About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
beware car-buff post

My dear Jackie, I'm shocked! I had no idea you drive naked!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Whoa, thanks, Max. Sorry I have such a poor memory.

And, Sweet WO'N--there's a LOT about me that you don't know!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've got a Peugeot 406 GLX 2 litre saloon which is currently doing about 180 miles a day. It may be built in Coventry, but it has built-in quality, something signally lacking in the slew of Rovers and Vauxhalls littering Britain's roads. In some cases literally. End of car stuff ...

A new work place word for you all. It is (hold your breath) dewank. It arose at an analysts' meeting held yesterday at my newish place of employment to consider a job description. Such meetings make me feel ancient, because I think I could give 10 years to the next oldest member of the team.

One analyst (a bloke) described it as "wanky". Another analyst (a woman [of the female persuasion]) offered to "dewank" it. An email was duly circulated late this afternoon with the subject title DEWANKED JD. The attached JD document was similarly entitled "Dewanked JD". Comments were emailed among nearly 40 analysts talking about this or that item requiring more or less dewanking.

The lady in question duly entered the task in her timesheet as "dewankification".

Rarely, in my experience, has a word taken on such a clearly new meaning and gone into general use at such a pace. The entire firm now knows about it because someone put it up on the intranet under "Education"!

As a further aside, it's interesting that the email Nazi didn't clamp down on it. It does on damned near everything else.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quite p;robably because it's a Wank(el) engine?

TEd, who just joined the rotary

TEd
#48704 12/07/01 10:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I know what a wanker is, but.

Dewanking is either painful or a repair job, or possibly both, however, it isn't very *clear at this juncture.

#48705 12/08/01 06:10 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

old hand
old hand
Working for a computer manufacturing company with ISP and satellite communication divisions, we run across MANY instances where our customers' "problems" are of their own making, reflecting their lack of skill with the technology.

I heard a term somewhere in my travels and have introduced it here. It's a little easier to use and much less inflammatory than "user error" whilst within earshot of the customer...

CBLFE - Carbon Based Life Form Error

stales

#48707 12/10/01 02:21 PM
old hand
old hand
CBLFE... I like it! The others I've heard that stuck with me were the "I-D-ten-T error" ID10T..., and the "chair/keyboard interface malfunction".

So rude, and yet so true.

old hand
old hand
Rhuby et al

I am simply bursting to show you (and whomever else may be interested) a pic of my classic. Please email me (see profile) and I'll send a pic.

She's a 1964 Holden "EH" model - generally acknowledged as the most popular car ever built in Australia - then and now. (Ford drivers would dispute this but, being Ford drivers, they aren't capable or qualified to have an opinion.)

Modelled upon the Chevvies of that time the EH was the first to offer GM's whopping big (tongue in cheek emoticon) 149ci 6 cylinder motor!!! This block served as the basis for all subsequent holdens until the mid seventies - though its standard displacement grew to 202ci.

I drive it daily and you'd be amazed at the amount of people that stop me to reminisce about the one they had - or their Dad had (or they had their first sexual encounter in the back seat!!). I have to allow an extra ten minutes when I go to the shops because there's always somebody that wants to look under the hood or have a chat. Funny thing you know, I used to drive a V6 SAAB that cost around US$26,000 and nobody gave a rat's arse. The Old Girl on the other hand is worth around US$5,000 and everybody wants to be my friend!!

stales

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 471 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith