Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#54113 01/28/02 06:08 PM
J
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
There have been a lot of bad vibes floating around this place recently, so in an attempt to lighten the mood and focus on the positive, perhaps we can all share our most memorable or most enjoyed experiences related to the board.

Mine, I think, would have to be the thread I started when I was graduating from high school. At the time I had begun thinking very deeply about how my life would change from then on and I was apprehensive about such a big move forward. Your response was wonderful. The caring, congratulations and advice you all shared with me was very meaningful. I'm now in my second quarter of college and doing well. I like to think that some of your comments have helped me with the transition. Thanks.

#54114 01/28/02 06:18 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Jazz: I can't think of any particular incident worth commenting on. But my discovery of the board was a genuine thrill. If I had been born wealthy, I think I would have concentrated entirely on language. But after leaving college I had little or no contact with people interested in language, or more particularly, interested in words. There are so many people on the board who know more about language than I do, that I have enjoyed their provision of information I cannot get elsewhere.

#54115 01/28/02 07:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I guess, Jazz, in some respects you're the Board mascot. Not counting our New York friend Screw-the-Pooch, you're probably the youngest person on the Board, and I think a lot of us are watching your progress with a rather proprietorial eye.

My best experience related to the Board undoubtedly had to be meeting some of you last year when Sandra and I were cavorting and carousing across the US without a care in the world except for the exchange rate.

The thing I noticed most was that everyone was exactly what they appeared to be from their posts - no one we met was using a persona which had little or no relationship to their own personalities.

And that's why what's happened in the last week or so hurts so much - I know that most of you are exactly what you seem to be. Still and all, that's not too bad, is it?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#54116 01/28/02 09:53 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#54117 01/28/02 11:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what a wonderful idea, Jazzo! for me, it was the 40 to 50 post that awaited me when i got home on Sept 11th.. I hadn't been too upset or worried most of the day.. after all, i knew i was safe. but it made me feel so cared for to come home and find, even thought phone service was severly disrupted, i was able to get on line.. and waiting for me, all of your love and concern. i loved the way every one worked to gether, with faldage checking out NYC maps, to check out how near (or close) i had been to WTC-- and correctly assesing that i was most likely safe, and just trudging home.. and Jo sharing my home number with others, so they could try to call..
one thing i recognize about my life, is because i ended up maturing and going to college later in life than most of my cohort, i missed out forming life long friendships with like minded people--that always bothered me.. i still felt like the odd man out-- i was still the geek that read the dictionary for enjoyment. but here.. here i am a simpleton, for as much as know, i sorely lack the depth.. in a private post some one describe the condition -- a mile wide and micron deep-- and yes, that's me.. but now days, i have the company of all of you.. and place now, my knowledge extend to a full quarter inch!

i have also had the pleasure of meeting several members--and look forward to meeting more in June.

so-- it's really sad -- i will be here less for a while.. there are 2 major roll-outs going on- starting next month (feb) and both have manditory training... and the training manager is retiring.. so we will be short handed to boot! i will check in, and i will try to keep in touch.. if you don't have my real email address.. ask me.. i will check my email more often than AWAD.. and three months from now.. i'll be back...
i am so addicted, i am sure i will find some time for AWAD-- i just have to give something else up.. i know, sleep.. maybe i could just stop sleeping every night.

#54118 01/29/02 12:07 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh Max, my face is on fire! But, thank you, my DEAR friend!
I do love you deeply. [blush!]
My ONE best time?? You want me to pick ONE??? (Excellent idea, though, JazzO.) Oh my gosh. The very best time I've had ON the board was when tsuwm got "kidnapped". Tears streaming! I have to say that my very best experience FROM the board is learning, from so many different cultures and viewpoints, that people from all over the world have so many similarities. Closely followed by the amazing and wonderful friendships I have made. Anu--bless you, sir.

#54119 01/29/02 12:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
One [of the hundreds!] of my best experiences from this board was when I met Jackie, belMarduk, and musick in Chicago this fall. All I can say is "I'm addicted!".If you don't believe me, go to the ballroom in Words from Medicine.
Thanks Jazz.

#54120 01/29/02 04:07 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Actually® Jazzo, you yourself, along with JimTheDog and his brother Pi (both of whom we haven't heard from recently -- hope they haven't gone away) are part of my favorite experience here. I have done a good bit of volunteer work with young men in my time and enjoyed it immensely. When it seemed that you could use a few hints at a really crucial (in the literal and figurative sense) point in your life, and when JTD let us know about what he wanted to do and the inadequacies of his school which frustrated him, there were so many people here who were prompt to jump in and offer advice and assistance and I felt that I was part of a group that just might make a difference in a young guy's development. Quite possibly not, but not for lack of effort.

#54121 01/29/02 05:50 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oh gosh. "most memorable or most enjoyed experiences related to the board" How to choose? All the people I'd never have known otherwise. All the websites I'd never have found otherwise. All the love and caring that wafts around on this board that I'd never have felt otherwise.

Bingley

Bingley
#54122 01/29/02 07:27 AM
old hand
old hand
I have several "best" memories - but I am a geologist and we always have at least two opinions on everything....

(1) The warm welcome (initial and continued) from Jackie, and from others along the way.

(2) The "off board" string of PM's with Bean. We have similar educational backgrounds and share a great interest in the cultural pursuits of each other's countries. It is most unlikely I would have met somebody like her in my normal peregrinations.

(3) Wordwind's questions. They are ones that I liked to answer and that she seemed to like to ask - a perfect commensal relationship.

(4) Addicted in Kalgoorlie.

notbackyet stales

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith