Next Thread
Print Thread
#4231 07/18/00 11:59 PM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Just another doltish question here! is there a difference between iterate and reiterate? seems like there should be... thanks

#4232 07/19/00 12:17 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#4233 07/19/00 04:19 AM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
well... at least I asked. Now I'll use it correctly :)

#4234 07/19/00 06:11 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Most of us poor souls use re-iterate to mean repeat and never have any cause cause to use iterate except in a technical way in mathematics and computing. Iterating is one of the things that computers do so much better than people!

By the way, please don't be put off asking questions. As we have mentioned before - the title of this section is Q & A about words. It is often the most simple questions that start of hours of discussion.

As a big "links" fan. I find the links that people find most fascinating, leading off into all kinds of interesting areas but they really aren't an alternative for simple human interaction. If they were, we could just scrub the board altogether and just write a web page about search methodology.

I hestitate to say this ... but maybe, on matters of opinion, between us we sometimes find a better/more interesting answer than the exisiting links provide. I for one, enjoy the discussion between the different nationalities on the board.

So I will reiterate. Please post questions - this is why the board is here!

#4235 07/19/00 12:15 PM
J
stranger
stranger
J
You have said "Post questions, that's why the board is here". This being my first time on this board I am not totally clear as to how to do this, so I just picked your post to reply to. My question is this: I have heard ministers repeatedly claim that the word "atonement" comes from "At-One-Ment". Aren't they just playing with words in making this claim? To me this makes about as much sense as saying that the word "therapist" comes from "The Rapist". What do you say?

#4236 07/19/00 01:35 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
james, welcome.
just above the "post" in "last post" on the Q and A screen there's a page icon. push that and you can start a new question that will listed on the board.
i think the ministers may be right. but one of our resident geniuses will be able to verify or debunk that with more authority than me.

#4237 07/19/00 02:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, it's bit of a stretch... atonement comes of course from atone, which in its original sense meant to cause to be at one (or agree); thus, from Shakespeare:
He and Aufidius can no more atone
Than violentest contrariety

#4238 07/19/00 02:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>As a big "links" fan. I find the links that people find most fascinating, leading off into all kinds of interesting areas but they really aren't an alternative for simple human interaction. If they were, we could just scrub the board altogether and just write a web page about search methodology.

I hestitate to say this ... but maybe, on matters of opinion, between us we sometimes find a better/more interesting answer than the exisiting links provide. I for one, enjoy the discussion between the different nationalities on the board.

So I will reiterate. Please post questions - this is why the board is here!<<

Jo--

THANK YOU for putting into words what I have so far only
been aware of as a vague discomfort with some of the posts!

EVERYTHING YOU SAID gets my hearty second!

So, JAMES--welcome, and please post all you wish!
I'll add one suggestion to William's, in case you haven't
found previous posts that said this: when you are writing a post, go up to the top of your screen, and click on the
blue lettering that says markup in your posts.
You'll be given a screen that explains not only markup, but the functions of the various buttons and icons!

#4239 07/19/00 10:19 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I'm glad you posted your question James. It looks like you got some "human" responses.

Perhaps we should send a message to Anu (Wordsmith). It sounds like a FAQ - frequently asked questions section would be useful in helping people find how to post a question.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith