Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
gather you rosebuds while you may

not sure if you're being facetious or not, tsuwm, but this makes sense.... "gather you" appears to be an anastrophic imperative, similar to a french construction like gather-you. i don't believe the intended meaning of the line was to tell us to hoard or gather the rosebuds that already belong to us, as would be the translation of "gather your rosebuds", but rather a suggestion that we go out and gather these metaphorical rosebuds from outside sources. hrm, i'm having trouble expressing my thoughts here, but it makes perfect sense to me

but anyhow... are you saying, tsuwm, that if "gather-you rosebuds while you may" is indeed correct, then the insertion of the apostrophes is* incorrect? sounds right to me.

*: [cross-threading] note in this case we use *is* rather than are, because the adjectival phrase "is incorrect" modifies "insertion", not apostrophe.[/cross-threading]

#51913 01/07/02 05:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here's the poem, courtesy of the Poetry Archives. And all the other book anthologies I have offer the same print. I have always seen "Gather ye rose-buds while ye may," but notice that Herrick uses both forms, ye and you, in the final stanza.

TO THE VIRGINS, TO MAKE MUCH OF TIME

by Robert Herrick (1591-1674)

Gather ye rose-buds while ye may:
Old Time is still a-flying;
And this same flower that smiles to-day,
To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the Sun,
The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best, which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times, still succeed the former.

--Then be not coy, but use your time,
And while ye may, go marry;
For having lost but once your prime,
You may for ever tarry.

AN EPITAPH UPON A VIRGIN

Here a solemn fast we keep,
While all beauty lies asleep;
Hush'd be all things, no noise here
But the toning of a tear;
Or a sigh of such as bring
Cowslips for her covering.

Robert Herrick

M
old hand
old hand
M

THE MOST AUDACIOUS EXULTATION IN THE IMPERATIVE EVER SPOKEN BY MORTAL MAN.

Zarathustra had meditated in the cave for forty day and forty nights with only his eagle, his serpent, and his rod for company. He grew weary of his new found wisdom. He needed outstretched hands to receive it. So on the fortieth day the walked to the entrance of the cave and spoke to the early morning Sun.
He said...
AWAKE! THOU GREAT STAR. WHAT WOULD THY GLORY BE IF THOU HAD NOT THOSE UPON WHOM THOU SHINIETH!

Nietzsche, Song of Zarathustra. IDNLIU.

Milum.

#51915 01/07/02 06:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The glorious lamp of heaven, the Sun,
The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run

All those thes in there, I withdraw my contention that ye was the.

#51916 01/07/02 07:36 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Gather ye mileage from UCLA
While money's still a-flowin'.
And business lunch reimbursement to-day;
To-morrow you'll be goin'.

.....-- Jim Harrick

#51917 01/07/02 07:57 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
It's like the carol, "God rest ye merry gentlemen" .. which, when correctly sung is "God rest ye merry (pause) gentlemen."

Obvious that ye is you - to me at least, how 'bout ye?
Or are ye of little faith in my deduction?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

gather you rosebuds while you may

not sure if you're being facetious or not, tsuwm...

not

#51919 01/07/02 08:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
God rest ye merry gentlemen

I'll go along with the pause between merry and gentlemen but I'm sticking with the on this one. Rest you merry? Does that mean something?

God rest the merry, gentlemen.

God grant rest to those who are merry.

#51920 01/07/02 10:01 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
God rest ye merry gentlemen, / Let nothing you dismay.
Suggesting that ye = you. Would be most odd if ye = the.

I'll go along with the pause between merry and gentlemen.
Nah. Put the pause before merry, not after. Thus, merry gentlemen is an appostive phrase for and following ye/you.

Edit: a google search for "God rest ye merry gentlemen" reveals that it appears usually with no comma at all; fairly often with a comma after merry (wow's reading); and once in a while with a comma before merry (my reading):
http://www.pdinfo.com/list/chrissng.htm[/.url], citing 1827
[url]www.geocities.com/stephen_crane_us/godrest.html
(story by Stephan Crane, 1899)
Occcasionally "you", but never "the", is substitituted for "ye".

http://ww.highlandpublishing.com/Highland_Records_%C4/Albums%20%C4/Highland_Records_204.html: Apparently the words were written first, their earliest appearance in the Roxburghe Collection III, about 1770. The original melody can be found in Christmas Carols Ancient and Modern, by William Sandys (London, 1833). The melody that we know, along with the current words, appear in Facetiae and Miscellanies, by William Hone, published in London in 1827. As James Fuld points out, the title can be interpreted to mean "God keep you, merry gentlemen" or "God keep you merry, gentlemen."

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
"gather you" appears to be an anastrophic imperative, similar to a french construction like gather-you. i don't believe the intended meaning of the line was to tell us to hoard or gather the rosebuds that already belong to us, as would be the translation of "gather your rosebuds", but rather a suggestion that we go out and gather these metaphorical rosebuds from outside sources. hrm, i'm having trouble expressing my thoughts here, but it makes perfect sense to me

and to me, cara. But I also think it’s even more elaborate than you allow, tsuwm. Herrick was using a deliberate pun in his use of ‘may’: both the transitive verb of permissive ‘may’, and the intransitive verb of ‘to may’, which meant gathering flowers and woodland garlands for the may ceremonies (which I think was, er, rooted in early pagan celebration of the conquest of winter – the English tradition includes the May Queen, the Maypole, and the Mayfair which gave its name to a region of London). There was probably also a mildly scabrous allusion to 'gathering the buds' of ‘may’ which was also a synonym for maid or the virgin of the addressees of its anastrophic form…. back to fertility rites!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 519 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith