A
addict
addict
A
He answered, "The herd."

I've heard that before!

old hand
old hand
I wish I understood more about parts of speech but I don't so I need help here.....

Surely there's a difference in syntax or something between the collective noun "herd" and the word "cattle". To my uneducated mind, it seems that one could say "a herd of cattle" or "a herd of cows" and be correct both times?????

stales

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
He answered, "The herd."
I've heard that before!
You've heard of cattle? But why a duck?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A "herd of cattle" is perfectly acceptable where I come from. Unless there was some doubt about what kind of animal it was, however, you would usually just refer to the "herd". A "herd of cows" is also acceptable if that is, indeed, what they are.

And I dunno what kind of Herefords Bill made the acquaintance of, but a Hereford bull is just as likely to have a go at you as any other I've encountered although Jersey bulls are reputed to be downright deadly.

Here's a funny story, quite true: Years ago I was tramping (read "hiking" you blithering heathens in the US) up the Matukituki Valley near Wanaka. The first part of the tramp is over the top paddocks of Mt Aspiring Station. Stu Aspinall used to keep his Hereford heifers up there during the summer because they're relatively docile creatures and that cuts down on the complaints from frightened townies out for a wander in the mountains.

But they are curious and will follow you to see what you're up to.

We were meandering up the valley in no particular hurry, accompanied by a few heifers who were just along for the walk. They'll follow damned near anything that's moving; they're not renowned for their intelligence. Two heavily-laden girls caught up with us and overtook us. The heifers, obligingly, decided that they liked the girls' pace better than ours, and took off with them.

But the girls were nervous of the cattle despite our assurances that they weren't vicious and began to walk faster. So did the heifers. The last we saw of them, the girls were pretty much jogging along as fast as they could, packs bouncing up and down on their backs and everything loose rattling, with the heifers obligingly keeping pace. They'd have been pretty exhausted by the time they reached the Bluff about five miles further on, which was as far as the cattle could go without fording the river.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
A
addict
addict
A
But why a duck?

Ummmmmm....HUH? Is this an old joke or something?

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Is this an old joke or something?
"Yes, an ancient canard," he reMarx.

A
addict
addict
A
"Yes, an ancient canard," he reMarx.

[GAGgle-e] UGHHHHHHHHHH! "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever herd!"

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Keiva,

Very serious here. Is that why Groucho had the duck? Because of canards?

Best regards,
DaffyDub

#51041 01/11/02 12:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In the US we have hog-callin' contests at state fairs, etc. Where did the common call "Sou-eeee piggy piggy pig" come from?

#51042 01/11/02 12:48 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear AnnaS--

Wonder whether it has anything to do with the sow???

WW

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 763 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith