Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
It's a three-holer
For family use? I've heard that the family that prays together stays together, but might this be excessive?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No Kaopectate back then. One of my brother-in-laws(cuñado for those paying attention) used to call the well-built ones "monumental" This was said in Spanish preceded by a reverse hiss.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Not to be gross here but, I remember we had an outhouse at our summer chalet when we were young. It was made of wood and movable for when the hole in the ground became, well, full. Brick outhouses don't sound like they would be all that movable. Do you mean to tell me that they were emptied out??

Wow, I reread this post to make sure it was o.k. and I see the words summer chalet and it sounds so high-end and fancy.

I wonder if there is a better word for what my parents own. It is a rectangular, one-storey house (no basement), clapboard siding on the outside and no walls on the inside. Welllll, actually, my mom, being the creative sort, not being able to afford actual drywall, stapled old bedspreads to the two by fours to give the illusion of walls. We love it and still go up North every once in a while but 'chalet' looking it is not. Any ideas?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How about vacation camp?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Well we do use camp when we talk in French. It is an 'anglicism' - a word the French have borrowed from the English. But doesn't a camp involve tents more than houses?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not necessarily. I have heard men refer to hunting camps that had nothing to do with tents but everything to do with roughing it.

post-edit-and beer.

#42398 09/21/01 12:32 AM
old hand
old hand
Outhouses are still common throughout water-poor rural Australia (flushing considered to be a criminal waste of water). No such thing as a pan service way out there either, so they sit atop a bloody great pit. Usually built of wood and/or corrugated iron and strategically placed to allow the occupant/s to take in the view (typically flat red nothingness...). Inevitably covered by a peppercorn tree for shade (usually magnificent botanic specimens due to the abundant supply of nutrients!!). And, in all seriousness, a wonderful fossicking opportunity 50 to one hundred years later for those of us that collect old bottles. (Gallons of Lysol during its operating life and lots of bacterial action over the decades negate any unpleasantness).

You have probably heard them referred to as "dunnies" - but, for those REALLY in the know, they are called "long drops"!!!

stales

#42399 09/21/01 12:45 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Well, I guess camp it is then. But we don't rough if very much any more since there is now running water (hot water since two years) and electricity.

throughout water-poor rural Australia (flushing considered to be a criminal waste of water).
Wow stales, what a description. I am always so amazed at the diversity of the world. Here in Québec you can't throw a brick without hitting a lake (or a church). I am exagerating a bit (about the lakes...not the churches) but there is so much water people don't even spare a thought for it.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

It's a three-holer
For family use? I've heard that the family that prays together stays together, but might this be excessive?

I seem to remember the Romans enjoyed(?) communal facilities seating up to 20 at a time.

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Talking about your loo with a view, the toilet at Empress Hut (on the Empress Ridge of Mt Cook - about 10,000 feet ASL) sits astride a ridge. Guess where the byproducts go? It's the ultimate long drop! Interesting place, interesting loo. Probably has one of the best views in the world! But cold, very, very cold ...

BTW Faldage, ol' chap, when you were talking about it being a bust, were you referring to Susie, by any chance?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith