Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
old hand
old hand
Minnesota does, and thank you for explaining their purpose! I've been operating under the assumption that the state of MN bought them from Texas, where they move the barriers twice a day to shift the carpool lane from Eastbound to Westbound (or something in that spirit - I'm not sure on the particulars). They've got what looks like an enormous Zamboni that drives along, pulling the barriers over. Works kind of like a zipper, this machine is the zipper head, and the holes and groove at the bottom are the track that the machine follows. I'm clearly not doing a goof job explaining it... I'll search for a link and edit it in if I find one.

Hell, at this point, I can barely remember what brought that to mind in the first place.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
not doing a goof job explaining it

Oh, I dunno. I think you did a pretty good goof job explaining it.

old hand
old hand
Indeed I did.

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Does anyone know the name for the zipper barriers? they are a sub-set of jersey barriers.. (and even W O'N acknowledges that Jersey highways are something akin to death row..) and of course they are not called jersey barriers in NJ-- In NJ- they are normal! and you think NY drivers are bad! sheese!

#53749 02/01/02 06:03 PM
old hand
old hand
Well, I was right in associating the image of a zipper. They *do* call the Zamboni-thingy a "zipper machine". Here's a URL to see said thingy in action:
http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Zipper_I95_JRB.html
It seems to want to call the medians themselves "temporary" or "moveable" barriers. Edit in: Ye gods, there's an acronym (of course) - the Quickchange Moveable Barrier.

I was half guessing that the search criteria "zipper barrier" might be a decent Google-whack. No such luck. 9,880 hits. If I look hard enough, some of them might reference unfortunate accidents involving the male anatomy...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and of course they are not called jersey barriers in NJ-- In NJ- they are normal! and you think NY drivers are bad! sheese!

Touché, of troy!!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Rally racing, Hev? Pffffft!Right, Jackie and Bel? Uh, yesssssssss...I've seen an example of what you mean...still say I'd'a kept up if you hadn't cheated! That was great fun!

#53752 02/02/02 06:41 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But my friend, you must learn when in Rome to drive as the Romans do! (And here's hoping that Kiwi never has to face the notorious drivers and roundabouts of Rome. Right, Emanuella?)

Rome? Been there, done that. At least in Rome drivers will give in to the inevitable and let you in if you force the issue, because everyone else does it. At Niagara, no one was prepared to give an inch. Most unusual because, by and large, USn drivers are courteous. Must have been something Canadian. Changing tack seemed better than trying to explain away a fault accident in another country to the rental car company. Chicago and LA were child's play by comparison.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#53753 02/02/02 11:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What cities of the world would rate as five worst to drive in? My list would probably read

1)Mexico City
2)Mexico City in an earthquake
3)Mexico City in a snow storm
4)Mexico City during the rainy season
5)Mexico City during the Olympics

Actually, I have never driven there. It is the only city (driving-wise) that has ever scared me spitless, and I don't scare that easy.

#53754 02/02/02 11:52 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Now Cap, if you had trouble in Niagara you should hesitate to drive in Québec, and definitely avoid Montréal alotogether.

The general gestalt is that people try to get away with as much as they can without getting caught. Speed limits are just a suggestions and pedestrians, well I won't get into that but lets just say there is a whole point system established on pedestrians

I joke but it is amazing how people from out of province have trouble driving here. They generally leave all gittery and nervous calling "them crazy Québec drivers!" over their shoulders...yet our accident rate is no higher than national average. I guess when you learn to drive in mayhem it becomes regular and normal.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 453 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith