Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#53922 01/29/02 01:45 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
But seriously, folks. Is anyone besides me struck by a resemblance to Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama series, in which the benevolent aliens set up a colony where all human needs are freely provided for, but then humanity's baser side emerges and knocks the whole thing apart, and then some? Is this starting to sound familiar?

#53923 01/29/02 01:56 AM
D
stranger
stranger
D
Jeepers, if lurkers can lurk creepily and Asps can sting, what the dickens?

#53924 01/29/02 03:35 AM
J
old hand
old hand
J
I, for one, have to say that I have no problem with casual observers. I think it's entirely possible for someone to be interested in a topic and want to learn something, but not really have anything that they care to say about it. I've browsed plenty of discussion boards without posting and I've posted maybe twice on the Survivor discussion board that I visit occasionally.

We say we want to be open to everyone. Well, people are watching, and as far as I'm concerned, they're welcome.

That, of course, doesn't mean they wouldn't be more welcome if they actually did post.

R
addict
addict
R
Who are you Jeepers?

You have evidently been around for a while since you know how we interact on this Board, you know how we
kid around and you know how we welcome strangers. YET you post under a stranger's title and name.

For some reason I am very uncomfortable with that.

Everybody here knows me as belMarduk. I am who I am, and I will always stand up and be counted as such. It
doesn't matter if I ever have an argument with someone or if someone attacks me in a PM. No-one will take
my name away and I will not let them. If I ever leave and come back I will come back as belMarduk. I will not
hide and I will stand up as myself.

Why do you not?

When I first read Jeepers post and then yours, BelM, I agreed with yours. Now, on reflection, I'm not so sure. Sure, Jeepers has only posted three times and has an 'uncanny' grasp of the AWAD board. Then again you can get a good idea of people's characters and the workings of this forum simply by sifting through a few threads.

Jeepers may be a pseudonym of an old or established member but I'm not wholly convinced. If you join a forum such as this and have the enthusiasm for words and discussion which we all purport to share then that will come out early on, shouldn't it? Many viewers 'lurk' in the shadows waiting for their opportunity to contribute a word or two. Perhaps Jeepers has been here since day one and has been happy to watch from the sidelines and enjoy the banter, discussion and progress rather than partake themselves. If that were the case then he/she would naturally be familiar with everything.

Many members don't have bios listed for reasons of privacy. I don't mind listing my name although their was always the risk of attracting unwanted attention. Jeepers has every right to remain anonymous as do we all, if we wish. As for 'coming back as someone else', it's not unknown for AWAD members to change their usernames and, indeed, use several. Again, that is up to the individual. Perhaps it makes their contributions more fun or, yet again, they have privacy issues.

Regardless of all this I see no reason why Jeepers apparent name change should make you uncomfortable. Jeepers is a username, a nom-de-plume used to gain anonymity. Mine is Rubrick but you can easily look up my real name in my bio. I don't see any sinister connotations attached to Jeepers reason to remain anonymous or to his/her fundamental knowledge of the workings of this forum. Are we suggesting that, unless someone joins the forum in complete ignorance, they are to be marginalised and viewed with suspicion?

Jeepers comments were perfectly acceptable and appropriate. Lest we forget the nature of this thread we are in danger of losing another new member if we criticise him/her and question his/her identity.

#53926 01/29/02 11:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Rubrick, a little bit of inter alia would do you good, my friend.

I don't care to discuss this further in this here thread . We shall E.

post-edit Excuse me. I thought inter alia was a fairly common expression, and I apologize now for not providing a translation in white. It literally means "between the lines" ... to explain it metaphorically would be almost as challenging as explaining a pun.

#53927 01/29/02 11:11 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I've read this thread a couple of times now, and mulled it over a bit, and I'm still rather shocked. I don't understand why someone would send "nasty" PMs, and I can completely understand how one or two badly timed ones would make someone want to leave. But I wish it weren't so. (Just wanted to publicly post my support for the people who were offended, even though they're probably not reading the Board any more to know that I did post. I felt I had to say something, anything at all, even if it was too late by the time I could bring myself to say something...)

#53928 01/29/02 11:27 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear AnnaStrophic,
Please enlighten me. My latin is a little lacking but my dictionary says that inter alia means "among other things" and that does not make sense in the context you have provided. Is there a different meaning to this phrase that does not appear in my dictionary?
Consuelo

#53929 01/29/02 11:50 AM
R
R
Well, I realise that I probably haven't the slightest right to add my comments to this as I have been noticeable only by my absence for some considerable length of time, but I'm hoping you'll bear with me. (Apologies to one and all - I've been watching/reading, it's just that life's been rather hectic and something had to give) However, the nature of the daily announcements that have been arriving in my inbox made me feel that I should break my silence - if only for the selfish reason of wanting to see the board survive.

One of the things that's always struck me about this board is a) how welcoming people are and b) how people are willing to wade in when things start to get out of control - which has happened in the past, been stopped and the board's moved on.

I'm stressing the 'board's moved on' bit, 'cause I think it's really important. If we just let the recriminations go on, then the person/persons involved win. We need to learn from what's passed and let the subject drop off the board before it can put anyone off from joining in the future.

Hopefully those involved have learned from and been chastened by the whole-hearted condemnation of their actions. If anything were done unintentionally then maybe they'll think before they hit 'post' next time. Those who were offended will hopefully have been heartened by the support they have received. It seems to me that continuing the debate can only keep re-opening the wound and leaves us open to further misunderstandings.

There comes a time in any friendship when things have been said. If that friendship is strong enough you talk about it and put it behind you. Agreed, sometimes you have to re-build the trust but if the friendship is strong enough, you do it.

So, time to move on?

#53930 01/29/02 12:08 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
yeahbut®

I don't agree with the "whole hearted condemnation" bit since (to repeat) none of us can actually fully know what is taking place by pm~s, by their nature - I refuse to criticise a dear friend simply because I am told to do so. One or more of the leavers may well have simply not understood this forum.

Since you appear to be a newcomer welcome, Dickens. Can I gently point out that Caradea and AsP’s suggestion may have to do with a genuine concern for the overall harmony and well-being of this virtual community, rather than any fear of heat? I don’t believe the tone of a remark like yours is calculated to benefit anyone here, but this may well have been unintentional on your part – and that is my point about all drawing back from slinging rocks.

But I agree with your final sentiment, rkay, and repeat: it’s time to cool it, folks.

#53931 01/29/02 12:15 PM
R
R
sorry maverick - the fingers got carried away on that one - point accepted.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith