About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Just a thought: beknight, bestow, bequeath, becalm...all indicate adding something. So why does behead imply taking something away? ( Unless, of course, it means adding something to the basket ).

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
bereft of any adequate explanation, I remain, dear Sir, your most humble and obedient servant,

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you could also be bereaved, or bereft.. as a result of something being taken away.. (a person or your poise.) and you final bequest would be something you are giving away.. (not just that i am getting!)

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The "be" prefix seems to me to indicate a change of state.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what changes state in because?

actually it does make sense-- it is almost as if the verb to be is added to the word..

butreft? reeve, i know, but reave? quest is from quote-- (last words)

and i guess then be head-- the body changes state-- from one with a head to one with out..

speaking of which...has anyone seen the great commercial for ??? with claymation figures..

He is sitting at a candle lit table, eating and all he is talking is business.. she listens politely for a while, and then.. walks over to him, stands behind him, rubs his shoulder, and then YanK! off comes his head, leaving behind a little ball joint (like a pop bead) she walk over to the closet -- meanwhile he is continuing to talk business, almost oblivious of his bodiless state...

in the closet, she plops his head on shelf,( and suddenly he realizes what has happened, and laspes into silence!) She takes another one off the shelf.. and walks back and pops it onto the body at hand..

Newly conscious, the head looks around, notes candles, dinner and pretty lady, and starts sweets talking..

boy, if life where only like that!

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
It seems, however, that in all the offered specimens, that there, at least, is an inherent ambiguity in the
be- prefix as in become, which connotes a change to be sure, but it can be either a loss or a gain. Bereft and bereave do, deed, indicate loss as in derpivation or saddened emotion, but with the same ambiguity, you could also say they are adding deprivation or grief to the condition of the party or parties involved. Behead/beheading is the only one, so far, that seems to indicate loss only. Unless the ambiguity creeps in, perhaps, with its coinage in the days of yore when rulers asked for and were presented the heads of those ordered executed...whereby, in presenting such, you are giving the victim's head to, or beheading, the ruler (this is purely conjecture). Now I guess I'll have to scour the be- section of the dictionary to see if I can come up with any more examples that seem to purely connote loss/subtraction.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you take the "be-" prefix and expand it back to "being" which is where I think it came from, it should all "become" clear. "Beheaded" becomes "Being headed", "Because" becomes "being caused (by)", yadda, yadda.

It's a verbal shorthand which has become part of the language. Or should I say "being come" part of the language?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
old hand
old hand
What about bespeak and befoul? Later edit: Oooh! Bemuse!

Behemoth? Noun though it be ooh! I made a funny!, does it have any place in this conversation?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Behemoth

Be he butterfly! That's what he be he!!!

-- Albert the Alligator in response to being bitten by the butterfly that had strapped on a set of false teeth and was going around biting people.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
behemoth Be he butterfly!

Be he chrysalis! Be he both chrysalis first! So be the chrysalis a beheboth?
Or is this all too befuddling?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith