

Query how that relates to
tsuwm: it's generally fruitless to argue about values, be it ... the latest test match unless it's just for the sake of argument, which ... searching not seditiously for intent

#55793 02/15/02 10:25 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just announced : the gold will be awarded to Sale and Pelletier at the end of the figure skating competition.
Hope they get the anthem and all the bells and whistles! Heard an interview with Sale and Pelletier in which Sale said she missed having the medal and the National Anthem at the time.

New judges for the pairs event ... suspect French female judge (allegedly "pressured") is suspended.

AU CANADAHOORAH!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
max,

if the voting by one judge was unduly influenced, and if I were Olympic tsar (or czar) [someone is], I would throw out that judge's vote, recalculate the scores, and award the medals accordingly. but then, nothing is simple.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Hmmm. To be honest. I was kinda hoping the Russian skaters would hand over one of the gold medals to Salé & Pelletier. I may be naive but I *don't think the skaters were in on it (who would have pride in a medal one cheated to get?).

Handing over a medal would have won their place in the history books, and in the hearts and minds of people the world over, like saying "we know you were cheated and you deserve this."

#55796 02/15/02 10:49 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
That's exactly it Max. Maybe I'm overyly empathic but I feel sorry for the Russians and have from the start. The scapegoat is so often the little guy and these are the littlest guys.

That's why I thought the swapping would have been a great idea.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Please do not mistake my sentiments re the Canadian and Russian skaters. The Russian pair are wonderful skaters.
I was writing about one particular performance.
I saw the presentation of the medals and noticed the Russian man shook his head and he had rather rueful expression. Seen because the Russians were shaking hands with the Canadians who were on the podium, backs to the camera and the faces of the Russian pair were fully visible.
The latest news from the IOC says there is "no evidence of Russian involvement" in the incident (alleged misconduct by French judge.)
I look forward to the next time the two teams compete. Every competition stands alone.
And, both pairs are young and could well meet again in four years.

#55799 02/17/02 02:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Australia's Steven Bradbury wins Gold in the speed-skating short track!...when all the other skaters collided and fell! Congrats stales, hev, doc, paulb, et al!

#55800 02/17/02 03:01 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#55801 02/17/02 03:07 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
How do they decide who gets silver and bronze? Did anybody slide across the line all askew?

#55802 02/17/02 03:18 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
How do they decide who gets silver and bronze? Did anybody slide across the line all askew?

Nope. I'm afraid, bel, that the (please excuse me for using this, I know it's a 'dirty' word in Canada right now) judges decided by who they thought was ahead at the time of the collision, I guess. It happened near the end of the final lap, too. Ouch!

#55803 02/17/02 06:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
At least no one was killed. A moment of silence for Dale Earnhardt, if you please.

#55804 02/17/02 07:03 AM
old hand
old hand
I think this is our first ever gold - only a few bronzes in the past?

Wow - hey - we'll take it - however they come!!

And - I READ IT FIRST AT AWAD - Had to Google for the full story!!!! Shows how good our crappy 1 hour coverage per night is!

My neighbour asked a good question.....how will Bradbury regard the win - will he feel good about the "win" now - or some time in the future?

stales

#55805 02/17/02 07:34 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The figure-skating debacle was interesting from my perspective. We were in France at the time and when I watched the French summary of the day's events they showed a clip of the Russians, but not the Canadians. I wasn't aware that anything was going down at all. Then I found the BBC channel ... flipping backwards and forwards, the Beeb was interested in little else and the French channel was showing the luge. Do the French have a conscience? As I said, interesting.

As for the Australian gold, take it wherever you can, I say. Well as long as "I" ain't Steve Waugh, I guess.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#55806 02/17/02 08:56 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#55807 02/17/02 12:38 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Yup, I agree, he should feel good.

Speed skating is not just about getting first to the finish line, it is also about doing so while staying upright on an extremely slippery surface.

The same applies to a lot of winter sports. The surfaces and environment of the race/event are a part of the whole gestalt.

Congrats to him.

#55808 02/17/02 12:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Yep, fair and square. And in the clips, bel, they showed that the Silver medalist, Ohno, actually crawled over the finish line, cutting his leg with his skate in the process he was so determined to finish with a medal...the fall occurred only 20 meters away! I don't know about the Bronze medalist, though.
That's the sport!...Bradbury deserves it. Congrats, again, and well-done!

#55809 02/17/02 01:21 PM
old hand
old hand
Saw an interview with Stephen (?Steven - I should learn to spell his name!) tonight. His plan before arriving for the games was to repeat his bronze of four years ago. The tactics were to skate his best, get into the final, take rear position and assume / hope at least one would fall, hence opening the way for a place. He succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

He stated that the win didn't feel quite right, but that was an appropriate reward for him and his parents, considering all the hard work and sacrifices over the past 13 years. (In his words, "Short Track is a low profile sport in Australia and there's no money in it").

This is his 3rd Olympics - and his last. It will feel better with time.

My wife and I (probably with many others) were proud of the humility he showed on his victory lap and on the dias - and the fact that he sang along with the national anthem - the first time it's been played at a Winter Olympics!

stales

#55810 02/17/02 03:21 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Advance Australia Fair was proclaimed as our national anthem after exhaustive surveys of national opinion. In 1974 the Australian Bureau of Statistics conducted a national opinion poll of 60,000 and in 1977 a plebiscite for a national song was conducted. On each occasion, Advance Australia Fair was the preferred option, and it was in consideration of such support that Advance Australia Fair was proclaimed as the national anthem by the Governor-General on 19 April 1984.

"ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR"

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We’ve golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature’s gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history’s page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We’ll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who’ve come across the seas
We’ve boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Advance Australia Fair - Julie Anthony

#55811 02/17/02 03:31 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
wow: Advance Australia Fair was proclaimed as our national anthem

What? When did that happen? I knew Australian culture was creeping in, what with the summer Olympics and Survivor:Australia.

#55812 02/17/02 04:40 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
1) Hosannah!
2) Did I hear that the decision not to re-run the race was made by an Australian referee?

#55813 02/17/02 05:13 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
>My wife and I (probably with many others) were proud of the humility he showed on his victory lap and on the dias - and the fact that he sang along with the national anthem

I know what you're saying. I get goosebumps watching my countrymen play and teary when they win. You should be proud. And I really hope he does rejoice in his medal - he deserved it.

#55814 02/17/02 05:46 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Aye, 'twas foretold in the Bible.
Matthew 19:30

#55815 02/17/02 09:48 PM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Congrats stales, hev, doc, paulb, et al!

Oooh, I just lurve that I get to share in Steven Bradbury's success - yes, we're a pretty proud nation down here at the moment for our first ever Winter Olympics Gold, and thanks for your wishes W'ON (and everyone else). CONGRAT ULATI ONS! Steven Bradbury!!

And in reply to Max Q since I can't be a***ed posting again:

"Well done Oz - how'd ya rig tha one?"

No need to rig, Max. Just took the usual Aussie approach to things:

"She'll be right mate"
"If you hang around long enough, someone is bound to stuff up"
"It worked last time (semi-final). If it ain't broke - don't fix it!"

proud to be Aussie!

Hev

#55816 02/18/02 01:00 AM
old hand
old hand
Thanks for posting the words wow - just a quick note but....

Julie Anthony (credited at the base of your clip) is a well known Auzzie singer - does a marvellous job of the anthem at footy matches etc. As for who wrote it - dunno.

The second verse is unknown to 99% of us. I for one read it with interest! You'll note most of the audience reading from song sheets at sporting contests - or the bouncing ball on the big screen!

stales

B
veteran
veteran
B
No Tsuwm, it was really gratifying to see the two pairs amicably taking their places and being honored. The Canadians certainly deserved the gold medal (I saw their performance and it was every bit as good as it was said to be), but the Russian pair did not deserve to be penalized by having their medals taken away. Apparently the young people themselves saw it that way. For once, good sportsmanship prevailed (among the contestants, at least). Vivat Canada!

#55818 02/18/02 05:25 AM
D
addict
addict
D

#55819 02/18/02 07:07 AM
old hand
old hand
Excellent link Doc - thanks!!

Now I know that:

* Who wrote the thing

* There are 5 verses.

* The second verse we sing is aksherly the 3rd

* (To cross thread) Flag waving was unpopular back in '84 ....."Mr Peter Brown, 21, of Middle Park said: "I don't like flag-waving songs, 'Click go the Shears' would be just as good - at least sheep can identify with it."

stales

#55820 02/18/02 11:33 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
A little belatedly I'd like to add my congratulations to the Aussies on the speed skating medal (I tend not to hang out on the Board on weekends, so I'm a bit late coming to the party...). I do wish I'd have seen the race - sounds like quite a show! Way to go!

R
addict
addict
R
Whilst watching the opening ceremony I could not help but notice how the Europeans and North Americans trembled with fear before the mighty hordes from the Antipodes.

27 from Oz (3 of whom were knocked out of their comp on the first day) and 19 from Zild. Be very, very afraid.

Congrats, Oz! This makes your earlier post even funnier, Stales.

Have a look at the write-up by Tom Humphries in today's IT. It's a howl!

http://www.ireland.com/sports/olympics/winter/2002/news/0218/news1.htm

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Wonderful - thanks for that, Rubrick!

Now a word question [unshocked]

Long hair and a little smig which looks like it's been stolen from somebody's genitalia. (EA)

From context I can figure what he *probably means, but is anyone else owning up to knowing this word?!

#55823 02/18/02 02:21 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
If you Google Australian National Anthem you'll get lots of choices. The one from the Boys Brigade link has the words and automatic music and also offers words to "Waltzing Matilda!" and other neat stuff. The blurb says :
Composed by Peter Dodds McCormick sometime around 1878 and in 1983 a new version of the song was adopted by ...
http://www.boys-brigade.org.au/ozfacts/natanthem.htm

Was the former anthem "God Save The Queen?"

smig No idea, do tell.

#55824 02/18/02 03:15 PM
R
addict
addict
R
Smig:- slang term for a strip-shaped goatee beard.

#55825 02/18/02 03:22 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
yeah, that's certainly what I *hoped it had to be!

so it that specifically Irish, do you know Rubrick?

#55826 02/18/02 03:33 PM
R
addict
addict
R
so it that specifically Irish, do you know Rubrick?

You know, I really haven't a clue! I can't find a reference to it anywhere. OED and Cambridge refer to some sort of 19th c. Haddock bait.

Guess it's a coined word.

#55827 02/18/02 05:08 PM
old hand
old hand
FYI, WO'N, it wasn't a judges' decision as to who got silver and bronze. Short track photo-finishes are decided by when the tip of the blade crosses the finish line... all of the competitors had enough presence of mind to know that they still had cause to get across the line, and head-first wasn't going to do. Very interesting to watch Ohno's finish with that in mind ~

#55828 02/18/02 07:32 PM
T
stranger
stranger
T
! A trophy to Australia for having a national anthem that makes no reference to bombs, guns, swords, and other implements of destruction.

I'm still puzzled by the plebiscite, though. An Aussie friend tells me that "Waltzing Matilda" nearly won out. True or false? (that W.M. nearly won, not that a friend told me ) - I suppose I should also say that the same friend asked, "Who is this Gert, and what's she doing by the sea anyway?"

Tsyganka, who wishes the U.S. had a different anthem

#55829 02/18/02 08:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, ours is pretty harmless. In fact, in effect, it's saying "please don't come over here and beat the living bejeesus outta us 'cause we can't do a damned thing to stop you!"

The words are here ...

http://nz.com/NZ/Culture/Music/NatAnthem.html

Waltzing Matilda, on the other hand, appeals to many Ozzies because it glorifies a sheep stealer which, deep inside their larcenous hearts, most Ozzies wish they were ...

#55830 02/18/02 11:43 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Cap, I gather that NZ was a rather religious place by your anthem. Is it still so?

#55831 02/18/02 11:57 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#55832 02/19/02 12:03 AM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
And we did it again...

CONGRAT ULATI ONS Alisa Camplin in the ski-jump!!

My, my .. with this kind of success, Australia will be a world-power in winter sports in no time ha ha

Hev

old hand
old hand
OMG - Anotheree - and this time won fairly and squarely!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your best wishes.

Henceforth this week should be known as Olympic Gold Week - and be a public holiday throughout Oz and its dominions.

stales

old hand
old hand
Tom Humphries' article is a howl - THANKYOU.

stales

#55835 02/19/02 02:31 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Just a note to congratulate Switzerland's Simon Ammann on his remarkable achievement in winning 2 ski jumping Gold Medals, the first a stunning surpise victory and riveting to watch! So, wsieber, if you're looking in, here's to you!

And if belligerentyouth is peeking in...just how many Gold Medals does Deutschland want?!!! Sheesh! Congrats on them all!

And, of course, kudos to Australia's second-ever winter Gold! And nobody fell?

#55836 02/19/02 03:21 AM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
And, of course, kudos to Australia's second-ever winter Gold! And nobody fell?

Yes, Jacqui Cooper did. Sheesh... had she not bunged her knee up in training we may have come away with the double!!

We're happy little vegemites as bright as bright can be...

Hev

#55837 02/19/02 03:35 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The suspended French skating judge to the press today: "The British judging-President made me do it, she beat me up!" Wh-wh-what!!! The British lady denies it, of course: "I haven't the slightest clue what she's talking about," she replied. (just when you thought it was safe to watch the rest of the Olympics)

#55838 02/19/02 04:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(warning: off-topic):

hev, when are you going to add your pic to Max's photo gallery? I for one would truly like to see what a happy little vegemite looks like!
(I already know what a sad little one tastes like )

uh-oh, have I just committed a food post?

#55839 02/19/02 09:11 PM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
<off-topic again> but then considering how many topic variations these threads have how does one judge this

hev, when are you going to add your pic to Max's photo gallery? I for one would truly like to see what a happy little vegemite looks like!

Well, according to the ads I've seen on tv, happy little vegemites are black and white children with very rosy cheeks. (See picture about half way down the page on the right at this link.)

http://www.vegemite.com.au/hist.asp?area=3&year=1980

And if you want to be able to hear and sing the "Happy Little Vegemites" song:

http://www.vegemite.com.au/singalong.asp?area=4

So ... I guess you won't need a photo now!

Hev

#55840 02/19/02 10:40 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Heyyyy, that jar looks suspiciously like the Kraft Peanut Butter Bear. Is the Vegemite made by Kraft?

H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Heyyyy, that jar looks suspiciously like the Kraft Peanut Butter Bear. Is the Vegemite made by Kraft?

Scandal! Yes, Vegemite is made by Kraft, and the reason I say scandal is that when Kraft bought Vegemite all of Australia was up in arms about an Aussie Icon being produced by an American company.

Another Aussie Icon [tongue firmly placed in cheek] Dick Smith then decided to produce an Australian version, called Mighty Mite (or something like that) and try to convince Australia to keep our Dollars (worth the little that they are) out of the hands of those e-vil USns . Let's just say it hasn't taken off as well as he would have liked. There's a lot to be said for branding. I still buy Vegemite.

Hev

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
There's a lot to be said for branding.

Yup, and cute litte bear jars that kiddies can use and banks.

#55843 02/20/02 01:40 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well,well! Handshakes and High fives to the USA women's bobsled team. Gold medals and the first gold medal won in the winter games by an African American.

#55844 02/20/02 02:13 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Yup, and cute litte bear jars that kiddies can use as banks

Maybe someone could send a Vegemite Bear jar to Wordapalooza for a prize,and we could taste the stuff.
(A hint? Moi? Heaven forfend!)

#55845 02/20/02 02:19 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
taste the stuff

to say nothing of waffles with maple syrup, yumyum... :)

and *definitely to say nothing of Rhuby's confusion with the custard!

#55846 02/20/02 03:49 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Ooo, ooo, the gauntlet has been thrown down...the Canadian and U.S. ladies hockey teams are facing off tomorrow. We haven't won an Olympic game yet against the U.S. so you *know* I'll be watching that.

Connie, you'll have to sit by your tele at same time or else the cheering will be unbalance with me whooping it up for our ladies

#55847 02/20/02 04:02 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I'm wondering if you can bring food into the U.S. when traveling by plane. I am pretty sure I can get through customs with my maple syrup since I'll be by car (and I have an innocent looking face ) but I can just picture having to rescue our AWAD brethren from the airport security guys. "no, no, really officer, it is a yummy spread made from brewer's yeast" "yes sir, brewer's yeast sir" "Why is it black you ask??" "um, um good question there sir, um..."

#55848 02/20/02 06:18 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Maybe someone could send a Vegemite Bear jar to Wordapalooza for a prize,and we could taste the stuff.

Having tasted the stuff, I think that "prize" isn't quite the appropriate term. Unless you preface it with "booby."

#55849 02/20/02 06:45 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#55850 02/20/02 06:59 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Ha! I'll have you know, Max, that my taste of Vegemite was prepared, thinly spread, by a gen-u-ine Ozzie. FWIW, I don't like caviar, either.

#55851 02/20/02 07:17 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#55852 02/20/02 07:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And what's more, the stuff you get in England is rubbish. It has the same kinda bottle, the same kinda colour, but the taste is .... bleeecch! Unlike the genuwine Australasian real deal ....

#55853 02/20/02 07:35 PM
A
addict
addict
A
to say nothing of waffles with maple syrup, yumyum... :)

Sparteye, you makin' us waffles for breaky? With Bel's maple syrup? If'n I can, I'll make some maple fudge, courtesy of your recipes!

#55854 02/20/02 07:56 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Sparteye's makin us waffles. Oh we love you Sparteye. Isn't she just the nicest thing. Waffles, mmmmmmm. You know that is friendship food. International hug arriving at you fast.

(how can she say no now )

#55855 02/20/02 09:03 PM
A
addict
addict
A
(how can she say no now )

I dunno how she can say no Bel! I have two waffle irons I could bring with me to make the task easier.

I can just see me explaining to customs, "yes sir, they are waffle irons. What are they for? Well, um, they are, um, for making waffles?" She said wafflingly!

#55856 02/20/02 09:11 PM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Maybe someone could send a Vegemite Bear jar to Wordapalooza for a prize

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a Vegemite Bear Jar around for a while. I suspect they were a "limited time only" thing.

Hev

#55857 02/20/02 09:15 PM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Them thar's fightin' words Spartacus! Impugning Vegemite is treadin' on dangerous ground. Take it back, I warns ya, take it back

Yeah! Wot he said... hey, stales, doc, paulb ... see that Kiwi defending our Aussie product?

Hev

#55858 02/20/02 09:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, let's see. I have a waffle iron I can bring as well. Strawberries will be in season[yumm-e]. Ginnette, I bought some [red/brown] raspberry chocolate [/red/brown] today to share with y'all if I don't eat it all myself. If the Kiwis are taking requests, I desperately need a jar of Gran's Remedy[holding my nose-e] I'll be watching and cheering the US'n girls, you betcha

#55859 02/20/02 09:32 PM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
You do realise how rare it is is for NZers to revere an Australian product,

Noted! And appreciated!

as opposed to one that they merely claim to have invented?

Oh yeah, which one you talkin' 'bout now? Pavlova? Lamingtons? Crowded House? Sheesh! Joh Bjelke-Petersen? ... oh, on second thoughts - you can have him

Maxina Wyrdlepleen stirring again

And I bite back ... Ya got me!

Hev

#55860 02/20/02 09:32 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#55861 02/20/02 09:38 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#55862 02/21/02 03:35 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have an excellent recipe for banana nutmeg waffles which goes wonderfully with maple syrup.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith