Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
#51013 01/03/02 03:20 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
As I say, Dr Bill, the "Wild Boar" of which I speak is rather tamer than myself, and sits around in a field all day, waiting for the farmer to bring the pail down. Hence it is just about as tender as any other pork - although it does have a strnger flavour.

As to wild meat, well, it does depend what sort of "work" it has to do, I guess. Personally, I am a great admirer of the flesh of rabbits (again, apols to veggie ayleurs) which I used to catch in large numbers at one time. That is very rarely tough and makes a very nourishing meal. Hare is even better, when you can get it.

Now, there is a set of strange names for you - to do with rabbits and hares. Baby hares are "leverets", and they don't burrow, but live in "forms." Baby rabbits are "kits" (or "kittens" in some parts of UK)

#51014 01/03/02 04:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Faldage queries:
In reply to:

You have uncovered a reference that claims hog implies that a ball disconnectomy has been performed?

i stumbled upon this, from the 1913 Webster's, while looking for substantiation of the hog/coin theory:

Hog (Page: 697)

Hog (?), n. [Prob. akin to E. hack to cut, and meaning orig., a castrated boar; cf. also W. hwch swine, sow, Armor. houc'h, hoc'h. Cf. Haggis, Hogget, and Hoggerel.]

1. (Zoöl.) A quadruped of the genus Sus, and allied genera of Suidæ; esp., the domesticated varieties of S. scrofa, kept for their fat and meat, called, respectively, lard and pork; swine; porker; specifically, a castrated boar; a barrow...

This early reference also provides some interesting alternative definitions, including an unshorn sheep, a rough, flat scrubbing broom for scrubbing a ship's bottom under water, and a paper-making device of some sort.

{YCLIUhttp://machaut.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/WEBSTER.sh?WORD=hog)

#51015 01/03/02 05:58 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
TANGENT ALERT

What about 'Boss Hog'? He was a character on some show my dad used to watch. What is a 'boss hog' in Pigland? Is there some kind of dominant hog that bosses the others around? And how is this behavior demonstrated? Or is this just piggy poetic with the "o" in boss and hog providing the large measure of oral/aural satisfaction, such as it is?

Back to my dad. He always calls one of his many hummingbirds he feeds here at the farm each summer, "Boss Hog." There is always one very dominant bird that defends at least two feeders at a time so that no hummingbird dare try to stay long enough for even a modest dip.

Best regards,
WW

#51016 01/03/02 08:10 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: I think your "Boss Hogg" came from TV series featuring an ludicrously corrupt comic sheriff, who was always foiled by a couple young stalwarts driving super-charged unglazed vehicles with all doors welded shut.

It is fun to watch the aerial mock combat of male hummingbirds. That was my principal motive in putting out feeders.

I found title of TV series "The Dukes of Hazzard".

#51017 01/03/02 08:31 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
It is fun to watch the aerial mock combat of male hummingbirds.
"Mock" combat, dr. bill? Nothing mock about it. Hummingbirds are cutthroats.* see Smithsonian Magazine,
http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues00/sep00/hummingbirds.html:

[Title] So Tiny, So Sweet...So MEAN
[subtitle] If hummingbirds were as big as ravens, it probably wouldn't be safe to go for a walk in the woods
Their size makes them cute — and also dictates their fretful, bickering, high-rev way of life. ... this fearless opportunist is a slave to its raging metabolism.

It's the equivalent of a 180-pound human having to scrounge up 204,300 calories a day, or about 171 pounds of hamburger. ... It's enough to give even a very pretty little bird the personality of a junkyard dog. A scientific paper about the rufous hummingbird includes this endearing notation: "SOCIAL BEHAVIOR: None. Individual survival seems only concern."

-----------------
*ROFL! The good doctor dislikes boars, border collies, and hippos, but loves hummingbirds!

#51018 01/05/02 07:17 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Weeeell, I had two uncles who were both pig farmers and I spent far too much time mucking out the barrows when I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Barrow is what pighouses are called in Zild. Mature males were boars. Mature females were gilts until they'd had a couple of litters and were then known as sows. Pigs between about six weeks and a year are the ones usually carted off to bring home the bacon, and they are known as weaners.

Although I must admit that weaner seemed to be a malleable term. It's also used to describe both young boars and sows between a year and two years which aren't going to be bred, at least at my rellies' farms.

[pig story - ignore if you wish!]

One of my uncles had a sow called Maud. She was a champion farrower, tending to have between eight and ten piglets at a time, and was also a good mother. This is not entirely commmon in the farmed pig world, where mum quite often lies down and reduces the household food bill by crushing a number of her offspring to death. Most pig farmers remove the young except for feeding time if they are kept in pens. The problem doesn't tend to be so bad if the pigs have the run of a paddock.

Maud was huge. I don't know what she weighed, but she was bigger than any of the breeding boars on the farm. She was bad-tempered with them, even when she was in heat, and they approached her with great caution when they were trying to do their bit for the propagation of the species. I fondly remember my younger cousin coming rushing in from outside one day yelling "Mum, mum, the boar's trying to murder Maud!". We all piled out to see what was happening, given the improbability of any boar on that farm wanting to fight big mamma. It turned out to be the piggy equivalent of the birds and the bees, with Maud in fine form, trying to bite her swain in half while he was furiously trying to do his duty. We all fell about laughing. We called her the Black Widow for a while, but she was really still just Maud.

Maud was like a pet dog and would follow my uncle around the farm. Being not very big himself, my uncle looked rather incongruous being followed around by this very, very large pig who would nuzzle his backside whenever he stopped, grunting contentedly. She loved being scratched between the ears and on the snout. If you tried to leave her in the paddock with a gate safely between you, she would simply trample part of the fence down to get to where ever she wanted to be. This included my aunt's garden, unfortunately. Maud developed a distinct liking for the flowers of roses, and would walk down the driveway nipping off the blooms and munching them with great relish. Needless to say, my aunt was not a happy camper when it came to Maud.

It all came to a head one night when my aunt and uncle were sitting watching TV. They heard a crash from the front of the house and the sound of breaking glass. Burglary was not unknown in the Fairfield area, so my uncle grabbed something heavy and went to investigate, only to find that Maud had simply lain down on the porch (as was her wont). But this time she'd managed to wedge part of her anatomy against the front door which gave up the ghost under her weighty, if tender, mercies ...

Maud wound up in a specially reinforced pen for the rest of her career. She screamed day and night for a couple of weeks, apparently, until she got used to the new arrangements. Can you imagine the noise?

The term "hog" is simply not used in Zild except in relation to slightly reorganised Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#51019 01/05/02 07:34 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
He ain't the only one. Wild boar is highly esteemed by many here, inlcuding those of us who would rather let someone else risk their life by trying to end a wild boar's.

Which I did a couple of times years ago when dragged into the bush by friends. I found I didn't get much of a kick out of pig hunting. Too much hard slog through wet bush and bracken to find the damned things. Then, when you'd managed to kill one, you had to cart the beggar back to the road.

I tend think of pighunting in much the same terms as Oscar Wilde regarded foxhunting: "The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible".

But I'm very partial to wild pig, particularly if it's cooked in a hangi ... [drooling -e]

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#51020 01/05/02 04:07 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Keiva:

That's great stuff you posted there!!!! And what's this rufous? He's not the one who appears in all those jokes, is he?

That hummingbird, fer sure, is a humdinger of in-SPIRE-ation!!!

Bird regards,
WordWarbler

#51021 01/05/02 06:30 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Pigs between about six weeks and a year are known as weaners...[It] seemed to be a malleable term. It's also used to describe both young boars and sows...

...as well as the meat product sometimes derived from them, cooked over the campfire and served on a bun with mustard and relish? sorry, just couldn't resist that one [cover-head-and-scuttle-hastily-for-cover-ducking-brickbats-and-old-shoes e]

#51022 01/05/02 06:46 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
[Aside to non-US readers: what USns call a hot dog or frankfurter is attributed by many to an origin not in Germany (Frankfurt) but rather Austria (Vienna, hence "wiener"). Sometimes the same person will use both names indiscriminately, not recognizing the inherent inconsistency. (Or perhaps there's a delicate distinction that the gourmand in me doesn't know about.) ]

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 501 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith