Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Are you guys okay? I know that Helen lives in Queens. Is your family okay?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,592253,00.html

Gives latest reports on this incident, including a map which shows that the crash is, so far as I can judge, some way from where Helen lives. I certainly hope so.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Sent note to Helen (of Troy) to her home Email as she may be home for the Veterans Day Holiday. Just in case I'll also send email to her work.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sorry-- i am home today, and posting from my slow as molasses home connection, so i came to this topic late.

Yes, JFK is far a way-- Queens is over 100 square miles-- small for a county but big enough. it is upsetting news, but it has seemed to me, that JFK was long over due for a landing/take off crash. the local population, bought houses and land there because it was cheap and noisy. and once in the area, made a big stink about the noise! so the flight patterns call for steep banks, even as the plane is gaining altitude.. and the opposite, with landing.. the landing/run way lights run out onto a local highway(Belt Parkway) and the road lights are lower, and there are no over head sign.. FAA is afraid they might interfer with planes.. (which is pretty scary when you think about it-- an over head road sign is high enough to interfere with landing gear.. that road is way to close to air port/runway.) but i take the road at least once a month, when i have to work in office in NJ.
Every knows, that JFK one of those airports you avoid if you can, since it is more dangerous than average--

LAG, on the other hand, is much safe, more popular, and has the worst on time performance of any airport in US-- and i bet it make the top 10 in the world. Oh the joys of NY!

JFK is on south shore-- i live on north shoreone of the less fancy areas on the north shore, and inside NYC limits, but far away from JFK --(actually the local highways are pretty good--20 minutes on average.) and Dave (inselpeter) lives and works in Manhattan.

old hand
old hand
Helen & Dave - Good to hear you guys are safe. Knowing you're there gives all us non-NY'ers a feeling that we're a little closer to the action which, I think it's fair to say, is a feeling none of us like to have.

stales

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Helen, David
I know my first thoughts were of you. Glad to hear you are safe.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Good to hear you and yours are safe, Helen. Has anyone heard from inselpeter recently? It seems a long time since he posted.

Bingley

Bingley
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Whew! Glad to hear you are Ok.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I got a message from my lovely insel in the early hours of the 13th, and he did not mention any problems from the crash.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 628 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith