Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I have often rued the demise of good radio comedy. The Goons, Fourth Form at St Michaels', The Navy Lark, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and their ilk don't appear to have spawned successors worthy of the name.

Listening to Radio Four (the Beeb-Beeb-Ceeb as, I think, Peter Sellers called it) in the car on my way home in the evenings generally rewards me with nothing more than an endless rehashing of the political crisis du jour. And generally the commentators are so strapped for new material and starved of real information that they begin interviewing each other, always a sign of aural decay and that final lurch into complete intellectual torpitude on the part of the media. They even sound excited about it, sometimes, which is even more of a worry.

The best the Radio Four has been able to come up with in recent months is The Archers and, lately, a rather clumsy dramatisation of "The Lord of the Rings". Can't accuse Radio Four of not recognising a bandwagon when it gets run over by one, can you? There are various attempts at humour, some of them quite good in patches. But they are generally current affairs satirical sketches or they simply take the mickey out of politicians. Anyone can do that, can't they?

So, imagine my delight when I chanced upon a series of half-hour comedies called "Absolute Power" written (and performed, in part) by Stephen Fry. Gobsmackingly good, they are. The premise is that Fry and a couple of others are running a media relations company which takes on near-impossible image control and spin-doctoring assignments, mostly for government and the rich and famous.

It's well-written and side-splittingly funny. It is topical to some extent ("The Prime Minister is visiting England next week, but he'll only be staying for a few days"), but it relies mostly on cleverly-crafted audio sight gags, like most good radio comedy, and succeeds (IHMO) very, very well.

Listen to them if you get the chance!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#53642 01/23/02 10:56 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Steven fry is the wittiest almost painfully intelligent man,
thanks for the tip i'll tune in, tonight was Sopranos night ......deep joy

the Duncster

the Duncster
#53644 01/25/02 07:06 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I agree, hence commiserations to Max

and in this series, now I think in its 3rd season, he is joined by the other Wittiest Man Alive and a superb script team, in a venture I too have found unerringly hilarious and wickedly true to life (if you have no qualms about laughing at politicians and other self-serving buffoons!)

#53646 01/25/02 10:16 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
where's the "copyright be damned" piracy of a true friend?

hey, maxie babe, who's been grassin' me up?

'sides, I seem to have semi-lost my cassette recorder this last 20 years and I don't think my hacking is up to ripping a CD...

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Psssstt ... wanna buy a used radio program, Mac?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith