About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#54123 01/29/02 11:21 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie, I agree with you. That was hilarious.

Helen, yeah. I love it that we were all concerned about you... for all we knew, you were working at the WTC. Faldage may be a nit-picker you should have to live with him, already! but at least he let us know you weren't in the thick of it. And I *still think your award should have been for the pub thang .

Thanks, Jazz, for this reminder.

#54124 01/29/02 11:27 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I must say, I don't know if you guys all realize this, but I talk about daily Board happenings at home at suppertime as if you were people who worked with me in my office:

"Oh man, there was a thread today about such-and-such - WordWind asked about something - and stales posted some info - and then Dr. Bill had a great WWII story about it - and Sparteye knew the legal background - and helen had this great piece of obscure information - and then Faldage said something just to be contrary - and MaxQ quoted Douglas Adams - and tswum looked it up on the OED - and CK had a vaguely related sheep story - and FiberBabe mentioned lutefisk - and BelM made a Canadian joke that was probably lost on the others - ..." and on it goes...(BTW, that was not trying to be an all-inclusive list of people...)

So you guys have become part of my group of friends, and my husband feels like he knows you guys, too. And that's probably the best thing I've taken from this Board. The sideline cultural exchanges, as stales pointed out above, are the icing on the cake!

#54125 01/29/02 02:11 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My best experience is also that of the global friendships made possible here. Nowhere else have I ever encountered anybody who cared an owl's hoot that the formation of slippery is the result of an obscure grammatical choice made by our great-great-great-great-great-great-etc grandparents. But even better, here the discussions can ramble on about language, or even off onto some tangent, with an exquisite blend of academia, humor, bawdiness and philosophy. Not to mention food, engineering, and rocks. This is the best salon on the net.

#54126 01/29/02 02:28 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
an exquisite blend of academia, humor, bawdiness and philosophy. Not to mention food, engineering, and rocks.

LMFAO!

This is the best salon on the net.

174!

#54127 01/30/02 02:53 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Sparteye, in your very comprehensive list, you forgot about cricket. In spite of all the explanations which have been provided from time to time, I still don't have more than a vague notion of what the hell goes on in a cricket match, and probably never will, but I love reading about it. I love the language of cricket. The mention of LBW gives me a frisson of delight. (Hope I'm not accidentally revealing something unseemly in my subconscious.)

#54128 01/30/02 09:41 AM
R
addict
addict
R
In spite of all the explanations which have
been provided from time to time, I still don't have more than a vague notion of what the hell goes on in a
cricket match, and probably never will, but I love reading about it.

Then have a look at my cricket team's web pages. I threw them together in a couple of days so they're not perfect but I'm updating them before the next cricket season starts (May '02). Have a look, especially, at the cricket rules (note rules, cricket has laws!) and the poetry pages. After the rules you'll be befuddled but the poetry is pure genius (a couple by me, btw). I'll bet you never thought the two went together!

http://www.tcd.ie/Clubs/MP/

My best experience of the AWAD board was just after I joined. There were only a few of us on this side of the pond (me and jmh, really) and so I would look forward to all of the replies to my posts in the morning from the USns and I would often stay behind in work for hours to engage in the real-time discussions with the forum members. I'd never been invoved with chatrooms or any other similar group before so this was my first venture into cyberspace discussion (email excepted). I remember a particularly good slugging match with tsuwm about 'feminism' which went on for hours. He won, of course. damn him

#54129 01/30/02 01:07 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Well, Jazzo, that is a very good question, and not one that is easy to answer.

Like so many of you, the "best experience" is an amalgam of many good ones. Meeting Jackie (virtually) and really meeting Jo in Edinburgh for tea in the best hotel in Princes Street are an important part of it, as are the many off-board contacts with a number of you.
Another important facet is the intellectual stimulus of conversing with so many people who think that words and language are not only important but fun.

Another high spot for me was AnnaS's surprise when I made a riposte to her post about the Lugnuts - I would never have taken that much interest in the sport otherwise! BTW, I share BYB's lack of understanding about cricket! It's cultural exchanges like this that also add so much value to the board.

But I suppose if I have to pick out the single on-board aspect that really turns me on and keeps me returning, even when I haven't the time to do more than lurk, is the zany humour of so many of you - especially Max, mav and TEd, of course, but nearly everyone has, at some time, had me doubled up with laughter.

I really am looking forward to meeting some of you at this June - that's going to be the high spot of this year, if not this century!

#54130 01/30/02 01:21 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I had here a lot of beautiful moments, to meet a lot of you all...
But the memories the more deep and intense are related to sad moments we shared : the death of BeingCJ, and the death of the friend of maverick.

#54131 01/30/02 01:26 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
our most memorable or most enjoyed experiences related to the board.

Memorable : Reading about AWAD in Smithsonian, looking in at wordsmith.org and discovering a wonderful place peopled by really neat folks.

Enjoy : clicking the folder in my "favorites" list and finding myself among people who are interesting, informed, amusing and willing to share. AND who are patient and understanding of my ramblings, a big plus for this old lady.

Thank you all for some wonderful times.

#54132 01/30/02 04:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a vague notion of what the hell goes on in a cricket match

One bunch of fellers throws a ball around and the other bunch tries to hit it with a stick. When the other bunch hits it with the stick they get to run around a lot. Then they change places. The bunch of fellers that ran around the most wins.

This is unlike the vastly superior game of baseball in which simply running around a lot after hitting the ball with a stick doesn't necessarily accomplish anything. In baseball one must be capable of following up on running around a lot.

My best experience on this board? Most of you already know, but for any newcomers I think it is best summed up in my bio:

A) Beyond all hope Anastrophied have I been

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith