Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#43593 10/04/01 02:07 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
The German news magazine, Der Spiegel reports Swiss scientists expect to be able to produce black holes domestically at the rate of one per second by the year 2006. The below link is to the German article.

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/0,1518,160458,00.html

The article actually says the projected date of readiness is April 1, 2006. It is possible, then, that this is a 6-month April Fool's joke, though I don't remember them celebrating that there.

As long as we're here, the below link to the same magazine shows a photo of a giant squid and a bunch of scientists.

http://www.spiegel.de/grossbild/0,1518,PB64-aW1naWQ9ODY2NTktYXJ0aWQ9MTU5OTk0LWNoYW5uZWw9d2lzc2Vuc2NoYWZ0,00.html

And this one an interesting and beautiful lateral view of a spiral galaxy

http://www.spiegel.de/grossbild/0,1518,PB64-aW1naWQ9MTIyOTA2LWFydGlkPTE0ODQzNS1jaGFubmVsPXdpc3NlbnNjaGFmdA_3_3,00.html

#43594 10/04/01 04:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The pictures are cool, insel., but the article was useless to me, a non-German-speaker. I was hoping the home page would offer an English version, but I couldn't find one.

#43595 10/04/01 11:04 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
<<useless to me>>

I'll work up a translation of the main points today at "work" and post it. :)

#43596 10/04/01 11:37 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If I knew how to spell Dankeschön, I'd put it...

#43597 10/04/01 02:51 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Particle physicists eagerly await the first of April, 2006. On that date, the first test-run of the Large Hadron Collider at the European Center for Particle Physics in Geneva will begin. Protons will be accelerated to previously unattained energy levels and collided in a 27 km underground Tunnel. Researchers involved in the project hope thereby to observe reactions [of the type] that occurred within tiny fractions of a second after the big bang.

But that’s not all. The energy produced by these collisions might suffice to produce a tiny black holes at the rate of about one per second, according to Savas Dimopoulos, of Stanford University and Greg Landsberg of Brown University. Their calculations will be published in the upcoming issue of the professional journal "Physical Review Letters."

oops! skipped this!

Until recently, black holes were considered a phenomenon of astrophysics. It was thought the ultra-massive objects could only be produced by catastrophic events, like the collapse of a start. Newer models of a universe with [additional spacial dimensions], however, suggest that very small black holes could be produced at relatively low energies.

A black hole produced in the Large Hadron Collider would be about a million times smaller than an atomic nucleus [the article does not say of which element, my guess is hydrogen] and would exist only a moment before disappearing in a flash [burst] of energy. Stephen Hawkings predicted this [literally ‘fate’] as early as the ’70. He said that the [phenomenal horizon/barrier] of black holes could be broken and [observed] as radiation…

If the Dimopoulos/Landsberg prediction proves correct, this would be the first time black holes would be observed [their existence demonstrated] by means of so-called Hawking [radiation]. In addition, the radiation could tell the physicists even more, namely [of] the existence of the additional space dimensions predicted by [Hawkings] theory.

Word-related theme: concerning "scenario." The German author uses the word "scenario" in connection with the Dimopoulos/Landsberg prediction (a word he does not use). This presented me with difficulty in translation: it seems to me that a scenario involves a great deal more randomness than the prediction of an as yet unobserved playing out of natural law.

#43598 10/04/01 03:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dearest insel., I don't know what your subject title means, but thank you for the translation, Sweetie--I am impressed!
April, 2006. On that date, the first test-run of the Large Hadron Collider at the European Center for Particle Physics in Geneva will begin
Yes--I've read about this.

Until recently, black holes were considered a phenomenon of astrophysics. It was thought the ultra-massive objects could only be produced by catastrophic events, like the collapse of a start. Newer models of a universe with [additional spacial dimensions], however, suggest that very small black holes could be produced at relatively low energies.
Cool! Is this a fractal?

#43599 10/04/01 04:12 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
"Bitte Sehr" means "you're very welcome"

Dear Jackie,

Fractals are a part of geometry, so, I guess not. But maybe someone who can add and subtract (i.e., not I) should have a go a that.

x IP

#43600 10/05/01 04:54 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Inselpeter, thank you for the translation. You put [phenomenal horizon/barrier]in square brackets. Does this mean you're not sure about the translation? Could it be that it means the event horizon, which as I understand it, is the boundary between the black hole and the outside universe? Again if I understand it correctly, it's called the event horizon because events which take place within it can never be observed from outside because the escape velocity from the black hole is greater than the speed of light. The event horizon is the furthest the light can get before it's pulled back by the black hole's gravity.

Bingley

Bingley
#43601 10/05/01 10:36 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
<<event barrier..

*those square brackets were to show I didn't know what the English term was, and I was approximating it. The term, such as it is, pertains to the conditions under which a phenomenon can occur--under which, in this case, a black hole could come into being. Before Hawkings, it had been thought that a black hole could only come into being as the result of a cataclysmic event: one involving immense mass and energy. The article, as I remember, used the word "horizon," but the more familiar near-equivalent in English would be "barrier," as in "sound barrier," i.e., "the X-15 was the first manned vehicle to break the sound barrier." I put the term in brackets and gave both "horizon" and "barrier" because I hadn't solved the problem.

post edit

"threshhold" together with some modifier, I suppose, because "barrier" connotes an engineering challenge whereas "horizon" may suggest conditional boundaries but does not generally share that connotation (or does it.)

The challenge is out: find the term if it exists or invent it if it doesn't

#43602 10/05/01 10:43 AM
R
addict
addict
R
Fractals are, as IP states, a concept in Geometry. There are a number of definitions - see http://home.earthlink.net/~mrob/pub/muency/fractaldefinitionof.html but the name, I believe, comes from the idea that a part (or fraction) of the shape when scaled up has the same form as the whole. Alternatively from the idea of an object having number of dimensions which is not an integer, say 2 and a half dimensions not 2 or 3.
Apart from writing little programs to draw Sierpinski and Mandelbrot shapes I know little about the subject. A google will pull up lots of fascinating pictures and articles.

#43603 10/05/01 11:08 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Maybe you're right. Now I gotta go back and check it out. I'll get back to you.

IP

#43604 10/05/01 04:13 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
I think you're right, Bingley. It's the tricky sentence for me. Could wsieber assist?

<<Seiner Vorhersage zufolge können ab und zu Partikel den Ereignishorizont des Schwarzen Lochs überwinden und entkommen als Strahlung>>

"According to their prediction, a particle could occassionally escape [lit. "defeat"] the "phenomenal horizon" of the black hole and escape as radiation."

Thanks, Bing.

#43605 10/05/01 06:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
here's a link with a bit of a different take on the concept:
http://www.geocities.com/Sunjara/titledesc.html

now, for the veritable pelf of the Incas, who can tell me the significance of the 'blue event horizon'.

#43606 10/05/01 09:30 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
tsuwm,
thanks.

#43607 10/06/01 03:33 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the significance of the 'blue event horizon'.
Is it this, tsuwm?
what might happen if the Earth was sucked into black hole
http://mmcs.ed.ynu.ac.jp/~daiki/workshop/html/e_page01.html
==========================================================
Thanks for the links, guys. Rod, the math in yours is WAY beyond anything I ever took, but I still was able to get a good bit out of your link. Fractal theory was developed the year AFTER I got out of college, so I have never been taught it. I've read a little about it, but I think I should borrow a leaf from my sweet Max's book, and study it on my own.

#43608 10/06/01 03:44 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Here I shall show my complete confusion/ignorance of this matter but I have a few questions that you can perhaps answer.

Here is the note tsuwm sent us to (sorry to take up so much space but my questions relate to some things that are written):

An event horizon is the outer edge of a Black Hole--a region of space where gravity is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape. Nobody really knows what is beyond the event horizon of a black hole; there are only theories.

Most scientists agree that any bold space traveler who sailed beyond an event horizon would be sucked into the black hole's "singularity," a point of infinite density and curvature of space-time where the laws of physics as we know them no longer apply. Some astrophysicists, such as Kip Thorne at the California Institute of Technology, postulate that, in special cases (such as in a rotating black hole), these singularties could be utilized as portals into other areas of our universe, or even other universes. The possibilities are truly infinite.[/]

Here goes....

a) if the hole is just blackness how do they know that there is light in there that is not escaping? If there is no light seeping out maybe there is no light at all.

b) how do they know the laws of physics do not apply inside black holes? No one or no probe has ever been in there to send back info.

c) if there are places where the laws of physics do not apply can they really be called laws?

d) how do they know the inside of a black hole is infinitely dense - again, we've never been and it could be something else completely PLUS if something is infinitely dense doesn't it follow that nothing could be sucked into it since well, it's too dense and there is no place.

e) Portals into other universes???? It sounds exotic, and wouldn't it be nice, but how did they come up with that?

I mean, why would they assume the far end of a black hole is not occuping same area of the universe as the near end?
For example, if I cross the St Hypolite tunnel in Montreal Québec, I go from Montreal to Longueuil in Québec, Canada. I don't wind up in China.

Why is that assumption being championed by so many scientists? Is it wishful thinking? Or does it have as much validity as someone advancing the theory that when someone goes through a black hole they come out being born on the other side as a new baby.

#43609 10/06/01 11:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The distance of the event horizon distance from a black hole, theoretical though it may seem, is actually calculable. Another name for it is the Schwartzchild Radius - which all objects which exert gravitational pull have exactly one and one only of.

If you want a fun- (and math-) filled five minutes, visit
http://208.218.135.74/top/blackHole.html

There are a lot of semi-mystical, science-fiction-y possible attributes attached to black holes. I have list of names in my little black book for people who I would choose to send to test for the existence of said attributes ...

If you want to know more, in a pop-science kind of way, I suggest you read Isaac Asimov's book on the subject which I believe was called "The Red Shift", but I could have the title and authors mixed up. And most of my books are still packed in cartons ... however, Isaac made it all quite approachable and understandable. Not one equation in the whole thing!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#43610 10/06/01 01:56 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
"Beyond the Blue Event Horizon" was the name of a science fiction novel by Frederick Pohl I read as a teenager, but I forget why it was blue, if indeed it was ever explained.

Bingley

Bingley
#43611 10/06/01 02:09 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
From Stephen Hawkings's "A Brief History of Time", page 111:

Since then the calculations have been repeated in a number of different forms by other people. They all confirm that black hole ought to emit particles and radiation as if it were a hot body with a temperature that depends only on the black hole's mass: the higher the mass, the lower the temperature.

How is it possible that a black hole appears to emit particles when we know that nothing can escape from within its event horizon?'

Bingley

Bingley
#43612 10/07/01 04:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bingley, I'm not sure whether How is it possible that a black hole appears to emit particles when we know that nothing can escape from within its event horizon? was part of your quote or your own comment.

However, if it was Hawking, I'd say that he's being contentious. He's stated a paradox and he's challenging other theorists to come up with an answer to it which may work. Clearly, if a black hole emits particles of any type then the second part of the statement is patently false. Things can escape above the event horizon. [Hmmm... -e]

#43613 10/07/01 11:30 PM
D
addict
addict
D
Sorry if this is too complex, boring or non-word-related.

Einstein was the first to propose the presence of black holes. The theory arose from his calculations around the relativity theories. "Objects" which act in the way Einstein described have since been "observed" in the universe. The support for the existence of black holes developed, in large part, due to the fact that Einstein was considered pretty smart, and was right most of the time. His calculations also suggested the "singularity" at the centre of a black hole. More on that later, maybe. It also pays to remember that much of this is still theory, despite its wide acceptance.

a) if the hole is just blackness how do they know that there is light in there that is not escaping? If there is no light seeping out maybe there is no light at all.

I think this was succinctly answered elsewhere. Basically it should be emitting radiation of some sort, but it appears not to be. Technically the event horizon is the point from which light can not as opposed to does not escape.

b) how do they know the laws of physics do not apply inside black holes? No one or no probe has ever been in there to send back info.

Again, this is Albert et al at work. And it depends which laws are being applied. Rather than laws not applying, it is more likely that laws and forces we are yet to decipher have such an overwhelming impact on the situation that the the laws we know can not explain what is happening. The concept of a singularity is a pretty damn confusing one, and I'll leave you to your own reading to make sense of it.

c) if there are places where the laws of physics do not apply can they really be called laws?

Short answer, yes. Long answer, see previous answer.

d) how do they know the inside of a black hole is infinitely dense - again, we've never been and it could be something else completely PLUS if something is infinitely dense doesn't it follow that nothing could be sucked into it since well, it's too dense and there is no place.

Ok, this one could be difficult. Infinitely dense is probably a simplification of the situation. Einstein's maths suggested that stuff just keeps going in and well, yeah. Your argument (or something similar) was the basis of the 'portals to somewhere else' theory. The stuff can't just stay there because it's too dense, hence it has to go somewhere else. Well, that associated with the whole space-time curvature thing. Does it help if you think of the universe as both infinitely big and infinitely small in the middle of a black hole? And infinite does not just mean really big, it means, well, infinite. And you'd be travelling at the speed of light, which means you'd be infinitely big.

I'm pretty sure that last paragraph wouldn't have helped much.

e) Portals into other universes???? It sounds exotic, and wouldn't it be nice, but how did they come up with that?

See previous answer.

I mean, why would they assume the far end of a black hole is not occupying same area of the universe as the near end? For example, if I cross the St Hypolite tunnel in Montreal Québec, I go from Montreal to Longueuil in Québec, Canada. I don't wind up in China.

I'm assuming the speed limit through the St Hypolite tunnel is not 300 000 000 m/s (1 080 000 000 km/h, 675 000 000 mph). And that your car is not infinitely massive. And that space is fairly undistorted and that time keeps ticking away at 1 second per second. And there's no 'far end' to a black hole. Just a middle. If you're in the middle of the St Hypolite tunnel, you could theoretically be anywhere.

Why is that assumption being championed by so many scientists? Is it wishful thinking? Or does it have as much validity as someone advancing the theory that when someone goes through a black hole they come out being born on the other side as a new baby.

It probably has a little more validity that the baby theory. Time would be distorted in much the same way as space, but distorting time only makes you age faster or slower, it doesn't reverse the ageing damn crossed thread process. I think I covered the reasons for it's popularity above.

How is it possible that a black hole appears to emit particles when we know that nothing can escape from within its event horizon?

When matter and anti-matter combine, they create well, nothing, basically. Similarly, nothing can spontaneously create matter and anti-matter particles. This happens continuously, although the particles don't last for very long and they pretty quickly combine to create nothing again. However, if this happens near the event horizon, and one particle enters the black hole, the other will (following the laws we know, which work well outside the event horizon) shoot off in the opposite direction. It is these particles which we can detect coming from where nothing should be able to come.

Any more questions?

#43614 10/08/01 01:21 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yeah. Did you want fries with that?

#43615 10/08/01 01:30 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Any more questions?
First, open-mouthed admiration, sir!
1.)Do you have a degree in physics, too?
2.)Isn't it possible that there is...something radiating from it, whether it is some form of light or not, that is either something we do not recognize or that we cannot measure?
3.)About that infinitely dense thing: stupid question: does pure energy take up actual, physical space? Is it possible that when the density is sufficient, that matter in a black hole simply becomes pure energy, and stays there, not going anywhere?
4.)Would you please elaborate on what combining matter and anti-matter create? It is more than nothing. Thank you.

#43616 10/08/01 06:02 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
4.)Would you please elaborate on what combining matter and anti-matter create? It is more than nothing. Thank you.

From what I remember of maths, the sums are fairly simple:
1 + (-1) = 0

#43617 10/08/01 08:52 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
The words were Hawkings's, not mine. Possibly I cut off the quotation too soon, but the explanation went on for a couple of pages. To summarise as best I can:

In a normal situation particles and anti-particles are coming into being and destroying each other all the time. In the region just outside the event horizon it is possible for one of the particle/anti-particle pair to fall into the black hole across the event horizon (which would have to be a one-way trip) thus leaving the other particle floating about without anything to annihilate with. For reasons I didn't quite grasp, it is the anti-particle which tends to fall into the black hole leaving the particle to its own devices. The result is it looks as if the black hole is radiating particles, but that is not what is actually happening.

Bingley

Bingley
#43618 10/08/01 04:04 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I am trying to wrap my mind around your explanations doc but am having a bit of trouble To put it succinctly ...I don't get it.

It seems, from this layman’s point of view, that all these explanations would be perfect examples to cite when trying to explain the expression “begging the question.” They seem to rely on the end belief to prove that very same belief.

Take the tunnel example:

====================================================================
ME: I mean, why would they assume the far end of a black hole is not occupying same area of the universe as the near end? For example, if I cross the St Hypolite tunnel in Montreal Québec, I go from Montreal to Longueuil in Québec, Canada. I don't wind up in China.

DOC: I'm assuming the speed limit through the St Hypolite tunnel is not 300 000 000 m/s (1 080 000 000 km/h, 675 000 000 mph). And that your car is not infinitely massive. And that space is fairly undistorted and that time keeps ticking away at 1 second per second. And there's no 'far end' to a black hole. Just a middle. If you're in the middle of the St Hypolite tunnel, you could theoretically be anywhere.
====================================================================

You are using the un-proven and currently un-provable belief that the black hole is infinitely massive, that inside you move at a tremendous speed and that it only has a middle, to dispute my point. Nobody knows whether time is distorted in a black hole. It can be just as easily assumed that it ticks at 1 second per second like everywhere else in the universe.

If you’re in the middle of the St Hypolite tunnel you are most assuredly beneath the St. Lawrence river between Montreal and Longueuil, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. If you are from out of town, we blindfold you and bring you to the middle of the tunnel, you might not know where you are and you can conjecture all you want, but you’ll still be beneath the St. Lawrence.

I think people are making things up because they are from out of town and don’t know where they are. AND that the subsequent arguments are being based on these conjectures and the conjectures are being used as proofs that the arguments are right …lo and behold “begging the question.”

#43619 10/08/01 04:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
From what I remember of maths, the sums are fairly simple:
1 + (-1) = 0

Dear Jo: Pppbfffttt! Nothing may be the end result in that space that was formerly occupied, but something happens that creates that nothing.

#43620 10/08/01 11:45 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
There is the other sum:

E=MC2 (can't do superscript 2)

Essentially, our everyday Newtonian concept of the universe falls apart at the extremes. When things get very small, we throw out Newtonian mechanics in favour of Quantum theory (Heisenberg etc, see this link: http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~imamura/122/feb9/hup.html).

When things get very large we throw out Newtonian mechanics in favour of General Relativity (see this link http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia/NumRel/GenRelativity.html. As far as I remember, Hawking is in search of the big idea that unifies the theories.

Because we don't live in a world where we are aware of E=MC2 applying in our everyday lives, it is hard to picture that particular relationship between mass and energy. We just have to remember to throw out the rules whereby apples fall out of trees (v=u+gt) and think in a completely different way, the amazing thing to me is how clear it all seemed to Einstein.

#43621 10/09/01 03:33 AM
D
addict
addict
D
1.)Do you have a degree in physics, too?

No, 'fraid not. Just an unhealthy interest in astrophysics.

2.)Isn't it possible that there is...something radiating from it, whether it is some form of light or not, that is either something we do not recognize or that we cannot measure?

Based on Einstein's premise that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, we must assume that nothing can be radiating from it. But we don't know anything.

3.)About that infinitely dense thing: stupid question: does pure energy take up actual, physical space? Is it possible that when the density is sufficient, that matter in a black hole simply becomes pure energy, and stays there, not going anywhere?

Energy doesn't so much take up space, as exist in space and have an effect on space. In a black hole it is more likely that the energy becomes pure matter - the large "forces" providing the energy needed for the transformation. Having said that, the matter and energy aren't really there, the singularity is.

I'm going to struggle on this one, I think. All (isolated) reactions must conserve momentum, mass-energy, charge and probably other stuff. When nothing becomes matter and anti-matter, energy is produced as well. Hence when matter and anti-matter combine, the process requires energy. If external energy is unavailable, there will be a resultant negative energy afterwards. However, there can be no such thing as anti-energy, so the universe pulls some weird stunt whereby a photon-like particle is created with whatever qualities it needs to ensure conservation of whatever needs conserving.

Or something like that.

#43622 10/09/01 04:21 AM
D
addict
addict
D
Some of these answers may seem flippant, and I apologise if they do. Many of the concepts I do not even pretend to understand. I do not comment, I merely report...

You are using the un-proven and currently un-provable belief that the black hole is infinitely massive, that inside you move at a tremendous speed and that it only has a middle, to dispute my point. Nobody knows whether time is distorted in a black hole. It can be just as easily assumed that it ticks at 1 second per second like everywhere else in the universe.

You are absolutely correct. None of this can be proved. It is simply the best current explanation we have, However, working on the assumption that Einstein was right...

Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
As things travel faster, they become more massive.
If light can not escape a black hole, which is what the maths suggests and what we appear to be observing in the universe, then even something which is not moving at the even horizon, will be moving at the speed of light when it gets to the middle.
Anything moving at the speed of light is infinitely massive.
However, the black hole itself is not infinitely massive because...
Space and time are distorted by the black hole (and indeed by any object)
At the singularity, space-time is infinitely small, and stuff is infinitely big, hence there is infinite density.
Because of this, although there is another side to the black hole, there is not necessarily another end. All we can say is there is a big happy oneness in the middle, through which nothing passes.
Although space-time are distorted, if you exist in that space-time, time will continue to tick away at 1s/s. Only to an external observer will time appear different.

If you’re in the middle of the St Hypolite tunnel you are most assuredly beneath the St. Lawrence river between Montreal and Longueuil, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. If you are from out of town, we blindfold you and bring you to the middle of the tunnel, you might not know where you are and you can conjecture all you want, but you’ll still be beneath the St. Lawrence.

You are only beneath the St Lawrence if you are observed beneath the St Lawrence, which is a different argument altogether. Otherwise you are only probably there.

A black hole is not like a hole in the ground with an opening at one end and a closed bit at the other, nor even like a tunnel, with two openings and some space in between. It would only appear as a 2-dimensional black circle on a simple 2D image of space. It is actually a 3-dimensional entity, into which things enter and never leave. We hypothesise that these things reach the middle and then do their mystic singularity thing. If the St Hypolite tunnel became progressively smaller, such that it was impossible to pass the half-way point, then as traffic approached the middle, there would be progressively more cars, and they would be moving slower. Where the tunnel analogy falls down is that the cars would be able to keep coming forever, yet none would ever get through, and there would be no road rage.

#43623 10/09/01 05:31 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
If I remember correctly, what happened was that somebody called Chandrasekhar (spelling?) worked out that given a big enough star and Einstein's theories, a black hole is what would result when the star ran out of "fuel" and collapsed in on itself. Other people, such as Penrose and Hawkings, then took that idea and worked out mathematically some of the implications. Then astronomers actually started looking for black holes.

So basically the theoreticians said that black holes with certain properties should exist, and then the practical astronomers dutifully found them.

Bingley

Bingley
#43624 10/09/01 10:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So basically the theoreticians said that black holes with certain properties should exist, and then the practical astronomers dutifully found them.
Yes, and that's the way many of the higher-number elements were found, too.

doc--Thank you, sir! 'Preciate your time.

#43625 10/09/01 05:08 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
and that's the way many of the higher-number elements were found, too

and quite a few other scientific "discoveries", which started out as abstracted postulates. Indeed®, as with the recently announced Nobel Prize for Physics:

The researchers were cited for creating a Bose-Einstein condensation (BEC) and for their investigation of its fundamental properties.
The BEC was predicted in 1924 but was first created in 1995. It occurs when atoms are cooled to almost absolute zero.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/in_depth/sci_tech/newsid_1588000/1588594.stm

as for “as cold as…”, try this for a cross-thread link!

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/bec/temperature.html

#43626 10/09/01 05:42 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
My guess would be that in modern times most discoveries and breakthroughs in pure science (as opposed to technology) occur precisely this way: when observational data is sought to confirm an existing theory. The data found may indeed confirm the theory -- or may be contrary to the theory, spurring a hunt to discover what is wrong with the theory.

Examples would be the discovery of the planets Neptune and Pluto, the non-discovery of the planet Vulcan (and no, I am not talking about Star Trek), and the Michaelson-Morley experiment.

#43627 10/09/01 06:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When nothing becomes matter and anti-matter, energy is produced as well. Hence when matter and anti-matter combine, the process requires energy.

I thought it was the other way around. Did I have my head on backwards that day in physics class?

#43628 10/09/01 07:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
maverick! Oh! Oh, thank you!! How utterly cool (pun intended)! I never heard of the Bose Einstein condensate before, and ooh, I want to know more! I also never heard of the Joint Institute for Laboratory Astrophysics before--I really ought to get around to reading all those Discover magazines that are piling up...

Here's a link from your site that tells more detail about how they did it:
http://jilawww.colorado.edu/www/press/bose-ein.html

#43629 10/09/01 08:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mav, I had so much fun! Like, wow, man. I learned something and got to play with cold balls and ping pong machines and psychedelic lights. LOL and giggles too,especially if you think of the other thread while reading the intro.

#43630 10/10/01 10:39 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Just my two cents worth...

Matter being sucked into a black hole is accelerated faster and faster by the gravitational pull of the black hole. As the matter reaches very high speeds but before it crosses the event horizon, it releases X-rays and other forms of energy. (I'm sketchy on the details here.) It is these x-rays and particles that a black hole is emitting, albeit from outside the event horizon.

Anyone interested in fractals should read James Gleick's wonderful book "Chaos." It helped make a math major out of me.

I am not sure why anyone ever talks about entering a black hole. The poor little atoms that make up your body might all enter the black hole, but their organization that constituted a person would be history. i.e. You'd be ripped apart by the gravitational energy of the black hole and then you'd be squashed down into the singularity. The only consolation would be that it would happen so fast that you wouldn't feel much.

When two antiparticles collide, they annihilate each other and produce energy. It takes input of energy to create antiparticles. One process by which this is known to occur is called "pair production."

In pair production, an incoming amount of electromagnetic radiation (i.e. a photon) with an energy of at least 1.02 MeV (mega electron volts) interacts with the elctromagnetic field of the atomic nucleus of a target atom. The energy of the photon is absorbed in the process of creating a pair of antiparticles -- an electron and a positron. A positron is essentially an electron that has a positive electric charge instead of a negative electric charge.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When two antiparticles collide, they annihilate each other and produce energy. It takes input of energy to create antiparticles. One process by which this is known to occur is called "pair production."

That's what I thought. Electron and positron meet in a dark alley and, poof! nothin but energy at the rate E=mc².

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Seriously, I feel as dumb as a box of hammers reading all your posts. I see all the words and the sentences all follow one another but dang if I understand a quarter of what you are saying.

Does anybody want to talk about what makes a fine chocolate, or how shampoo and foam bath is made or the grades of garbage bags or french fries or profiteroles with real Chantilly cream? Or how to explain all that to a buyer and make him give you the business. Now that I know.

The black hole stuff -- colour me clueless even though I do try. My hat is off to you if you do.

#43633 10/10/01 09:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The poor little atoms that make up your body might all enter the black hole, but their organization that constituted a person would be history. i.e. You'd be ripped apart by the gravitational energy of the black hole and then you'd be squashed down into the singularity.

Which takes us back to my little black book full of potential investigators ... [evil grin -e]

#43634 10/12/01 04:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>The poor little atoms that make up your body might all enter the black hole,

Years ago someone wrote a sci-fi story about a guy who investigated the disappearance of a starship that had tried to orbit a black hole. All he found was a wrench that had been twisted all out of shape by the intense gravitational forces. The story concluded that it was a star mangled spanner.

TEd
#43635 02/28/02 11:15 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So, I thought some of the new people here might like it, too. Here ya go hev, enjoy.Besides, WO'N was a little uncomfortable with the fact I had 666 posts. Didn't want to bedevil him any longer

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 471 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith