M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Cheap Book Review
Books by library, Review by me.

[ The following books are in some way Awad related. Time passed, but I dutifully read each one but I am slow. Now I find I have nowhere to post my opinions, hence this post with three to follow.

The Girl with a Pearl Earring:
Tracy Chevaier
Reviewers Predisposition: Never not ever, would I have read a seventeenth century novel written by a “woman” revolving around the imagined romantic life of the painter Vermeer as seen through the eyes of an imaginary sixteen- year- old girl. Maverick, however, recommended it, and an excerpt I read demonstrated adroit writing .

The good:The Girl with a Pearl Earring is a one-sit-read. Even before opening the book Vermeer’s girl looks up to the reader from the book cover with allure and the reader is hooked. He wants to know this girl better and Tracy Chevaier has the writing talent to accommodate with seemingly effortless congruent syntax and an intelligent word selection. Before you know it you are two-thirds through the book. Now comes the good part, you'd say...

The Bad...the pages dwindle down to a precious few. Oh no, I was thinking, this can’t be real, Tracy Chevaier doesn’t know how to plot. But it’s true, she doesn’t. This realisation leads to a retroactive examination the storyline with unhappy results. Griet, the sixteen-year-old servant girl who is the eyes and mind of the book, is shallow and boring. She is a bit calculating and perceives all men as dullards. As I closed the pages to this soap opera I avoided looking at the cover. Tracy Chevaier accomplished one thing with my reading of this novel; I’ll never be able to look at Vermeer’s painting of the Girl with A Pearl Earring without seeing the little wench “Griet”.
Next...
Ella Minnow Pea
-Mark Dunn

#55693 02/08/02 12:17 PM
old hand
old hand
Thank you for this contribution. Quite generally, I prefer reading book reviews to reading books. You get more for less. This is one of the great features of Amazon (I'm not paid by them).

#55694 02/11/02 02:52 PM
M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Closed: This site is Officially Closed.

Some thoughtful person has conjured up Maverick’s original thread -MAKING A NOISE, so as a matter of propriety, my collection of book reviews will be posted there.

So bookmophiles and bookmophilettes everywhere please remember, the wiring has been pulled from the speakers, and fat Elvis has left the building. I hope to see you all ( I think that means you, wsieber) over at Fun and Games.

I now declare this thread Closed.

#55695 02/12/02 01:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I now declare this thread Closed.
Now, My Lum, Honey, you oughta know I can't resist a challenge like that one. [sneaking up to tap you on your cute little censored out e] TAG--you're It!

#55696 02/12/02 11:47 AM
M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M

I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! The one person I can’t berate publicly or privately, sprang my trap. Jackie, Jackie, Jackie, do not they have sayings up south in Louisville like let sleeping dogs lie? I wish The Plutarch was here I could show him an example of omegistcy in the prime. But of course I won’t.

Ah well, The moving finger haven writ, has writ, so let us all move on, secure in our newfound knowledge that simply begetting a thread does not indenture one to ownership. And so, in accord with the kinder and gentler Awad postings of late, I do now declare (that is if it is OK with the rest of you} that this site is Closed.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 748 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith