Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#45156 10/19/01 10:58 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Border collies are very bright, but very apt to get into mischief if they do not have sheep to work on.

[Flirt] Arf! You've got me pegged, dr. bill. But we have other outlets: if sheep aren't available we'll try to herd toddlers, young children, or even short-statured adults! [/Flirt]

#45157 10/19/01 11:41 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
I wonder when sheep dogs were first used. I don't remember their being mentioned in the Bible.

Job 30:1 (King James version): But now they that are younger than I have me in derision, whose fathers I would have disdained to have set with the dogs of my flock.

Iliad, Book X: and sitting with their arms about them. as sheep dogs that watch their flocks

#45158 10/20/01 12:14 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Keiva: You must have read both Bible and Iliad more extensively than I did. Of course for many years the dogs would have been principally a defense against predators. We had a Maremma guaranteed to keep predators away. The Border Collies struck me as regarding the sheep as potential food supply that they shared with us. A Border Collie "giving eye" to a sheep is very obviously no friend of the sheep. And I have read that in the UK where they originated, they are routinely destroyed at about age five or six, because they sneak out at night and kill somebody else's sheep. I think James Herriot has a story about this.

#45159 10/20/01 12:37 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
You must have read both Bible and Iliad more extensively than I did.
Must admit that I merely googled. Haven't yet looked for a searchable Code of Hammurabi!

Border Collie "giving eye" to a sheep is very obviously no friend of the sheep.
On the contrary. The border collie, using "eye", works the sheep by threatening just enough to make them shy away in the desired direction, but not enough to stampede them. It's a very fine line, I understand. I've admittedly never watched a sheepdog trial (must remedy that), but I've seen it in action when the dog herded by kids, when they were small.

I believe this "eye" technique is unique to border collies. Other herding breeds do their work, for example, by running at the sheep or cattle or by nipping at their heels.

BTW, border collies are being used to frighten migratory geese away from golf courses. It's been found the only effective way to control serious problems, at some cousess, of (how to put this delicately?) grossly excessive goose-droppings.

And I have read that in the UK where they originated, they are routinely destroyed at about age five or six, because they sneak out at night and kill somebody else's sheep.
[Flirt] A foul canard! Your sources, sir? [/Flirt]
[keiva] Down, girl! dr. bill's one of the good guys! [/keiva]

#45160 10/20/01 01:22 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I regret to say, dear friends, that y'all are floundering about when there is a perfectly simple answer. I don't have it, since, alas, I am not a Hebrew scholar. What you quoted, Dr. Bill, is the classical English translation of a Hebrew psalm. To answer your question authoritatively, we need a Hebrew scholar to enlighten us on the Hebrew words for "rod" and "staff" in the original. Any scholars out there?

#45161 10/20/01 01:48 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
I'm not sure there is any extant hebrew original. As I recall, the King James was a translation from the latin Vulgate, which in turn was a translation from the aramaic. I'll try to do a little checking, but on me, you shouldn't count.

#45162 10/20/01 01:58 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Pardon my saying it, Ken, but you are totally out to lunch. The King James Ver. (properly called the "Authorized Version") was the work of the most eminent divines of the day and they worked from all available originals, Hebrew and Aramaic for the Old Testament and Apochrypha, Greek and others for the New Testament, not from the Vulgate. The Vulgate was not from Aramaic sources; St. Jerome used basically the same sources as the later English translators, but his were better, being more than 1000 years more recent. Also, the Psalms are read and/or sung every week, in the original Hebrew, in synagogues worldwide; indeed, many are recited daily by the devout, so there is no problem finding the Hebrew original of Ps. 23. Of course, you have to know Hebrew to address Dr. Bill's question.

#45163 10/20/01 02:18 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Keiva: We had Border Collies for about ten years, and I paid a lot of attention to them. My feeling is that they feel they have a contract to help the shepherd, whose judgement they frequently are tempted to doubt, but they still look on the sheep as prey being conserved for an eventual banquet. I still say that when they are "giving eye" they are saying under their breath "I'd chew the bejesus out of you if I could get away with it!" There was an article in Smithsonian a couple years ago about their being used to herd geese off turf which the geese want to eat, and into the pond, where there is nothing the geese want. So the geese get discouraged with being hurt, which would get the bleeding hearts up in arms. The geese are really getting to be a nuisance, and I thought it stupid that they were allowed in hundreds close to runways at Dulles. They could easily cause plane crash by getting into engine intake.

#45164 10/20/01 03:22 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
No "pardon my saying so" needed, byb. I was tentative in my info (I should have so indicated more clearly), and you're well ahead of me on this one. Later edit: Mine certainly was a durn-fool comment, wasn't it?

I tried a bit of googling throuh "talmud", without success.

However, Flirt insists that I first google to demolish dr. bill's defamation. As FDR said in his Fala speech, Well, of course, I don't resent attacks, and my family doesn't resent attacks, but [Flirt] does resent them. [S]he has not been the same dog since. I am accustomed to hearing malicious falsehoods about myself. But I think I have a right to resent, to object to libelous statements about my dog."

#45165 10/20/01 01:52 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Keiva: Here is a quote about rogue Border Collies, which of course does not apply to Flirt.

Border Collie site http://www.bcrescue.org/bcwarning.html

Rogue dogs however, are not uncommon, and in many European countries,
Australia and New Zealand, where the dogs are often allowed to roam free, sheep
and calf-killing Border Collies can pose occassional threats to livestock. Many
people say that once a Border Collie has tasted blood, they can never be trusted
again and normally, the dogs are summarily exterminated.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 738 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith