Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
#43831 10/18/01 10:24 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Bingley, you do understand, I trust, that I don't see anything the least bit offensive in your post. I was asking whether anyone offended by goldi's should (IMHO) consider whether his/her reactions are inconsistent. But for that substantive question raised, I would have filled my post with ironic smile icons.

(BTW: "Jacobus Canus"? Loved it!)

#43832 10/18/01 10:28 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've been watching this one with interest, although I had not contributed until now. But now my dander's up, so here goes:

First of all, I think that the treatment of Goldibear was needlessly harsh. In fact it was shameful. It looked like the kind of abuse I came to this forum to get away from. Consider this: she was offering a course in Atlanta. She wasn't trying to sell you all something over the Internet, present your credit card and it will arrive in four to six weeks. The only known Atlantan on the Board was AnnaS, and we all know that she's skipped town for the more interesting climes of Ithaca.

Secondly, we all sometimes post a URL to something interesting which may or may not contain advertisements. This is never an invitation to buy someone's product. It's usually information offered as part of a reply to a question, or it seemed to the poster that the information at the link would be interesting to everyone. Are the fanatics amongst you now saying that this is not acceptable? Get a life!

I think those of you who want to be PC police should consider what you're doing. And how you're doing it.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#43833 10/18/01 10:48 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
rabid marketeers' ravings

Mav, in the last few days (and somewhat to my bemusement! ) I've found myself repeatedly agreeing with your posts -- and I hope I've had the grace to say so. On this one, I agree with your general principle completely. I don't understand you to say that that principle applied in the goldie case (that is, that goldie was "rabidly raving"). You're dealing with the more important, general case.

#43834 10/18/01 12:22 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Yes, quite right Keiva - I don't happen to take exception to goldibear-faced cheek, and basically agree with you too CK. But I can also see there needs to be a line drawn somewhere which I guess is what those of our brethrennsistren were seeking to protect. Otherwise, is it going to be par for the course to have to pick our way through ads for (other doubtless worthy) product offerings in these columns? ~ I'd regret that.

#43835 10/18/01 01:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
FYI to Keiva--re your PM i went back and edited my post

I was mildly upset by goldibears ad. this is a dot org, not a dot com.. i don't think our response was rabid. in a lot of bulliten boards, there would have been an all out effort to flame.. and to post her email address on an other bulletin board, inviting millions of other to bomb her mail box.. this is pretty standard response on many, many bulliten boards... we, by contrast, were very mild-- both in our behaviour and in our words.

What i was very upset by was her response.. For future reference... (in other words, when i do this the next time...!) our response was mild enough not to have detered her!

there is a big difference between using this board to place an ad, (goldibear), giving a plug to a commerical company, (TEd) and referering to a commercial company in passing, (Bingley). No body got bent out of shape then Xara asked where can i buy "Harry Potter" books... and there were replies that included links to commercial sites. we don't pretend to live in a world that doesn't include commercial activity. (and i didn't mind, when someone sent me a very nice, very comforting email, obviously from their work site that included a link to the company web site as a signature file. I think i would mind, it i got the same as signature file here, or in a PM from here!)

Goldibear asked rhetoricaly, if i were selling dictionaries for a $1, should i tell you? well, the standard price for soft cover edition of a dictionary is $1 on the streets of NY.. and i expect the sellers make money.. so the answer to goldibear is, If you are buying dictionaries wholesale for $0.75, and coming here to hawk them them for $1, the answer is again NO. This is not a dot com site.

There is a place for ads.. Anu is looking for sponsers. (ie people who pay a fee to be able to read a select (us!) audience.) No one objects to the sponsers in the newsletter. Goldibear has the Newsletter as an option, and lots of other options, with out subverting this forum for her own personal use.

there are plenty of dot coms around.. i want to go shopping, i know how to find ads, and places to spend my money.

#43836 10/18/01 01:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For future reference...

So what's *this all about, Helen? Are we not supposed to read it because it was a reply to Keiva's PM to you? Why not just send it PM to Keiva?

#43837 10/18/01 01:22 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
c'mon, F, Helen musta jess fergat ter put the white outen after the fuss line

#43838 10/18/01 01:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, lessee [white]arga warga[blue] Auntie [/blue] we still here?[/white]

How about that! Let that be a lesson to all you strangers and newbies. Preview, preview, preview!

Does that mean I can read it? An whurat do I start?

#43839 10/18/01 01:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
for future reference
is from goldibear's response.. she posed the question, and addressed it to tsumw and Jazzo,

the first line of the post is refers to a private chasting i got from Keiva..(which i reluctantly admit i deserved) since there hasn't been too much new in thread since then, and he might have missed my edit.
EDITReally, honestly, truly, i did not see the problem at my desk at work... i don't know why, but it wasn't all white.. i just changed it now..

its been a bad day.. all of my brain cells are fried -- its not that i can't sleep, its just my sleep cycle is off.. i can't get to sleep at my normal time, i wake up at 5, and then just begin to doze again as the alarm goes off at 6.. so i am always tired..

#43840 10/18/01 09:08 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Keiva, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Nobody, unless I am misreading any posts after Bingley’s, has voiced any objections. The only thing I see is you going on about goldibear.

You say: I am not offended. But to those who took violent offense at a like course-announcement, made by goldibear: is your position, in this thread, consistent?

And: I was asking whether anyone offended by goldi's should (IMHO) consider whether his/her reactions are inconsistent.

Where did this happen?

You wrote a post to Helen chastising her...well good for you. Now what do you want to do, embarrass her in public. I don’t get it.

Is it inconceivable to you that some people want to avoid having to filter through ads to get to AWAD chat? Is it so hard to understand the distinction between bringing up a piece of information, or linking to a url, for people’s edification...and that of someone blatantly advertising a service for his/her own monetary gain.

I know, and agree, that some reactions were harsh in goldibear’s thread. And it was brought up in that thread...why do you keep harping on it in other threads.

Are you going to bring it up *every time somebody brings up an interesting bit of information or url?

Get over it for heaven’s sake. And if you really want to continue, go in goldibear thread instead of hijacking some other one.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith