Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Women already think we men only think with the "other " head!

You don't?
News to me!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I assign nationality by the way someone identifies themselves, not where they were born.
Yeah, yeah--I was jus' tryin' to poke his borax a little bit...(dang, a person cain't even have a little fun around here...)

G
old hand
old hand
G
Women already think we men only think with the "other " head!

You don't?
News to me!

Glad to have been of service to you, Ann! (Upper head)

Glad to have serviced you, Ann! (Other head)

There, see, we DO know the difference!

Your humble servant, Geoff

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Men think???

#51505 03/17/02 10:37 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Angel,

I was going to write:

All I can say is ouch, a-yoy and TABARNAC but it is *really* a bad swearword here. My Mom's threat of "I'll wash your mouth out with soap" uttered to me when I was a child is *still reverberating through my synapses.

#51506 03/17/02 11:03 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

old hand
old hand
"The" pic was taken in 1985 at the Nambung National Park, several hours north of Perth, WA. The prominent features present are known collectively as "The Pinnacles".

Over time there's been various explanations put forward for how they formed, with the common thread being that they reflect a change in soil conditions around ancient, long gone, tree root systems.

One reasonable sounding hypothesis and some pix are given at http://aussie.trafalgargroup.net/pinnacle.html:

The raw material for the limestone of the pinnacles came from sea shells in an earlier epoch rich in marine life. These shells were broken down into lime-rich sands which were brought ashore by waves and then carried inland by the wind to form high, mobile dunes. Three old systems of sand dunes run parallel to the WA coast, marking ancient shorelines.

The oldest of these, known as the Spearwood dune system, is characterised by yellow or brownish sands. In winter, rain, which is slightly acidic, dissolves small amounts of calcium carbonate as it percolates down through the sand. As the dune dries out during summer, this is precipitated as a cement around grains of sand in the lower levels of the dunes, binding them together and eventually producing a hard limestone rock, known as Tamala Limestone.

At the same time, vegetation that became established on the surface, aided this process. Plant roots stabilised the surface, and encouraged a more acidic layer of soil and humus (containing decayed plant and animal matter) to develop over the remaining quartz sand.

The acidic soil accelerated the leaching process, and a hard layer of calcrete formed over the softer limestone below. Cracks which formed in the calcrete layer were exploited by plant roots. When water seeped down along these channels, the softer limestone beneath was slowly leached away and the channels gradually filled with quartz sand. This subsurface erosion continued until only the most resilient columns remained. The Pinnacles, then, are the eroded remnants of the formerly thick bed of limestone.

As bush fires denuded the higher areas, south-westerly winds carried away the loose quartz sands and left these limestone pillars standing up to three and a half metres high.

Although the formation of the Pinnacles would have taken many thousands of years, they were probably only exposed in quite recent times. Aboriginal artefacts at least 6,000 years old have been found in the Pinnacles Desert despite no recent evidence of Aboriginal occupation. This tends to suggest that the Pinnacles were exposed about 6,000 years ago and then covered up by shifting sands, before being exposed again in the last few hundred years. This process can be seen in action today - with the predominantly southerly winds uncovering pinnacles in the northern part of the Pinnacles Desert but covering those in the south. Over time, the limestone spires will no doubt be covered again by other sand drifts and the cycle repeated, creating weird and wonderful shapes over and over again.

For the record, whilst I do think the pic is funny, (we were a lot more frisky in those days!!) I no longer condone such mistreatment of these features and apologise to whoever, wherever for our actions that day. My only excuse is that we were no more disrespectful than many/most others. One was allowed to walk - or even drive!- anywhere throughout the Pinnacles back then. Now it's very much a case of low impact ecotourism.

stales

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow--thanks, stales! That's really cool! In the caves in this part of the country, you can really see evidence of the cracks in the calcrete layer: skinny little roots are often seen dangling from the ceiling--creepy. And thanks for the word calcrete--if I learned it all those yrs. ago in my geology classes, I'd forgotten it. Calcrete = calcium + concrete?

enthusiast
enthusiast
From stales' link: One of the years, Sports Illustrated shot some of their swimsuit issue here.

Hmmm... wonder how they posed the swimsuit models?

G
old hand
old hand
G
we don't, we aren't, and if we aren't,...

But, Max, you're using Cartesian logic, which is dualistic, so you've inadvertently brought us back to having two heads!

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith