Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#43593 10/04/01 02:07 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
The German news magazine, Der Spiegel reports Swiss scientists expect to be able to produce black holes domestically at the rate of one per second by the year 2006. The below link is to the German article.

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/0,1518,160458,00.html

The article actually says the projected date of readiness is April 1, 2006. It is possible, then, that this is a 6-month April Fool's joke, though I don't remember them celebrating that there.

As long as we're here, the below link to the same magazine shows a photo of a giant squid and a bunch of scientists.

http://www.spiegel.de/grossbild/0,1518,PB64-aW1naWQ9ODY2NTktYXJ0aWQ9MTU5OTk0LWNoYW5uZWw9d2lzc2Vuc2NoYWZ0,00.html

And this one an interesting and beautiful lateral view of a spiral galaxy

http://www.spiegel.de/grossbild/0,1518,PB64-aW1naWQ9MTIyOTA2LWFydGlkPTE0ODQzNS1jaGFubmVsPXdpc3NlbnNjaGFmdA_3_3,00.html

#43594 10/04/01 04:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The pictures are cool, insel., but the article was useless to me, a non-German-speaker. I was hoping the home page would offer an English version, but I couldn't find one.

#43595 10/04/01 11:04 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
<<useless to me>>

I'll work up a translation of the main points today at "work" and post it. :)

#43596 10/04/01 11:37 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If I knew how to spell Dankeschön, I'd put it...

#43597 10/04/01 02:51 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Particle physicists eagerly await the first of April, 2006. On that date, the first test-run of the Large Hadron Collider at the European Center for Particle Physics in Geneva will begin. Protons will be accelerated to previously unattained energy levels and collided in a 27 km underground Tunnel. Researchers involved in the project hope thereby to observe reactions [of the type] that occurred within tiny fractions of a second after the big bang.

But that’s not all. The energy produced by these collisions might suffice to produce a tiny black holes at the rate of about one per second, according to Savas Dimopoulos, of Stanford University and Greg Landsberg of Brown University. Their calculations will be published in the upcoming issue of the professional journal "Physical Review Letters."

oops! skipped this!

Until recently, black holes were considered a phenomenon of astrophysics. It was thought the ultra-massive objects could only be produced by catastrophic events, like the collapse of a start. Newer models of a universe with [additional spacial dimensions], however, suggest that very small black holes could be produced at relatively low energies.

A black hole produced in the Large Hadron Collider would be about a million times smaller than an atomic nucleus [the article does not say of which element, my guess is hydrogen] and would exist only a moment before disappearing in a flash [burst] of energy. Stephen Hawkings predicted this [literally ‘fate’] as early as the ’70. He said that the [phenomenal horizon/barrier] of black holes could be broken and [observed] as radiation…

If the Dimopoulos/Landsberg prediction proves correct, this would be the first time black holes would be observed [their existence demonstrated] by means of so-called Hawking [radiation]. In addition, the radiation could tell the physicists even more, namely [of] the existence of the additional space dimensions predicted by [Hawkings] theory.

Word-related theme: concerning "scenario." The German author uses the word "scenario" in connection with the Dimopoulos/Landsberg prediction (a word he does not use). This presented me with difficulty in translation: it seems to me that a scenario involves a great deal more randomness than the prediction of an as yet unobserved playing out of natural law.

#43598 10/04/01 03:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dearest insel., I don't know what your subject title means, but thank you for the translation, Sweetie--I am impressed!
April, 2006. On that date, the first test-run of the Large Hadron Collider at the European Center for Particle Physics in Geneva will begin
Yes--I've read about this.

Until recently, black holes were considered a phenomenon of astrophysics. It was thought the ultra-massive objects could only be produced by catastrophic events, like the collapse of a start. Newer models of a universe with [additional spacial dimensions], however, suggest that very small black holes could be produced at relatively low energies.
Cool! Is this a fractal?

#43599 10/04/01 04:12 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
"Bitte Sehr" means "you're very welcome"

Dear Jackie,

Fractals are a part of geometry, so, I guess not. But maybe someone who can add and subtract (i.e., not I) should have a go a that.

x IP

#43600 10/05/01 04:54 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Inselpeter, thank you for the translation. You put [phenomenal horizon/barrier]in square brackets. Does this mean you're not sure about the translation? Could it be that it means the event horizon, which as I understand it, is the boundary between the black hole and the outside universe? Again if I understand it correctly, it's called the event horizon because events which take place within it can never be observed from outside because the escape velocity from the black hole is greater than the speed of light. The event horizon is the furthest the light can get before it's pulled back by the black hole's gravity.

Bingley

Bingley
#43601 10/05/01 10:36 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
<<event barrier..

*those square brackets were to show I didn't know what the English term was, and I was approximating it. The term, such as it is, pertains to the conditions under which a phenomenon can occur--under which, in this case, a black hole could come into being. Before Hawkings, it had been thought that a black hole could only come into being as the result of a cataclysmic event: one involving immense mass and energy. The article, as I remember, used the word "horizon," but the more familiar near-equivalent in English would be "barrier," as in "sound barrier," i.e., "the X-15 was the first manned vehicle to break the sound barrier." I put the term in brackets and gave both "horizon" and "barrier" because I hadn't solved the problem.

post edit

"threshhold" together with some modifier, I suppose, because "barrier" connotes an engineering challenge whereas "horizon" may suggest conditional boundaries but does not generally share that connotation (or does it.)

The challenge is out: find the term if it exists or invent it if it doesn't

#43602 10/05/01 10:43 AM
R
addict
addict
R
Fractals are, as IP states, a concept in Geometry. There are a number of definitions - see http://home.earthlink.net/~mrob/pub/muency/fractaldefinitionof.html but the name, I believe, comes from the idea that a part (or fraction) of the shape when scaled up has the same form as the whole. Alternatively from the idea of an object having number of dimensions which is not an integer, say 2 and a half dimensions not 2 or 3.
Apart from writing little programs to draw Sierpinski and Mandelbrot shapes I know little about the subject. A google will pull up lots of fascinating pictures and articles.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith