#44674 10/16/01 05:04 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

#44675 10/16/01 05:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
gymk> also, most of us don't review the original post once several responses have been added, so additional information provided therein will most likely go unnoticed.

gk, I think we've proved *that beyond a shadow of a doubt!

#44676 10/16/01 06:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re: also, most of us don't review the original post once several responses have been added, so additional information provided therein will most likely go unnoticed.

actually, we often edit posts.. but we leave in the original, and add an edit in red or blue.. with a big
EDIT and then the changes.. and sometimes.. (not to pick on Xara, but her edits are so much fun..) a complaint will be edited.. and the complainer will acknowledge.. oh, yeah, you did actually answer the question i asked.. but what i meant to ask was....

me, i just hang my head in shame, and mumble, mea culpa, mea culpa.. again and again..

#44677 10/16/01 09:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The beat of helicopter blades directly overhead woke her. As she
stared, down out of it, hooked by a harness and cable to the mother
ship above, came Brock Vond ... whom his colleagues were calling
"Death from Slightly Above," had been out traveling in a tight
formation of three dead-black Huey slicks, up and down the terrain
of Vineland nap-of-the-earth style, liable to pop up suddenly over a
peaceful ridgeline or come screaming down the road after an
innocent motorist....
-Thomas Pynchon, Vineland (1990)

I know this is of no help, since obviously the military expression inspired it and not vice versa, but it is literary.

#44678 10/16/01 09:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this is a sort of off the wall answer... but sometimes putting out something that is totally off the wall -- get mind working in a better way..

there is the expression "by the nap(e) of the neck. (and i don't know which is correct, i think it is nape, but it is orally pronounced like nap.. ) cat carry kittens by the nape of the neck, and fathers and mothers place their hands on the nape of the their childrens necks to push them where they want them to go..

anybody else have some thoughts? nape of the neck morphed into nap of the earth?

#44679 10/16/01 10:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Okay. We seem to have been flying by the seat of our pants on this one. Here's my guess, based on nothing other than being absolutely sick of Tornadoes and Jaguars flying over my house at altitudes with negative signs in front of them:

If you look at a topographical map, the contour lines run reasonably close together, or at least trend together for any given geographical feature, like a hill or a valley between hills. If you think of corduroy, something similar applies. The ridges and valleys run close together. Assuming that nap of the earth flying involves flying at low level along contours, which it must usually do, there's your "nap".

How it came to be used as military jargon, heaven only knows. Just remember, "military intelligence" is an oxymoron!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#44680 10/17/01 03:17 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Does anyone know the origin of the phrase, "Nap of the earth?" It is used to describe flight that skims the landscape in order to approach a target undetected and to avoid enemy fire. It was used in US Army aviation as early as 1967.
The ordinary meaning of "nap" is to doze off during the day. The secondary meaning is "to be offguard". Hence the phrase "Catch them napping" . Flying by the "nap of the earth" refers to the practice of flying low to the earth (undetected by radar) to catch the enemy by surprise (or "napping").

#44681 10/21/01 04:37 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
[Adding to the general discussion, but not in any way approaching the original question emoticon] My Etymological Dictionary of the English Language indicates that nape and nap are unrelated:

Nap (1) a short sleep ... formerly a verb; ME, nappen, to doze ... AS, hnaeppian, to nap; hnaeppao is a gloss upon dormit, Ps. xl. 9, ed. Spelman. Cf. Bavarian knappen, to nod with the head ...; OHG. hnaffezen, to nap. ...
(2), the roughish surface of cloth. (MDu.) .... Prob. introduced by Du. clothworkers. ... M Du. noppe, “to nap of woole or cloath,” hexham; cf. MDu. noppen, to sheare of [off] the nap; ... Cf. Du. nop, nap; Dan. noppe, frizzed nap of cloth; MSwed. nopp, nap; Low G. nobben, nap; Bremen Worterbuch. Also Norw. napp, nap, and Norw. nuppa, to pluck off with the fingers; AS. knoppian, to pluck, ... AS. a-hneapan, to pluck off; Goth. dis-hnupnan, to be torn in pieces; dis-hniupan, to tear to pieces. All from Tuet. base, *hneup. to pluck, pull.

Nape, the joint of the neck behind. (E.) ... The original sense is projection of “knob;” and the term must have been first applied to the slight knob at the back of the head, felt on passing the finger upwards from the neck; cf. OFries, halsknap, nape of the neck. It is, in fact, a mere variant of ME. knappe, a knob, button, ... Cf. Icel. knappr,. a knob, stud, button; AS. cnaep, the top of a hill.

And I wonder how widespread is of troy’s pronunciation of “nape” as “nap?” I’ve never heard “nape” pronounced with a short a.

#44682 07/23/05 10:45 AM
B
stranger
stranger
B
NAP(near as possible)

It means to fly as Near As Possible to the earth. I realize that you say NAP of the earth, and it sounds funny to say near as possible of the earth. But NAP is an acronym.

Should have asked an Army pilot first. Could have saved you some time :)

#44683 07/23/05 11:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ah! welcome, Black Hawk!

your answer gave me the clues to your name, plus you brought back an extremely enlightening old thread. too bad that a couple of the posters haven't been around for quite some time.

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 519 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith