Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42237 09/18/01 10:53 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Things are beginning to return to normal.. we are beginning to be able to make jokes about it.. not that there isn't serious problems.. US satilite photos of the site, a large scale, and more detailed than anything seen on the news were availble, and it took us several minuted to orient ourselves.. the twin towers where the land mark that everything was north of, or west of, or east of, and now with out them as the linch pin, nothing can be found.

but as the current issue of the new yorker made comment, to the world, america was attacked, to the nation, NY (and DC)were attacked, to NYers, something happened downtown. through out much of the city, life goes on unchanged, there are still alternate side of the street parking days, (or not) garbage is still being picked up on schedule, people are only slightly less rude as things go.

the epa is involved in the clean up.. we are pushing to get all the steel (the building was clad in stainless steel, plus all the structural steel) recycled.

be prepared for the franklin mint to buy some and recycle it into some sort of memorial junk.

the dust and ash goes to the dump-- and what of the concrete? one plan is to dump it at sea. there are places where there once existed coral reefs, and with the rough concrete, these reefs could re build them selves.. but might they be too dusty? and make the ocean water turbid? the plan is not settled, but one person asked, would NY be okay with that? the answer?

dump them in the ocean off jersey? yeah, that sound fine.. the droll NY answer had NJ delagated about to blow a gasket, until they realized, we were just being our usually selves! the question remains unsettled. but delaware has expressed an interest.. If we new yorkers had our way, we'd have a bidding war.. (not an ebay type, for a rock or two, but who wants a couple of hundred tons?)

there was a tie up on the George Washington bridge yesterday.. it delayed me. the problem was one of a collections of over sized (wide load) trucks, carrying parts of a crane so big, the convoy of disassembled parts stretched for over a half mile. a single truck had tried to pass through the toll booth-- and had proptly gotten stuck. the consensus in the car (we were car pooling,) was that Port Authority wouldn't let them pass unless they went throught the toll booths.. what with all those axles, it was $150 in tolls alone! the PA needed that money-- think of the lost revenue from rents! to hell with the traffic backed up for miles! (the PA owned the WTC.)

all about, grizzly, gallow humor has taken hold.. i am not sure what stage of grief this is.. but we are moving on.

#42238 09/19/01 03:00 PM
old hand
old hand
I had a long conversation with my roommate this morning, after Jay Leno's return to production of the Tonight Show. I rarely stay up for late-night TV (I'm more of a morning person...), but something made me want to see how he'd approach this. I appreciated his emotional soliloquy, and I posited to my roomie that it was heartening to be reassured that the writers would continue with respect for the gravity of this situation.

My roommate said "Wouldn't it be enough if they just continued on and acted appropriately without having to tell us that they would act appropriately?"

Well, in a perfect world. The reality is that they've built their careers on nothing being sacred. I suppose I was drawn to watch the Tonight Show last night to make sure I would still like Jay Leno. I do believe that the reassurance needed to be spoken, because from a performer's perspective, there's nothing worse than feeling like the audience is just waiting to hate you. I expect some backlash on performers who will invariably insist on violating this "contract", but it's comforting to know that there is something sacred in the modern world.

#42239 09/19/01 03:17 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Re:there is something sacred in the modern world.

Yup, it is life.. and it goes on.. it is not that i don't grieve for the 5,000+ dead, representing 62 differerent nationalities.. but, you know what? i am alive.. i have to go on living. and humor is a tool that humans use to deal with things that are out of their control. i think it is good that there is some humor left.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 771 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith