Print Thread
#47205 11/08/01 03:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The image of Faldage as a callow yoot in another thread prompted me to ask about something that's been bugging me.

My local grocer has emblazoned their bags with anti-violence statistics, including this:

80% of violent crimes are committed by youth ages 14-24 years old.

First, that word "youth" throws me for a loop; it looks like it should be "youths", but somehow that doesn't sound right either as Fred Gwynne would surely tell you

Second, isn't "ages 14-24 years old" redundant?

This is a huge national chain, so i can't imagine they'd have two glaring errors... am i wrong?

#47206 11/08/01 03:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>youth ages 14-24 years old

perhaps they mean for youth to modify ages, but then it should read 'youthful ages' or youngsters.
maybe they're trying to save paper, or ink. this should read: youths aged 14-24 yrs (or the like)

#47207 11/12/01 01:19 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
This is a huge national chain, so i can't imagine they'd have two glaring errors...

I think this goes to show that being big and national is no guarantee of anything (except, perhaps that they will do all in their power to maximise profits and market share.)

Also, the statistics are without great value, as they stand. One feels that in order to reach the magic figure of 80% they have taken the top and bottom ages around that grouping. There is no reason to take an age group between 14 and 24, is there? a grouping of 14 - 18 years might have more relevance (but not necessarily!!) and I could appreciate a rationale that looks at the whole population from birth to death in five-year groups, but what virtue is there in such a wide age range? The differences in knowledge and experience in that eleven years is unfathomable, I would have thought.

But then, I am a mere historian - can some of our sociological colleagues comment?

#47208 11/17/01 04:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...will do all in their power to maximise profits and market share.) Given that they would have even recognized the *mistake, they weren't about to toss away a gajillion newly printed bags... it'd be easier to *layoff the 'copy editor' (or change their name).

...The differences in knowledge and experience in that eleven years is unfathomable... Of this there is no doubt, especially as the judicial system *hacks them into two categories; pre and post 18th birthday. A classic example of number crunching in its worst setting... and to top it all off, all they could get was 80% out of *it. I'm quite sure violent crimes are a very high percentage of all crimes prosecuted, which brings further questions to the *actual source and meaning of these statistics.

I say the words "big and national" guarantee that words about violence purport to be doing something about it in the same *way that numbers are actually® understanding it.

#47209 11/17/01 05:22 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
This is a huge national chain, so i can't imagine they'd have two glaring errors... am i wrong?

Ever hear of a store chain called RITE AID? Do they sell paraphanalia related to rituals? Nooooo! And they PAID some clown to come up with that name!

#47210 11/17/01 05:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ever hear of a store chain called RITE AID? Do they sell paraphanalia related to rituals? Nooooo! And they PAID some clown to come up with that name!

well, they undoubtedly paid some trademark attorney to come up with that name, as WRITE/RIGHT AID couldn't be trademarked. otoh, the original store was named Thrif D Discount.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith