About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#49087 12/01/01 08:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Actually®, onliest thang I ever made out of pipestone was a neckerchief slide.

Oh, come on! Gas as well, surely? Well, hot air anyway!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#49088 12/01/01 11:10 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
pipestone

The eastern Ohio Boy Scout council has an esteemed summer camp award named Pipestone. During the week one has to complete certain ecology, swimming, service and leadership requirements. At the end of the week if one meets the requirements there is a guardedly secret award ceremony in which one receives a stone made of pipestone. There are five years of the program and each year one returns the previous stone and gets a new one with an additional specific carving on it. The five images are a man (native american) holding a stave above his head, a fire, a teepee, a flower and an arrowhead.

Apparently the only pipestone quarry in the country is in Minnesota or Wisconin, can't remember which.

#49089 12/02/01 12:04 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Jazz, there's a lot about pipestone mining in both Minnesota and Wisconsin on Google. I tried searching "Virginia pipestone," but only saw one link that was dubious in nature. Also, I tried "Michigan pipestone," but there was just a family history story too long to download and a Pipestone Shopping Center or Mall...

Dub

#49090 12/02/01 01:21 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

Pipestone artifacts have been recovered from numerous sites throughout the upper Midwest and eastern Plains. Geologic sources and glacial deposits of this argillite have distributions almost equally broad. Artifacts from a historic component and several prehistoric sites in the upper Mississippi River valley have been analyzed through X-ray powder diffractometry and compared to pipestones from geological sources. Similarity in mineral composition indicates that nearly all the artifacts are catlinite from southwestern Minnesota. None are manufactured from the more readily available Wisconsin pipestones. Catlinites
are not present on sites that predate AD 1260, indicating that trade or transport of this exotic pipestone in to the Upper Mississippi Valley began late in the thirteenth century. Frequency comparison of pipestones from various sites indicates an increased use of this exotic material AD 1550 to 1650 and a dramatic rise during the historic period.

#49091 12/02/01 04:15 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Coprolite Must be, 'cuz kids keep saying "That old fossil's got s**t for brains."

M
old hand
old hand
M
Pipestone

I am the proud owner of the world's largest collection of pipestone. I am likely the world's only collector of pipestone. No not the stuff that you can make smoking pipes out of, I mean real pipes. Picture a 5" diameter iron pipe, about three feet long. (my best piece) These naturally occurring pipes are only found near West Blocton, Alabama in quaternary alluvial deposits of sandy clay. No one I know knows how they were formed. The best guess is that they are the casts of tree roots. (unlikely). If any of you all have any ideas or know of any other examples, please let me know.

Jackie, Dumb, dumb, dumb. Me, the pipestone king; Can I change my image stone from a helictite to a pipestone?
Thank you,
Milum.

#49093 12/03/01 03:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ted, I am enthralled with your rampant pundemonium! Loved it! But I must confess to a moment of groan...the pyrites of Penn's aunts (ouch!)

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
My Dearest milum,

You may change your image to anything you like.
Your pipestone sounds fascinating! Have geologists looked at it? My first guess would be that it is fossilized bone. My next guess is that it is sedimentary rock that was formed around something--like a bone--that held up at the time, but later disintegrated; possibly a fossilized, or partially-fossilized, bone. Just within the limits of believability: the layer of rock was not quite hardened, yet sufficiently firm to hold its shape, when some animal/worm/snake tunneled through it.
If you know of any geologists who have studied this--maybe from a local university?--I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know. I'd like to see if they've published anything on it.

#49095 12/04/01 09:23 AM
old hand
old hand

#49096 12/04/01 03:56 PM
old hand
old hand
Dear Ted

BRILLIANT and very funny post. Sat here going, "Lahar, Lahar" out loud with mirth.

I love the lustre of your writing and your strengite adherance to this theme. It's a pleasure to know you are such a zeolite, such aphanitic, about the use of words. I wish I could bismuth as you!

Interesting to hear about the pyrites of Penn's aunts - I haven't met them yet, so you could say arsenopyrites. Wasn't one of their relations zircon, the greek tycoon from Heliodor? Weren't zirconias giving him problems? Funny how he's gone antimony in his old age - how can he turn his back on all that prosperite?

Opel!! Morganite!! Boy, you need your head read. Now, a Holden - that's a realgar!

I heard that Malcolm was cummingtonite to your place. Are you intending to make malachite dunnite? I remember the last time he came over - that was an amazonite. And what about his belovite sisters Celestine and Ann? Celestine is very much "legrandite dame" don't you think? And everybody says Anatase - a real temptress with quite an apatite for .... You'd be agate at the rumours about her but I reckon they're all false. Arsenic up on her the other night but couldn't copper doing anything - she saw me and was gone in a moh. By the way, don't bother with her homepage either - that's a banalsite if ever I saw one. Diopside of it all is at least her boyfriend (Epi)dotes on her and, if she does have a secret, he won't descloizite. Don't know why he left his last girlfriend, Lena. She's quite some galena.

Don't forget to check your sulfur flowers tomorrow - they should be buddingtonite.

I'll be back in touch soon,

Regards

stales

PS I resent the accusations that I damaged your book - you know I wouldn't harmotome.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith