Page 1 of 2 1 2
#55246 02/04/02 04:25 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Chautauqua reminds me of a teaching aid by that name which my mother bought me when I was five years old. I still marvel at the excellence of the concept. It was a small folding desk without legs, to be put on a low table, with a green chalkboard that folded down to horizontal, and a long paper scroll with all sorts of educational material on it. I spent many happy hours with it. My recollection is that it was conceived at a summer meeting place for teachers in upstate New York, which gave it its name. Too bad the teaching aid I valued so much apparently did not survive the twenties.

#55247 02/05/02 02:17 AM
A
addict
addict
A
Oh, Dr. Bill, I thought this thread was going to tell of the beauty of Lake Chautauqua and the surrounding area, one of my favorite places nearby. During the summer, my husband and I take our yearly motorcycle trek down to the lake to have lunch on the shore. There is a working ferry boat at Bemis Point (about the midway point on the lake). There is also a beautiful paddle boat that gives you a nice tour of the lake for a small fee. The lake is surrounded by vineyards that produce the Chautauqua wines. Many small, local wineries offer tours and tasting. [hiccuping-e]

#55248 02/05/02 02:54 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Angel: Glad at least I revived pleasant memories. The only times I have driven through upstate New York, it was alway in a big hurry to visit my wife's people in Kalamazoo, MI. I'm surprised that that little teaching aid died out so quickly and completely. I wish I had had one when my kids were small. Bill

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
On Memorial Day weekend (May) of 1999, my first year at Historic Cold Spring Village, they had a traveling tent show of historical import called a Chautauqua. Completely new to me, I learned to my amazement it was a late 19th-early 20th century American (USn) Institution that toured the country presenting an enticing amalgam of music, drama, and political, literary, religious, scientific, philosophical, and humorous oration. Part of the ensemble included a Teddy Roosevelt portrayer, among other historic figures. A truly fascinating and stimulating concept and presentation! It was kind of like that time period's mass media all rolled into one. And it was under the Chautauqua tent that Mark Twain presented and perfected his humorous diatribes. Some say it spawned early Vaudeville, but most would consider any association to Vaudeville an insult to the integrity of what Chautauqua represented to the people of the time. My foremost reaction was, "Why haven't I ever heard about this before? Never in school, never in a history book, not even a mention. Chautauqua was so important and influential a feature in the formative process of that time in our nation's history, why is it not taught about?" I'm well-familiar with Vaudeville, having been involved with show-business...but even in that circle there was never any mention of the earlier Chautauqua. And I'm a history buff, I suck everything up...so why it took decades of my life to discover this unique and intriguing facet of our history is beyond me. So for those of you who are lucky enough to come across this info at a younger age, delve your curiosities into the fascinating history of Chautauqua...which began on the banks of Chautauqua Lake, of Angel's mention, in southwestern New York. Here's a couple of links that give capsule histories. I can't locate my papers on this offhand, but when I do I'll come back with any more intriguing facts I might recall. And, of course, there is a current movement of recreating these traveling Chautauqua,
so if you see one come around, by all means catch it!

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/alliance/chautauqua/History.html

http://www.prairie.org/chacha/hartchahist.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>there is a current movement of recreating these traveling Chautauqua

these things have been making a 'comeback' since my boyhood, which was quite a long time ago indeed -- they must have had a long way to come back.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Surprises me PBS (US Public Broadcasting) hasn't tumbled on to Chautauqua and done a series! They did Wolf Trap after all!
Any PBSers out there reading?

#55252 02/06/02 04:13 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Dr. Bill, back to your original post...

I had something when I was little (not as long ago, since I was born in 1976) which sounds like it is a descendant of your Chautauqua. It was a slate (not a real slate, since magnets could stick to it) mounted on a box about 5" in height. The slate was tilted slightly toward you, the whole thing was meant to sit on a table. There were sliding doors somewhere on the box, and inside there were cardboard stencils. There were guides along the sides of the slate so you could slip one onto the slate and trace letters of the alphabet. Also inside were a whole bunch of alphabet magnets, so you could spell things on the slate that way. As I recall, there was a lot of information on those little cards.

I'd completely forgotten about it until I read your post. Thanks for reminding me - it was a favourite toy of mine, too!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
PBS hasn't tumbled on to Chautauqua

PBS is television, wow. NPR and/or PRI ha(ve/s) done many a program from and/or about Chautauqua.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
PBS is television, wow. NPR and/or PRI ha(ve/s) done many a program from and/or about Chautauqua.

Right you are Faldage!
What I'm plugging for is for PBS-TV to have a series called "Chautauqua" where we could see and hear the "performance" be it lecture, dance, song, or whatever ... not simply a discussion of the Chautauqua event itself.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a series called "Chautauqua" where we could see and hear the "performance"

from

That's what the from was about. They broadcast events from Chatauqua with a little blurb about Chautauqua up front. Course it was only radio, so you had to be content with listening to the music; couldn't watch it. Except in your mind's eye.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith