Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#46436 11/02/01 08:02 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Faldage: You're safe. You are built wrong, you're too far away, and I'm too old.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't believe believe that we have. Are you an English teacher? I don't think I want to talk about this right now.
Do you like to chat?

J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Funny, all the threads are starting to sound like "talk to Alice" - she's been having a very bad influence. Glad to see that this thread is maintaining its delinquency.

Now, why bother with American football when they could have all played rugby, nice oval ball, men with good strong thighs and none of that unnecessary padding. I think I asked a long time ago why America persists in playing games that no-one else seems to play (who plays baseball anyway?), is it so that they always have the winning team? At least with cricket you can tour (or not) India. With soccer there is a World Cup (yes, I know that the USA qualified). With rugby you can play nice foreign countries like Australia, South Africa and New Zealand (do Canada play?) - don't you guys ever feel left out of all the fun????

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>who plays baseball anyway?

most of the known universe, excepting the EU and Africa, it seems. the US teams almost never win the Little League world series anymore, usually losing out to teams from the Far East or Latin America. the Seattle major league team has two marvelous Japanese players, one of whom was the best player of the year according to many. the current 'goat' in the World Serious is a Korean relief pitcher (closer) who can't get the last out (close).

J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
>who plays baseball anyway?
> most of the known universe, excepting the EU and Africa, it seems.

Only joking, honest. Interesting, for all our immersion in all things American (McDonalds, Burger King, TGI Fridays, Friends, The Simpsons, ER, Hollywood, GAP, US Politics ....) we really don't get much US sport on terrestrial TV (which, despite burgeoning satellite channels, tends to be the sport discussed in the pub). I wonder why, given the huge success of other exports.

Maybe there are not enough slots to cover the main sporting events of Europe (endless football, rugby, horse racing, Grand Prix formula one racing, tennis, athletics, golf, boxing, show jumping, I've probably missed a few). Outside major events like the Olympics, the main overlaps are tennis, boxing and golf, I think. Mohammed Ali, Billie Jean King and Tiger Woods are as big here as I assume they are/were in the states.

I suppose that it is relatively difficult and expensive to transport horses routinely for horse races (I know that they have to do it for the Olympics) but I don't think that they show US horse races, do you get horse races from Europe? So, whilst I know that the Kentucky Derby exists, I've never seen a race. I know that Nigel Mansell moved from Formula One to Indy car racing but I don't really know what an "Indy Car" is - is it a type of car or a type of circuit? I ever seen more than five minutes of a baseball or American football game but then I don't watch much cricket or rugby either. I wonder what sport from other countries is routinely shown elsewere?

I suppose that television shows sport to its existing supporter base. Here, football fans expect to see their teams - Manchester United, Celtic, whatever in the same way that an Australian might want to see Melbourne play cricket. I think that Channel Four shows some baseball late at night and satellite TV seems to have endless sporting channels, including all the minority sports that used to complain about their lack of coverage.

I wonder if, as communications grow and people are able to choose what they watch on an individual basis from a huge number of channels our sporting worlds will merge more as has happened with our cultural worlds (theatre, cinema, TV) or will sport remain local, part of society's ritualisation of our tribal roots.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Wouldn't it be fun to have a cross-sport matchup? American football players and European rugby players could play games of football and rugby, and see who comes out with the fewest broken bones. Baseball and cricket teams could play each others' sports and see who remains awake the longest.

#46442 11/04/01 08:51 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
And it was a good weekend to be green. Within a 24-hour period:

MSU 4 Bowling Green 0 (hockey)
MSU 89 Magic All-Stars 87 (basketball)
MSU 26 Michigan 24 (football)

It is good to be a Spartan

#46443 11/04/01 10:16 PM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
>It is good to be a Spartan

And I'm glad you have a place to post your joy!

By the way in the cross cultural sports competition, I'm sure that the cricketers (or their audience) would be bound to fall asleep first!

F
addict
addict
F
Wouldn't it be fun to have a cross-sport matchup?

I love it! The real fun would be watching the team playing it's non-native sport struggling merely to remember the rules!

And as far as the MSU-Michigan football game goes, what a fantastic finish, but it *does help to be the home team, doesn't it? For those who didn't watch, Michigan State was the recipient of some creative timekeeping (:03...:02...:01...:01...:01) and a rather blatant non-call on the final (game-winning) play. I'm a Spartan fan for career reasons -- two of my bosses are MSU alumnae!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wouldn't it be fun to have a cross-sport matchup? American football players and European rugby players...

Assuming each team playing with its respective rules and uniforms, it would be interesting to see if the American football players could manage to stay out of their committee meetings long enough to catch any of the rugby players.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith