About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#42180 09/19/01 01:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Part of the problem is that when Whoozy got a hold of the lyrics he didn't like Bruce's original, which made some sense and changed it to something that didn't and then went ahead and made the song popular. FTR, I have always heard "wrecked up like a doosh'n in the middle of the night". I had the whole thang splained me back a few weeks ago and don't remember what either the original was nor what was Whoozy's alteration (nor, for that matter, who Whoozy is) but I'll kin go ask around and reconstruct.

So you see, Jo, this *is a serious question and any of your friends who feign disinterest when you ask the question are merely masking their own inadequacies. You, on the other hand, are demonstrating your courage by boldy asking one of the important questions of our generation.

#42181 09/19/01 02:12 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>You, on the other hand, are demonstrating your courage by boldy asking one of the important questions of our generation.

Of course you are right. I should always take your advice on these matters.

Actually the subject was drawn to my attention by a previous thread, somewhere in the bowels of this lot. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find it.

She boldly goes
and ... some time later ...
here it is ...
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=7406

#42182 09/19/01 02:35 PM
old hand
old hand
By all means, follow the link above. I didn't, then I had to come back to edit my post after I did when I realized I had mondegreened it myself.

#42183 09/19/01 04:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah! "Revved up like a deuce...". That makes more sense. I was given "wrapped up like a deuce...". But the Bruce original was, apparently, something more like "cut loose like a deuce...", but Mr. Mann didn't like the internal rhyme so he changed it.

Now *this site http://www.kissthisguy.com/real.html seems to be claiming that "revved up" and "wrapped up" were both done by MMEB

#42184 09/19/01 04:29 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
dag-nabbit!

[rant]

Gol-durned has to be one of my least favorite expressions ever. The reason: the cable channel Bravo broadcast the miniseries "Tales of The City" which originally was shown on PBS, and used "gol-durn" extensively for the many times in the script that the actors actually said "god-damn." It was completely absurd for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that a bunch of 20-somethings living in San Francisco in the early 1970's wouldn't go around saying something so corny. Furthermore, anyone who might have been offended by the use of God-damn probably would have been offended even more by the overall story that invovles homosexuals, pot-smoking grandmothers and a secret sex-change operation.

"Bravo" continually amazes me with their seemingly impossible blend of artistic pretention and prudish censorship. When they show the film "Stand By Me" (a great movie), they even edit the taunting of the fat kid ("Lard ass! Lard ass! Lard ass!") to "Lard! Lard! Lard!..." It's pathetic; the movie is a PG rated film.

[end rant]

#42185 09/19/01 09:09 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I agree Faldage...and have you noticed that, more often than not, the voice they use to do the dubbing sounds only faintly like the original? Arghhh, how annoying is that!!

It is even worse with translated movies (we get English to French here). The voices they assign to the characters never really 'fit' their look (let alone the lip movements) and then there is the dubbing over the dubbed voice when a swear word needs to be erased.

Just be thankful you don't have women doing little children voices in your movies. It grates on the nerves.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Japanese-to-the-rest-of-the-world interface comes up with some hilarious messes from time to time, but probably one of the most memorable for me was one of those interminable "samurai go mad in downtown Kyoto and commit mass murder" movies which used to get screened with somewhat monotonous regularity on New Zealand late night television.

The Japanese seem to dub these films in English before they're released and the cultural gulf yawned wide in this particular case. The voice of the lead samurai (who'd accounted for half the population of Honshu within five minutes of the film's beginning and hadn't even worked up so much as a sweat) had been dubbed by someone who had a fairly high-pitched voice and an incipient lisp. I watched the movie through tears of laughter ... now if only he'd looked like Frankie Howerd!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
See http://www.engrish.com for some hilarious messups in translating Japanese into English, most often on business signs apparently in Japan.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yah, Engrish.com is always worth a cruise.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 501 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith