Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
#42402 09/21/01 10:23 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But cold, very, very cold ...
I imagine, CK, that that would give 'inspiration' for things to "move right along"...

My sweet bel, what about vacation cottage or cabin? I thought about 'shack', but that seems a bit low for a clapboard structure. Loved your dot post, by the way!
Now, consuelo, if you connect the dots of your chicken pox, you could develop a new art form.

#42403 09/21/01 01:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage, ol' chap, when you were talking about it being a bust

Bust? Moi? Nuh-uh, 'tweren't me what talked about nuthin' bein' no bust. 'At were TEd what done.

#42404 09/21/01 01:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Camp is sometimes used to refer to some pretty well apportioned dwellings in the Adirondacks, but that is the only context I have heard it used in to indicate anything other than a collection of, usually tents, but, at the high end, log shelters that had one side entirely open.

Cabin might work also, but then if we're talking translation to and from Canadien, who knows what to say?

#42405 09/21/01 02:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
fishing camps I've been to in the GWN are anything but well-apportioned-or-appointed, but the edifices do have solid walls. some are well kept up and others... just trashy. often the only access is via bush pilot.

back in the USA, the National Guard, Scouts and so forth go to summer camps and seldom see the inside of a tent.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I *thought well-apportioned looked funny.

#42407 09/21/01 05:17 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Wow, I reread this post to make sure it was o.k. and I see the words summer chalet and it sounds so high-end and fancy.

In Ontario we always used "cottage" to describe the summer vacation home. It seemed to apply to everything from the shacks to those fancy places (with their heat, electricity, running water and likely cable access, looking like something out of a "homes of the future" magazine) that I'd see across the lake from my grandparent's cottage.

#42408 09/21/01 05:34 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Cottage it is then. It sounds very homey - which the cottage was. Actually, it was quite roomy. There was a boys room, a girls room AND my parents had a separate room to themselves - something they did not have at home (they slept in living room on hide-a-bed)

#42409 09/21/01 06:18 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Cottage it is then. It sounds very homey - which the cottage was. Actually, it was quite roomy...

Sounds a lot like my grandparents cottage. Three bedrooms, living room/dining room and kitchen in an "L" shape, and a bathroom, laundry room. It's amazing how roomy they can be even when by city standards they're small. I suppose having all the outdoors also added to it, being an extra room. My grandfather did a lot of work on the place through the years, adding split log steps down to the lake, and garden. I was too young to remember the changes - only the end result. But I've been told about them often enough. My grandparents probably would have stayed there all year if it didn't get quite so *cold*. ;-) A ton of insulation wasn't one of the upgrades, and besides, the water got pumped up from the lake and filtered. The whole contraption would have froze along with the lake and burst if not drained for the winter.

One of the things I remember best was the huge barrel of wood blocks which were the main entertainment for any kids over - the tv never really picked anything up on the antenna. Then there was smell of the pine trees, and one year being there in time for the trilliums blooming in the woods - a wide carpet of them. Very beautiful.

The water freaked me out. I loved to swim, but not the little fishes nipping. ;-)

Ali

B
veteran
veteran
B
I hate to go from chalets to outhouses again, but BelM demands, "Do you mean to tell me that they were emptied out?" Oui, ma chère, c'est ça exactement.

My father-in-law grew up in an area which was, before 1918, adjacent to the city of Baltimore, at which time it was incorporated into the city. It was developed in the 1880s and was a neighborhood of small row houses (some only 9 feet wide) with very small yards in back, and each had a outhouse. There was a service called, of all things, the OED or Odorless Excavation Device, familiarly known as the "honeydipper" which you called for when needed. It was essentially a horse-drawn wagon with a large tank on top and some sort of handpowered pump hooked up to thick hoses. They usually arranged matters so as to do a number of houses on the same block on the same day, as it was anything but odorless. The outhouses were not replaced by city sewers until well into the 1920s.

*** Post scriptum. The folks at the big word book by the Isis will be glad to hear that I was wrong about what the device was called. My wife tells me her recollection of her father's story is that it was the OEO, Odorless Excavation Operation, and the kids would run around chanting, "Oh-ee-oh-ee" when it came around.

#42411 09/21/01 07:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In Zild (and I'm sure that either MaxQ or I have mentioned it before) we get round the whole problem of what to call our holiday homes by using not one, but TWO completely different words for them.

In the North Island, holiday homes of all descriptions, from driftwood-and-corrugated-iron shacks to $2 million architecturally-ruined and aesthetically-challenged multiplexes are called baches.

In the South Island, the self-same holiday homes of all genera are called cribs.

If you talk about a bach or a crib, anyone in New Zealand will understand that you mean a holiday home, although they will not necessarily have any idea about its quality. There are entire books and whole TV documentaries dedicated to the humble and not-so-humble crib/bach. A cottage industry, really ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 693 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith