About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#48819 11/28/01 03:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
does not show all fifty states on it. There were only 48 states at the time of the building of the monument. In fact, anyone with both a magnifying glass and a $5 US note can see there are only 26 state names on the reverse of the note:

This is taken from the Bureau of Engraving and Printing website:

Vignette on the Reverse of the $5 Note

The vignette on the reverse of the five-dollar note depicts a likeness of the front of the Lincoln Memorial as it appeared in 1922 when it was first dedicated. At that time, there were only 48 states that made up the United States of America. The names of 26 states were engraved on the front of the Memorial. This is why only the names of 26 states appear in the vignette on the reverse of the five-dollar note. In the upper frieze of the façade in the vignette the states are from left to right: Arkansas, Michigan, Florida, Texas, Iowa, Wisconsin, California, Minnesota, Oregon, Kansas, West Virginia, Nevada, Nebraska, Colorado, and North Dakota. In the lower frieze from left to right the names of the states are: Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, Carolina, New Hampshire, Virginia and New York.

---------------

I am fairly certain that they are listed in the order of admission to the Union, starting with Delaware on the lower frieze and ending with hmmm either NM or AZ. Both admitted in 1912, if memory serves me, but can't remembre which was last.

TEd
#48820 11/28/01 03:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
http://ns.kreative.net/cooper/TourOfDC/monuments/lincoln-memorial/

According tothis site, the Memorial does NOT contain the names of all fifty states. Ater Hawaii and Alaska were admitted during Eisenhower's administration there was a memorial plaque added on the grounds, but apparently not on the monument itself.

TEd
#48821 11/28/01 05:42 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
I got the impression that the upper level was added later because it looks a little different, not quite the same style, but I'm not sure of that.

I do know, though that the Memorial also shows the dates (maybe just years) that the states were admitted. When I was there I noticed that Ohio was listed as becoming a state in 1802. Well, the Ohio Bicentennial will be occuring in 2003.

#48822 11/28/01 11:04 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ted,

You're correct about the names of the states having been listed in order if the rest of the memorial retains the order from the front. DE was the first, and so through that sequence; continued where we cannot read the names of the states would begin with NC, RI, VT.....through MO, then back again to what we can read from Arkansas through North Dakota; the out of sight again from South Dakota through Arizona.

Thanks for the information. I'll notice the names with added interest the next time I'm up in DC.

Best regards,
WW

PS: Oh, and it would be South Carolina on the front.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 621 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith