Carpal Tunnel
M

#42798 09/25/01 09:24 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
So far nobody has alluded to the dozens and dozens of automobiles named after founders of the company

But of course, BYB did.

Was there a Mr. Rolls and a Mr. Royce then BYB?

-----------------------------------------------

Yup, Caesar could hardly have been the inventor of the 'section' since he was allegedly the outcome of one. (Bill, I haven't checked out your post yet so if I'm off on this mea culpa)

-------------------------------------------------

See now, when you are unclear about what you want, the conversation inevitably turns to food again. Take careful note for future reference ladies. That little bit of wisdom should come in handy one of these days. Be precise! Cause the next time you suggest a little snack off he'll go to the kitchen.

#42799 09/25/01 09:34 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#42800 09/25/01 10:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yup, Caesar could hardly have been the inventor of the 'section' since he was allegedly the outcome of one.

Well, whaddabout the salad, then?

By the way, I'm not altogether pleased with the Caesar dressing recipe I normally use; if any of you culinary masters have a fantabulous one and would like to send it by private, I'd be much obliged

#42801 09/25/01 11:03 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
The Thomas Crapper reference can be found in published sources, but they cite no sources. It appears to be a myth perpetrated by Flushed with Pride: The Short of Thomas Crapper, (1969) by Wallace Reyburn. Panati (who I cited above) writes: The book reads for long stretches as serious biography, but the accumulation of toilet humor puns, double entendres, and astonishing coincidences eventually reveals Wallace Reyburn's hoax." [examples omitted]

#42802 09/25/01 11:17 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Again according to Panati, the Titzling account is another Reyburn creation. In Bust Up: The Uplifting Tale of Otto Titzling" (1971) Reyburn informs us that Otto Titzling, assisted by a Dane named Hans Delving, created a bra for Sweden's greatest female athlete, Lois Lung. Titzling later brought suit for patent infringement against a Frenchman, Philippe de Brassiere.

Reyburn's account has been accepted and cited in later references!

Can anyone find out if Reyburn is still alive? If so, we've got to get him on this board!

#42803 09/25/01 11:55 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
My apologies to BYB. I have been driven nuts by agonizingly slow changes from window to window, and missed his. Back in the twenties there were so many odd-ball car companies, that we had a game of sitting on the curb, watching the cars, and seeing who could be first to identify each car as it came into view. "My Moon!" "My Essex!" "My Peerless!" "My Pierce Arrow!" "My Franklin!" There were so many different ones each kid's score was fairly large.

G
old hand
old hand
G
For automobiles there's Austin, Aston-Martin, Bentley, Buick, Bugatti, Citroen, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Daimler, Delahaye, Delorean, Deusenberg, Delage, Dodge, Edsel, Ford, Hillman, Humber, Isotta, Kaiser, Lincoln, Marmon, Mercedes-Benz, Messerschmitt, Morris, Oldsmobile, Peugeot, Renault, Rolls-Royce, Stanley, Studebaker, Tucker, Willys, et al.

Then there's Armstrong-Whitworth, Avro (A.V. Roe) Beech, Bloch (later Dassault), Boeing, Bristol, Brewster, Cessna, Curtiss, Dornier, Douglas, Fokker, Ford, Hughes, Loughead (later Lockheed), McDonnell, MIG (Mikoyan and Guerevitch), Piaseki, Piper, Ryan, Sikorsky, Taylor, Tupolev, et al among aircraft.

Shall I go on to bicycles?

G
old hand
old hand
G
Singer--which for years was sewing machines.

Well, since Ted hasn't said anything to keep us in stitches, I guess I'll have to mention that it was Elias Howe who invented the first modern sewing machine. Howe he did it makes for a howeling good story. It's said he dreamed of needles with the holes in the wrong end. I guess he got it awl wrong.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Incidentally, as recently as the;youth of one of my grandfathers, tomatoes were thought unsafe to eat.

Talking to friends with elderly relatives here in Scotland that seemed to apply to almost all non root vegetables until fairly recently!
.... OK I've made it white, it's a foodie thingy, .... back to the land of the deep fried Mars Bar ... oh, maybe that is relevant, I can post that ...

Mars bars (they are different in the UK to the ones in the USA but that is another story) were named after Forrest Mars.

M&Ms too (we used to call them "Treats", unless they were a different company, possibly because we didn't have Hershey's chocolate here)
The first M was Mars, the second M stands for Bruce Murrie, who was the son of the president of Hershey, Mars’ biggest competitor. Mars put up 80% of the capital, Bruce Murrie 20%. The explanation for this unusual joint venture was that chocolate was rationed during WWII, but not for Hershey’s, which produced chocolate for the troops. By setting up in business in this way, M&Ms had a guaranteed source of chocolate. (Mars soon bought the younger Murrie out, but M&Ms continued to be made with Hershey’s chocolate through the 60s.)

http://www.goodbyemag.com/jul99/mars.html

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 471 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith