Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
#41351 09/14/01 09:55 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
If you wake up with any optimism in your hearts, you might like to look at pictures from my hometown.

http://www.rebuilding-manchester.co.uk/photos/

It was "only" a building that was bombed and thankfully no-one lost their life, although livelihoods were affected for many. I'm not sure if the hope for the future of the city is misplaced but I know that people are doing their best as I see those in New York trying to pick through the ashes.

#41352 09/14/01 10:37 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I just got this from Capital Kiwi (thanks, friend):
...at the changing of the guard at Buck House yesterday the band played the AMERICAN national anthem as a mark of respect and tribute. It's the first time EVER that the band didn't play God Save The Queen.

#41353 09/14/01 10:40 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#41354 09/14/01 11:25 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, Max--my tears are streaming...thank you for posting that.

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
This from where I was born:

A BBC correspondent in the city says she saw two people killed with machetes by people shouting "Allahu Akbar" (God is great).

Just a couple of the 500 deaths this week from god-fearing Christians and Muslims.

In February 2000, more than 2,000 people were killed in religious unrest in Kaduna, and some 450 more Nigerians died in reprisals in the south-east of the country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/africa/newsid_1541000/1541901.stm

#41356 09/14/01 02:20 PM
R
addict
addict
R
and the UK had 3 minutes silence today (as presumably did most of Europe), which was widely honoured. Even our local buses stopped where they were.
We all know people who have friends, colleages, and even relatives caught up in the horror. My daughter is in financial recruitment and has arranged jobs in WTC for several clients. Some she has heard from, some not. IBM had an employee on one of the planes, and the daughter of an employee on another. The hideous anonymous numbers are becoming more personal as the stories come through.
The list of countries with victims is large.
Even Sweden has made a firm statement about committing its resources, unusual considering its solid previous neutrality.

Our hearts you have, and now some promises. For what, we don't know yet.

#41357 09/14/01 02:28 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
at the changing of the guard at Buck House yesterday the band played the AMERICAN national anthem as a mark of respect and tribute. It's the first time EVER that the band didn't play God Save The Queen.

This was done (according to what I heard on TV) at the personal request and direction of the Queen.
There are no words to express ...

#41358 09/14/01 02:52 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The outpouring of support and kindness from Nations around the world is deeply appreciated. Thank you all from this American.
Here is an Email I received three different versions of - some long, some short - which I have sent to every US name on my mailing list so some may have it already.

Americans! Show Unity Tonight at 7 p.m.

Tonight, Friday, Sept. 14, at 7 p.m. step out your door, stop your car, or step out of your establishment and light a candle, turn on a flashlight, flick on a lighter, if you are house-bound turn on outside lights, place a light in the window. We will show the world that Americans are strong and united together against terrorism.

Please pass this to everyone on your e-mail list.
Business people : spread the word to your neighbor businesses who may not have Email.

We need to reach everyone across the United States quickly

As this is written, the services at the National Cathedral in Washington D.C. are underway with President, all former Presidents and Vice Presidents attending, Army Orchestra and Navy Sea Chanty Chorus, Cathedral Choir. Watch TV if you can. It is heartening.

R
addict
addict
R
450 more Nigerians died
I witnessed the results of previous turmoil in Nigeria which led to the Biafran war, with refugee trains of people injured and corpses mutilated with machetes. I am all too painfully aware of man's inhumanity to other men, and the casualness with which it can be inflicted. But I have never managed to understand how people can make that terrible step.
I have also witnessed a terrorist (Basque or sympathiser) bomb in Germany; it was only by luck that no-one (including myself and family)was killed or seriously injured. Again, even if the attack was against the Spanish consulate, I fail to see how maiming innocent bystanders can further the cause driving these fanatics. But then I have never lived in an "occupied" country or considered myself at war. And I know war dehumanises us all.
If we knew more about the how and why, we might be able to find ways to resolve or lessen at least some of the conflicts. Some lessons might be learned from Northern Ireland. While no-one pretends that the Northern Ireland problem is solved, the worst excesses (on all sides) have diminished considerably, which has allowed some semblance of normal life to resume. But the enmity runs deep and the ambitions of the various sides are fundamentally incompatible, so we are not safe yet.
The Northern Ireland problem was not improved by ridding the province of all the terrorists, (that is almost impossible by military means and even the ones locked up are now back on the streets) but by showing that terrorism was unlikely to achieve their aims and by providing a political framework that might do so. There are other issues such as removing the active support base in the community, and making arms and money more difficult to obtain. This is a slow process which has to be coordinated on many fronts, political, social, economic, international, intelligence, and military. And sacred cows (including vengeance and justice) have to be compromised on the way.

#41360 09/14/01 03:10 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<no words can express...>>

but thanks, and thanks, and ever thanks

Because it must be said--and not because it need be directed at any member of this community--and said over and over again, as the images of the falling towers have been broadcast and rebroadcast, violence against Muslims such as has been reported, must be universally abhorred. I distinguish that maxim, in this case, from violent justice brought on criminals. But it is absolute. The compounding of tragedy, the multiplication of crimes against humanity, cannot be. We are better than that. We must be.

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith