About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5210 08/12/00 05:53 AM
M
OP Offline
M
What is the difference between "slow up" and "slow down"? This has been one of many interesting questions from a Japanese friend who is relatively new to English.

Also, what is that doubt that runs through my mind when posting to this group that my language construction is all fouled up?

michaelo

#5211 08/12/00 10:53 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In my alleged mind, michaelo, slow up kind of carries the implication that a halt may be impending, as in,
"Slow up, I think we're getting near that antique store I wanted to go into".
Slow down, to me, doesn't necessarily carry that. As in,
"Slow down, you're driving way too fast."

But these are not set in concrete, typical for English I suppose.

#5212 08/13/00 02:40 AM
D
stranger
stranger
D
Hi, Michaelo. I'm basically in agreement with Jackie. But, I'd like to reply to your other comment. I, too, hesitate and think twice about anything I want to put out on this board, figuring it's just not "intelligent enough" for the readership. But, I really love "all things word" as they say, so I'll just take my chances. And, I encourage you to do the same.

#5213 08/13/00 05:28 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
It might be a difference between UK and US English. I don't think I would ever say slow up, only slow down. I would agree with Jackie though, that slow down does imply not actually stopping.

Bingley

Bingley
#5214 08/13/00 11:24 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This is for all those who have not posted because they think that somehow their thoughts are not worthy.*

I will say that it is advisable to "think twice", and carefully review what you say (especially if you make as many mistakes as I do in using Markup).
I also very much understand the fear: one of my earliest posts said that, before I found this site, I fancied myself to be something of a wordsmith. But Anu's, and other people's, put my knowledge to shame.
BUT--I would ask each and every one of you, PLEASE don't let fear hold you back from posting! There are no
restrictions as to who has the right to post here. Your thoughts are as good as anyone else's. No one else has had the experiences you have had, and if you don't share them, how are we to learn about them?
I expect there are subscribers who primarily are looking for
factual information only. But I know for a fact that many of us enjoy the human interaction/exchange as much or more.
Believe me, there are people here who will positively
embrace new ideas/input!

*Doesn't matter if none of your words has 14 syllables--you still have things to share that none of us have learned.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith