Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And you know none of us here would ever go in for any of that, right? It's cereal marriage, or no marriage at all.

#41957 10/24/01 01:52 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Rod, I've never researched whether there is any peculiar legal issue underlying the "[fill in the relative]-in-law" designation, but I've always thought that the in-law designation served to distinguish one's relatives by marriage from one's relatives by birth just as a matter of normal social interaction. You biological parents are your parents-in-fact, while your parents by marriage are your parents-in-law.

The same distinction is usually unstated but legally important regarding attorneys-at-law and attorneys-in-fact. A lay person who is specifically granted the power of attorney by his principal is an attorney-in-fact, while one with the authority to represent and act for another by operation of law is an attorney-at-law.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
This discussion of relations brings to mind something interesting which I encounted the other day. Chinese has two different words for "sister-in-law"; one for "wife's older sister" and a different word for "wife's younger sister". Although the article I read didn't say so, I would presume the same applies to brothers-in-law. I am also aware that in a good many languages there are different words for "aunt/uncle on the mother's side" and "aunt/uncle on the father's side" and that there are, even in English, different words for different kinds of cousins. (Cousin-german comes to mind.)

Does this indicate that we English speakers are not as concerned with the niceties of family relationships as other people who need such terms because the intricacies of the family are important? I would imagine that the two different words in Chinese reflect that culture's old-time acknowledgement of rank and position in families as well as in other relationships.

I also have wondered that English has a single term to describe both a person who is your husband's brother and a person who is your sister's husband. I suspect that a number of other cultures have distinct terms for these relationships. I recall reading a piece on the development of small children which noted that Japanese children, who are raised in a culture which places a much greater emphasis on family relationships than does the American culture, are taught the various designations for people at a young age, while American children are learning the names of things.

C
C
I detect 'leaf-envy' here, don't I?

#41960 10/27/01 12:13 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wordwind: THANK YOU!
Holy cow, folks, a question has actually been answered! And it wasn't even in Q & Comments...

#41962 10/28/01 12:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sparteye commented The same distinction is usually unstated but legally important regarding attorneys-at-law and attorneys-in-fact. A lay person who is specifically granted the power of attorney by his principal is an attorney-in-fact, while one with the authority to represent and act for another by operation of law is an attorney-at-law.

Thanks for that. I have often (idly) wondered why the term "attorney-at-law" is used in the US. I haven't seen it used anywhere else. Too lazy to look it up, of course.

It makes perfect sense now that you mention it. I have held the power of attorney myself in the past, but never associated it with the other meaning of attorney like that!

Ta!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#41963 10/29/01 09:09 AM
B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
So, if I give an attorney-at-law a power of attorney to perform a specific action for me rather than generally represent me, does that make him or her an attorney-in-fact?

Bingley

Bingley
#41964 03/31/02 12:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Poor Bing, no one ever answered your last question. Any takers?

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear consuelo: Here is a URL for State of Alaskabout attorney-in-fact.

http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/Statutes/Title47/Chapter30/Section952.htm

Now all Bingley needs is an attorney to explain it to him, and tell him if it is applicable to the jurisdiction in which he resides.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith