Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#41876 09/17/01 06:08 AM
B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
How would you make parents-in-law possessive? Parents'-in-law, parents-in-law's, or parents-in-laws'.

And this hardly seems worth starting a new thread over, so I'll put it here.

Another site gives as their word today misoneism, meaning hatred of innovation. Would this make a hatred of Japanese soups misomisoism?

Bingley

Bingley
#41877 09/17/01 08:00 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

F
addict
addict
F
How would you make parents-in-law possessive? Parents'-in-law, parents-in-law's, or parents-in-laws'

I'd use the highlighted choice above, but only if forced. I would more likely say something like, "We stayed at my wife's parents' house." And even then I'd use my wife's name if I thought the person I was talking to would know who I was talking about.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Let's start with the singular first. "I stayed at my mother-in-law's house" sounds fine to me and looks OK too. So, from that, we come to either parents-in-law's house or parents-in-laws' house. Assuming you only have one sets of parents-in-law, the possessive would be parents-in-law's, wouldn't it?

Parents is plural. "I stayed at my parents' house." But if I am talking about only one parent, I say, "I stayed at my parent's house."

TEd
#41880 09/17/01 05:31 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
misoneism, meaning hatred of innovation

and would a moderate degree of distate for inovation be mesomisoneism?

B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
Thanks TEd and Flatlander, that's what I thought but it just didn't look right. The context by the way was "She knows her parents-in-law's birthdays."

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Still doesn't look right, Bingley. Parents-in-law shouldn't be allowed to own anything!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
old hand
old hand
"She knows her parents-in-law's birthdays."

I'm with CK - it still doesn't look right. This sounds like a case for Prepositional Phrase!! More powerful than an apostrophe! Sexier than a dangling participle! Able to be strung together so that a sentence is right next door to incomprehensible! [coronet flourish] It's some words... it's inane! It's Prepositional Phrase!

"She knows the birthdays of her parents-in-law."

My work here is done.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[coronet flourish] You've been crowned, f-babe?

I still say it should be parents-in-laws'. Bingley, since you are unsure (somebody fan me, quick), the only person whose uncited word I will take is Nicholas'.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it ... doesn't look right.

Well, the prepositional phrase doesn't *sound right. So I guess it depends on whether you're going to say it or write it. If you really must write down what someone said, you're on your own.

B
veteran
veteran
B
WARNING: DIVERGENCE FROM THE MAIN SUBJECT

This discussion of relations brings to mind something interesting which I encounted the other day. Chinese has two different words for "sister-in-law"; one for "wife's older sister" and a different word for "wife's younger sister". Although the article I read didn't say so, I would presume the same applies to brothers-in-law. I am also aware that in a good many languages there are different words for "aunt/uncle on the mother's side" and "aunt/uncle on the father's side" and that there are, even in English, different words for different kinds of cousins. (Cousin-german comes to mind.)

Does this indicate that we English speakers are not as concerned with the niceties of family relationships as other people who need such terms because the intricacies of the family are important? I would imagine that the two different words in Chinese reflect that culture's old-time acknowledgement of rank and position in families as well as in other relationships.

Do any of you have some more instances to share and/or comment on?

B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
Some Indonesian relationship terms:

kakak older sibling
adik younger sibling
Even twins get divided into kakak and adik.

Saudara male relative in the same generation (includes brothers and male cousins)
Saudari female relative in the same generation (includes sisters and female cousins)
Also a term of address used to promote solidarity; not as common as adik and kakak for actual relatives.

bapak and ayah father. I think ayah implies a closer less formal relationship.
ibu mother
bapak and ibu are also used as terms of address, Mr. and Ms.; also seorang bapak a man seorang ibu a woman
orang tua parents (literally old people: in slang abbreviated to ortu)

kakek grandfather
nenek grandmother
also used to mean old man or old woman (also note: nenek moyang the ancestors)

anak child
putra son putri daughter (much less commonly used than anak)

ipar brother or sister in law
menantu son or daugher in law
mertua parent in law
besan son or daughter in law's parent

om or paman uncle (om is also used as a friendly term of address to a man of one's parents' generation)
tante or bibi (again tante is also used as friendly term of address to a woman of one's parents' generation)
keponakan nephew or niece (but unless you were being very precise you would probably call them anak)
sepupu cousin (again you would probably call them kakak or adik)

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
RE:
Saudara male relative in the same generation (includes brothers and male cousins)
Saudari female relative in the same generation (includes sisters and female cousins)

and is there a term for cousin not in the same gereration?

my father's family is 'fractured'-- he was born when his mother was in her 50's, and she was the youngest in her family, so my grandmother was born when her mother (my greatgrand mother) was 48.
the result, many of my father's first cousins were 40+years older than he was. so i have many relatives who are second cousins, once removed.. (they are my age, but i belong with their parent's generation, who are my second cousins.)

it is confusing.. most of us didn't understand how it worked till we were adults.. and it caused some problems, since my mother insisted on no "fake" aunts. So some of my cousins (all with a comman grandmother,) were shocked to her me call their grandmother, Annie.. but she was my first cousin, once removed!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie harrumphs®: I still say it should be parents-in-laws'. Bingley, since you are unsure... the only person whose uncited word I will take is Nicholas'.

And since Nicholas's [sic] word isn't here, I'll leap into the breach: "in-law" is a descriptive, and in English we don't pluralize adjectives. So I go with "parents'-in-law." For analogies, look at "attorneys-general" and "passers-by."
Having said that, I agree the construction is awkward and should be proscribed post-haste.

#41890 09/19/01 06:05 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
and mesomezzomisoneism a tepid dislike for the husky caberet chanteuse? (fr.?)

#41891 09/19/01 06:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ASp:

In speaking the sentence, which would you say:

1. I was at my mother's-in-law house.

2. I was at my mother-in-law's house.

I would always use the second one, never the first. Hmmm. We could recast it. Peggy was at her mom's house. I went along. Or: Peggy wasn't at her mom's house, but I was. (Now, Mrs. Robinson, would you please put that back on!)

TdE

Terrorism delenda est

TEd
#41892 09/19/01 06:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'll take Door Number 2, TEd. So much for grammar. Thanks for the aural outpoint.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
See if this makes sense (and no finger pointing and guffawing if it doesn't 'cause I never claimed to be resident expert, so there)

Can't the whole construction 'mother-in-law' be a noun? The term names one particular person. Without the 'in-law' you are talking about a completely different entity.

I see it the same way I see the term highrise. High is a descriptive but having been joined to rise becomes part of a noun. True the hyphen has been removed but isn't that just a matter of time.

Thus Mother-in-law's house would fit the bill.

Oh wait, I just thougth of the plural. We'd say Mothers-in-law wouldn't we? Ah heck. Colour me clueless again.

I'll stick to "belle-mère / belles-mères". This is the first time I can say it is so much clearer in French.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Actually, I agree with you, Bel. Sorry, Jo, but while the construction of "mother-in-law" is a noun modified by an adjective, the whole shebang is one word albeit with two hyphens, and stands on its own as a noun. Ergo, it has to be mother-in-law's.

[Afterthought] Oh shit, I'm in the same country as her now. Why did I do it? Just how far is it from Wellingborough to Edinburgh anyway? I think I'll go and get lost in London tomorrow ...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Okay, let me try this again," she mumbles.
In Spanish:
Cuñado=brother of your spouse
Cuñada=sister of your spouse
Pay attention, this is where it gets tricky-
Concuño=husband of your spouse's sister
Concuña=wife of your spouse's brother
Spanish also has names for the relationship between the parents and the godparents of a child.
Comadre=godmother of your child or mother of your godchild
Compadre=godfather of your child or father of your godchild
¡TA-DA! I have finally taken the time to get the tildes, accents, and punctuations mastered! It's a Wahoo moment.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
SWMBO and MILWMBO - poor, poor CapK

B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

and is there a term for cousin not in the same gereration?

my father's family is 'fractured'

I think saudara/i would be used for people who are more or less your own age, and for much older cousins you would use om or tante, but that's just a feeling. It's as much a question of etiquette as language and quite possibly varies from ethnic group to ethnic group.

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
SWMBO and MILWMBO - poor, poor CapK

Thanks Bel. I just feel so - endangered! [running and hiding -e]

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
parents'-in-law for the the whole bunch of in-laws on either side. Writing of course, kinda awkward to say "parentses!"
So why not "all the in-laws" and skip parents?
Or is that too easy?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
what am I missing here, guys? We have a description (a noun phrase) with the form ~in-law, with the stem varied by wether it is singular or plural. But in both cases the possessive suffix is surely 's. Or is that all much too simple?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Well somewhere in all the posts up there you will see where we ran into a conundrum Mav.

You say "my mother-in-law's house in nice" because the whole term 'mother-in-law' is the noun BUT If mother-in-law is really a noun then why isn't it mother-in-laws (instead of mothers-in-law) when referring to the mom on both sides of the family. And is it mothers-in-law's houses or mother-in-laws' houses.

And when you refer to both parents on both sides it becomes an unweildy mouthful (leave that one alone dear - people are sensitive these days and after that whole Bingley size of fig-leaf debacle, well, nuff said)

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
why isn't it mother-in-laws...

yeahbut®

that's exactly what I do say. One MIL, 2 MILs, and even with the benefits of modern marriage 3 or more MILs

imho, Mothers-in-law is pedantic and tastes wrong.

No problemo!

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
and what also occurs to me, reading this again, is that it is partly a question as mentioned above of the compaction effect over time: whilst your proposal woud have been fine in the days when we were first talking about 'mother' qualified by legal status, I would argue we now universally talk about muthrinlaw - it's in effect one word.

F
addict
addict
F
Cuñado=brother of your spouse
Cuñada=sister of your spouse
Pay attention, this is where it gets tricky-
Concuño=husband of your spouse's sister
Concuña=wife of your spouse's brother

OK, consuelo, but what about the spouse of your brother/sister? I've always found it odd that English doesn't have a seperate word for that relationship.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
We do Flatlander. The spouse of your brother is your sister-in-law, and the spouse of your sister is your brother-in-law.

Were you, perhaps, talking about the siblings of your brother(or sister)-in-law? There is no 'one' word to describe these people, well, "strangers" if you really don't know them.

F
addict
addict
F
I asked, OK... but what about the spouse of your brother/sister?

and belM noted, The spouse of your brother is your sister-in-law, and the spouse of your sister is your brother-in-law.

I should have been clearer. I meant that it seems strange to me that both the brother of your spouse and the spouse of your brother are given the same title. I like how there is a name for the spouse of your spouse's sibling -- I have some very good relationships with my concuño/as (plurals, consuelo?) -- and I was wondering if there was a difference between the names of the different relationships I mentioned above.

#41907 09/20/01 07:36 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...how many solicitors-general, attorneys-general, and even Governors-general I must report your infraction to?

You must have handsful of them.

Note: the -s- plural marker infix!

#41909 09/20/01 08:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>You say "my mother-in-law's house in nice" because the whole term 'mother-in-law' is the noun BUT If mother-in-law is really a noun then why isn't it mother-in-laws (instead of mothers-in-law) when referring to the mom on both sides of the family. And is it mothers-in-law's houses or mother-in-laws' houses.

Moot point. If you have more than one mother-in-law you have a LOT more to worry about than where to put a little old apostrophe or -s for pluralization.

It was bigamy to bring that up!

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The spouse of your brother or sister still falls under the same category as the brother or sister of your spouse. Sorry, that combination escaped me. I think it must have run under the desk while I was learning to make the tilde.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In my family they are known as out-laws[tee-hee emoticon]

B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

after that whole Bingley size of fig-leaf debacle, well, nuff said

Have I missed something? Been taken over by aliens? I don't remember mentioning any figging leaves.

Bingley

Bingley
B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
While we're on the subject when did -in-law come to refer your spouse's relatives, anyway? In Jane Austen's time mother-in-law meant stepmother, and brothers- and sisters-in-law were just called brother and sister.

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, Bingley old chappie, we're all much, much younger than you. We, unlike you, weren't around during the Regency period. We all defer to your greater longevity!

B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
That's the problem with cryogenics. One misses out on developments which occurred between the two periods in one's life.

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You mean you're just freezing us out from time to time? Typical!

B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
just chillin' out, not meaning to give anyone the cold shoulder.

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, you-all, my sides hurt--you-all're killin' me!
Where to start? Oh, I know: It was bigamy to bring that up! Trust you for that, Ted! ...it seems strange to me that both the brother of your spouse and the spouse of your brother are given the same title. This seems strange to me, too, unless it is where homosexual marriages are legal. ...solicitors-general, attorneys-general, and even Governors-general...passersby...handsful Good ones, brethren. figging leaves...cryogenics...just chillin' out, not meaning to give anyone the cold shoulder You mean you're just freezing us out from time to time? Oh, ow ow ow!

R
addict
addict
R
attorneys general

I have been told (but disagree with) the notion that trade union follows the same rule, so the plural would be trades union. To me, the noun is union and the modifier is trade so the plural is trade unions. If the union incoporates several trades then it is a trades union.
In fact my POD agrees with me:
Trades Union Congress n. official representative body of British trade unions. I

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oooops...you're right Bingley. It was the size of Geoff's fig leaf we discussed. We would never discuss your fig leaf size, no sireee bob. The size of your fig leaf is the stuff of history.

Now whether it is the history of comedy or that of heroic deeds is an other matter.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
While fully appreciating that bel's hysterical -- oops, "historical" -- post above was but a scholarly scientific interest in fig-leaf sizing: botany and all,

had I not undertood that this board is devoted to matters linguistic, not scientific?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
But of course Keiva dear. The linguistics of botany is quite interesting dontcha know.

*Somebody’s* feeling a little threatened by fig-leaf comparisons. Men are sooo sensitive about their botany.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Bel says, Men are sooo sensitive about their botany
No, bel, your interest in fig leaves is a of matter botany, as I'd said.
Now had you been talking about men, I'd have said your scientific interest was zoology -- but would have been compelled to for you.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Somebody’s* feeling a little threatened by fig-leaf comparisons. Men are sooo sensitive about their botany.bel, that was great!

Oooops...you're right Bingley... The size of your fig leaf is the stuff of history. Well now, I feel sure that our Mr. B. surely has a wide variety...

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
bel says, "Men are sooo sensitive about their botany."

bel, according to my dictionary the word "about" can mean either:
a) in the immediate vicinity of;
b) with regard to.

In which sense were you using that word?

May I adjudge from context that you were using the first sense (as your main reference concerned biology rather than psychology)?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
May I adjudge from context that you were using the first sense (as your main reference concerned biology rather than psychology)?
No, no, Keiva, she said botany.

#41927 09/22/01 04:03 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
(1) Jackie, this can be resolved only with bel's participation.
That is, you cannot hope to win a "no-bel peace prize". Who, after all, is "in the soup"?

(2) Substantively: since botany=plants (not animals), we must conclude that as to botany, men haven't gotany.
So when bel said, "Men are sooo sensitive about their botany," she had the wrong scientific term, which I corrected.

The more-primary definition of "about" is the first one I cited, further suggesting that bel's comment concerned male biology, rather than male psychology. But bel must clarify this, if she wishes we men to respond properly.

enthusiast
enthusiast
homosexual marriages

A question about this just occurred to me: Does one party in a homosexual marriage take the last name of the other, or do they both keep their original names? Or do they hyphenate them?

#41929 09/22/01 05:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well rather than talking about botany or zoology,Bel could have been on about biology, more specifically about symbiotic relationships.. and in this case, men might well be concerned about their botany.

and while we're on the subject, aren't Fig trees botanically related to rubber trees?

#41930 09/22/01 05:48 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
while we're on the subject, aren't Fig trees botanically related to rubber trees?

Now stop that, Helen. My sides are splitting!

note: blue color chosen on purpose.

#41931 09/22/01 06:20 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
aren't Fig trees botanically related to rubber trees?

Helen, that is absolutely great. Bravo, bravo, clap, clap, clap, clap.

Oh wait, sorry, sorry, if you have rubber you don't get the clap.

Now, do we ladies HAVE to exlain all this stuff to you gents, who are evidently having a little trouble over the inuendo flying back and forth. Whoosh, right over their little heads heh ladies?

(snicker snicker, little heads, snicker)

#41932 09/22/01 06:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I dunno, i don't think its their little heads that are really causing the problems- unless it's a problem with a vascular disease that has some how impeeded the flow of blood to the head they are supposed to be able to think with.

oh wait, that does really clear things up, does it?

#41933 09/22/01 06:39 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
of Troy: aren't Fig trees botanically related to rubber trees?
wow: My sides are splitting!

Is it coincidental, my dears, that your two posts were near-simultaneous with bel's post, in another thread, concerning unplanned pregnancies?

#41934 09/22/01 06:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
so what your point Keiva, do you think it is a conspiracy?

or are you afraid that great minds think alike and biology being destiny and all that, feel le(a)ft out..

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
feel left out? Not at all, dears, as bel, and old hand herself, specifically invited me to join her for drinks. I am an enthusiast, and you can anticipate I will participate, however you dissipate.

anatomy being destiny and all that
Agreed -- and you may note that the psychological texts include no such term as venus envy.

women of the world, united (bel, Jackie, of troy, and wow)
Ladies (a term used advisedly), as a well-respected, upstanding member of my community, I simply do not do that. At least one of you four will have to leave.

G
stranger
stranger
G
I remember being taught "mothers-in-law" and "trades union" (and also "courts martial") as correct English (although I've never had call to use any of them). Along similar lines does anyone have an opinion on what is the accepted plural of "son of a gun" (and the obvious alternative)? What I was taught suggests "Sons of a gun", but common-sense dictates this can't be right - it would have to be "Sons of guns" because the "guns" would be different...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
upstanding member
That's it, I'm outta here. CK, may I borrow your tent?
==========================================================
Goatboy (I am very curious as to how you came by that name, by the way), you're giving me a headache with your sons of guns. Try thinking of the expression as son-of-a-gun--that should clear things right up.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That's it, I'm outta here. CK, may I borrow your tent?

Well, I'll have to ask it, but I don't think it has anything on this weekend ...

Nope, it's free. All yours. Come and get it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nope, it's free. All yours. Come and get it.
Thanks, Sweetie! (whew) On my way.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<(although I've never had call to use any of them)

As in, "I was speaking to my mothers-in-law"?

courts martial -- courts marital

trades union -- I've always heard trade union/trade unions; on no information and belief, I would guess trades union was singular and the plural 'trades unions'.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Sorry, Jo, but while the construction of "mother-in-law" is a noun modified by an adjective ...

Funny, I don't remember having a view on this, is my memory really that bad?

By the way, you are f-a-r from safe in Wellingborough, I am a great traveller you know and I have a very good information network. You will, like TEd, have to warm the teapot. Be warned.

D
addict
addict
D
I'd be inclined to agree with Goatboy and go for sons of guns. The only similar example which springs to mind is son of a b**** which became sons of b****es in the movie "O brother, where art thou?" (Not that I necessarily believe this to be an optimal source of information)

And I managed to avoid any sexual innuendo. Except maybe inclined. And springs. Damn you people.

B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

The size of your fig leaf is the stuff of history.

Just so long as it is understood that while it may be making history, it is not history yet.

Bingley

Bingley
R
addict
addict
R
out-laws for in-laws

I have heard the phrase out-laws (for in-laws) and even parents-out-law fairly often, but it is usually applied to parents of the partner in a long standing but non-legalised partnership. Which leads to me to the word question, why are parents of a spouse in-law? Are there, or were there once upon a time, rights and responsibilities, bestowed by this relationship? Inheritance, rights of succession and wardship for child brides are areas that spring to mind as possibilities.

B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
I think the idea is that in (canon?) law your e.g. parents-in-law have the same relationship to you as your own parents for the rules about who you can and can't marry (after your spouse and theirs have died of course).

Bingley

Bingley
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<I think the idea is that in (canon?) law your e.g. parents-in-law have the same relationship to you as your own parents for the rules about who you can and can't marry..

YOU MEAN I CAN'T MARRY MY MOTHER-IN-LAW???!!!!!

R
addict
addict
R
Men are sooo sensitive about their botany.
whereas women are sooo sensitive about their bottomy!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Coo coo ca choo.

TEd
B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

YOU MEAN I CAN'T MARRY MY MOTHER-IN-LAW???!!!!!

According to the Oxford Dictionary of Law, this has been possible in England since 1986, provided that both your wife and her father are dead. Divorce doesn't count for these purposes. A priest can refuse to marry you and your mother-in-law but you can have a civil marriage.

Bingley

Bingley
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
but you can have a civil marriage

which is more than can be said for many wives *EG*

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
civil marriage
Then does the term "Sybil marriage" refer to bigamy, or rather to the marriage (which of-troy suggested is ideal) in which he'll never see-'er?

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<A priest can refuse to marry you

Bless you, Bingley! Let me see if I understand you aright; a priest can refuse to marry me, but my mother-in-law cannot?

B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

Then does the term "Sybil marriage" refer to bigamy, or rather to the marriage (which of-troy suggested is ideal) in which he'll never see-'er?

BA-SIL

Bingley

Bingley
B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

a priest can refuse to marry me, but my mother-in-law cannot?

No,no. A priest can refuse to marry both of you.

Bingley

Bingley
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
A priest can refuse to marry both of you.
Bingley, if I take your sense aright,
A priest, being celibate, would refuse to marry each of you.
To marry both would be bigamy.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And you know none of us here would ever go in for any of that, right? It's cereal marriage, or no marriage at all.

#41957 10/24/01 01:52 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Rod, I've never researched whether there is any peculiar legal issue underlying the "[fill in the relative]-in-law" designation, but I've always thought that the in-law designation served to distinguish one's relatives by marriage from one's relatives by birth just as a matter of normal social interaction. You biological parents are your parents-in-fact, while your parents by marriage are your parents-in-law.

The same distinction is usually unstated but legally important regarding attorneys-at-law and attorneys-in-fact. A lay person who is specifically granted the power of attorney by his principal is an attorney-in-fact, while one with the authority to represent and act for another by operation of law is an attorney-at-law.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
This discussion of relations brings to mind something interesting which I encounted the other day. Chinese has two different words for "sister-in-law"; one for "wife's older sister" and a different word for "wife's younger sister". Although the article I read didn't say so, I would presume the same applies to brothers-in-law. I am also aware that in a good many languages there are different words for "aunt/uncle on the mother's side" and "aunt/uncle on the father's side" and that there are, even in English, different words for different kinds of cousins. (Cousin-german comes to mind.)

Does this indicate that we English speakers are not as concerned with the niceties of family relationships as other people who need such terms because the intricacies of the family are important? I would imagine that the two different words in Chinese reflect that culture's old-time acknowledgement of rank and position in families as well as in other relationships.

I also have wondered that English has a single term to describe both a person who is your husband's brother and a person who is your sister's husband. I suspect that a number of other cultures have distinct terms for these relationships. I recall reading a piece on the development of small children which noted that Japanese children, who are raised in a culture which places a much greater emphasis on family relationships than does the American culture, are taught the various designations for people at a young age, while American children are learning the names of things.

C
C
I detect 'leaf-envy' here, don't I?

#41960 10/27/01 12:13 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wordwind: THANK YOU!
Holy cow, folks, a question has actually been answered! And it wasn't even in Q & Comments...

#41962 10/28/01 12:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sparteye commented The same distinction is usually unstated but legally important regarding attorneys-at-law and attorneys-in-fact. A lay person who is specifically granted the power of attorney by his principal is an attorney-in-fact, while one with the authority to represent and act for another by operation of law is an attorney-at-law.

Thanks for that. I have often (idly) wondered why the term "attorney-at-law" is used in the US. I haven't seen it used anywhere else. Too lazy to look it up, of course.

It makes perfect sense now that you mention it. I have held the power of attorney myself in the past, but never associated it with the other meaning of attorney like that!

Ta!

#41963 10/29/01 09:09 AM
B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
So, if I give an attorney-at-law a power of attorney to perform a specific action for me rather than generally represent me, does that make him or her an attorney-in-fact?

Bingley

Bingley
#41964 03/31/02 12:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Poor Bing, no one ever answered your last question. Any takers?

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear consuelo: Here is a URL for State of Alaskabout attorney-in-fact.

http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/Statutes/Title47/Chapter30/Section952.htm

Now all Bingley needs is an attorney to explain it to him, and tell him if it is applicable to the jurisdiction in which he resides.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 471 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith