About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#47368 12/07/01 01:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hopped-up / juiced-up / souped-up: In the late 40's and early 50's these were popular terms for modifying an internal combustion engine to add horsepower. "Hop-Up" was actually® a 'gear head' magazine that mergered with/into "Motor Life".

Let me know if you'd like an original copy...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...... beer in ancient Egypt." Did they make in out of papyrus?

No, out of the noble grain barley.
barley is generally considered an inferior grain to wheat, but it will tolerate colder, damper, and saltier soils than wheat, so it is the crop of choice for poor lands.

barley's was considered inferior, because it is not as nutritious, it lacks gluten,(a protein found in wheat) so bread does not form up as the same. still there are some of us who like barley cakes..

but barley is superior for making beer or alcohol. any grain can be malted, but barley malt has the highest sugar content, (and potential the highest alcohol).

and while i haven't yet become a lush, i can't say drinking is something i am unfamiliar with... but i don't much like beer, so i'll leave to the beer drinkers to discuss the merits of the various grains used to make beer.

#47370 12/07/01 09:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It may be rice beer to you, but it's saki to me. I suspect zythum wasn't made from rice though.

TEd
#47371 12/07/01 10:08 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I was facetious about papyrus, but here's a link that supports of Troy in the barley guess:

http://www.hmc.org.qa/hmc/heartviews/issue9/ALCOHOL.htm

On this web page there's a mention of cabbage juice as having been a cure for a hangover. Cabbages in Eygypt? Liver and learn.

Beer regards (I hate the stuff),
WW

#47372 12/08/01 09:02 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The server is bogged down in Zythumium.

Here's a consequence of too much too many times from a word-contsuwmed being's lexicon:

ebriection
mental breakdown from too much boozing

Back to my research paper--wish the server weren't slow as a hippo trying to do a standing broad jump today.

WW

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Iwas doing some reading about the Tarahumara (Rarămuri) Indians of the Mexican Sierra Madre and ran across this explanation for intoxication. It works for me!

When a person drinks the alcohol, in this case the corn beer,(it) goes to their stomach which is the area where the largest souls in the body live. And the souls don't like the smell of the beer so they leave. And that means that the only souls that are left inside the body, taking care of the body but also, um, controlling the body, are the smaller souls which are like small children. And so people say that is why when people drink they act like small children. -William Merrill, Smithsonian Institution

I am assuming that this was part of an interview. I did a small amount of editing for clarity. Here is the link if anyone would like to read more.
http://www.powernet.net/~jackkelly/tarahumra/raramuri.html

#47374 01/12/02 05:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just one more quote from the site.

: Most importantly, the Tarahumara believe tesgüino is a divine gift. It must be consumed in order to praise God, to compensate for the moral shortcomings of others, and to ensure existence itself.

It was also stated that God gave the Rarămuri beer as a consolation prize because God lost a bet with the devil and that is why the white men are rich and the Rarămuri are poor.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith