Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Bingley: people just can't resist changing things. The people in Rhode Island even put tomatoes into chowder. There ought to be a law......Incidentally, as recently as the;youth of one of my grandfathers, tomatoes were thought unsafe to eat.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I was told that "Manhattan" clam chowder made with tomato instead of cream - as is New England clam chowder - is because some religions' dietary laws forbid mixing fish and milk.
I am open to correction. Anyone?
*Not a food thread, rather an effort to learn.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
some religions' dietary laws forbid mixing fish and milk.

Fish and milk? Mammal meat and milk I've heard of but not fish and milk. Lox and cream cheese anyone?

#42780 09/24/01 05:06 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Ketchup isn't always the ubiquitous tomato type. I have seen several recipes for walnut ketchup, which seems to be something like chutney, which would make it like what Bingley alluded to.

B
veteran
veteran
B
What immediately came to my mind is graham flour, which is used to make graham crackers. This is a type of whole-meal flour, supposedly more healthy, invented in the late 19th century by a physician named Graham.

Then there are automobiles: Ford, Chevrolet, Studebaker, Dodge, Kaiser, Henry J (this and the preceding being named for the same person), Frazier, Oldsmobile and Reo (for Ransom E. Olds), Benz, Duesenberg, Citroen, Panhard, Morris, Rolls-Royce, etc. etc., as well as Harley-Davidson.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Barbie doll; peach melba; melba toast; frisbee; bloomers; derby; bakelite. Bunsen burner?
hooker (if same can be considered a product rather than a service)
leotard ("19th century French trapeze artist Jules Leotard. In the clinging costume that became his trademark, Leotard enjoyed a large female following. And he advised men [to] 'put on a more natural garb, which does not hide your best features.'"

Dr. Bill, as you requested: my source for most of this is Charles Panati, Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things. You may well enjoy the and other similar Panati works. (As to the particular item you questioned, Panati say his explanation is "according to legend".)

B
veteran
veteran
B
I don't know about Barbie, Ken. And according to the terms set out by BelM in her original post, melba toast and peach melba don't qualify -- neither were invented by Nellie Melba, they were named for her, as was the case with Chicken Tetrazzini, Spaghetti Caruso, Tournedos Rossini et al. However, Sauce Béchamel would qualify.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
See your point, byb. Was unsure if the first post required the "person" to be the "inventor" (contrast post's text with its header), but decided (see my prior header) we'd come up with more if we allowed the broader view.

My info is that the Barbie doll was named after Barbie Handler, whose parents (Elliot and Ruth) had founded Mattel toy. It was Ruth who designed that doll (the first "full figure" doll, in 1958, after noting that her daughter noting that her daughter ignored the typical cherub-type doll and preferred more shapely teenage paper dolls.

#42785 09/25/01 05:54 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
[sigh] This is what happens when food gets mentioned.

Bob, what exactly do you mean by chutney? What I know as chutney (which I've never seen here by the way except in Indian restaurants, and there's only about half a dozen of those in Jakarta) is completely different from kecap .

Bingley

Bingley
#42786 09/25/01 10:45 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
If you go to the town of Ashcutney,
It is no use to ask them for chutney.
You may beg, plead and wheeze
And get down on your knees;
It will do you no good -- they ain't gutney.

But in the spirit of never posing a problem without offering a solution:
reply: In the village emporium of Woodstock,
Of chutney they keep quite a good stock.
They're more given to gluttony
Than the folk of Ashcutney,
Who neither of liquors nor foods talk.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 804 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith