About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wasn't sure where to go with this, but decided on W & F because I think more folks will see it here, and the more input the better. But I was thinking about recent discussions of newcomers and how difficult it is to peruse past posts. I also had PM correspondence with a friend who peeked-in on one of our stranger threads, and I wondered what would happen to someone who did that if they didn't know somebody on the board to coach them. I know when I first looked in I just perused some of the more recent threads for awhile. I still really haven't had the chance to go back and look over archival threads, and I wouldn't have a clue as to knowing which ones were the most worthwhile. So I had this idea: What if we all nominated say, three (3) threads, based on quality to formulate a sort of thread guide for newcomers we could post on the Information for Newcomers thread on I & A (and perhaps Max could put the thread list up on Awadabilia, his marvelous Website that everyone should visit. no charge for the plug, Max This would create a good introduction for "strangers" to peruse the best of what AWAD has seen, instead of jumping haphazardly into one of our weaker, weirder, or totally digressive threads, or popping into the middle of one of our non-typical friendly debates like some of the current threads on I & A (and, even if they do, they will still have this list of quality threads to peruse as counterpoint). I know I had fun with it, but if I had jumped into the middle of that Vixy thread, for instance, without knowing what was going on, I would have said, "These people are doing magic mushrooms on Mars! I'm outta here!"
Also, there are a lot of folks who have been around a lot longer than I have, and I could use the list to go back and peruse choice threads I missed. It would be nice to have a reference of recommendations to use for that.
It's getting late, so let me cut to the chase. I recommend we all select threads that jump out in our memories for us, that meet the critria of quality, but also contain the elements of humor, intriguing digression, and novel insight (among others) that keep these threads rich with that special interplay of knowledge and entertainment which makes AWAD such a unique and stimulating place. And in order to refrain from false modesty, I think, that additionally, everyone should be allowed to nominate two (2) of their own threads.
These are not just favorite threads, these should be chosen by careful consideration as a site guide for us all, really. An "AWAD's Greatest Hits" as it were.
For example, my first nomination is the "time on my hands" thread from Q & A which I'm sure will appear on many ballots. The other two I'll have to come back and edit-in after some thought. I recommend we all keep our picks on our original posts, as editing-in new choices will prevent the confusion of split posts. Reasons for the nominations can be supplied, I think, but not necessary. If a thread appears on, say, three ballots, then we can put it on a list for a full vote (this, of course, is open to discussion...see Jackie's reccommendation of no-voting that I respond to in my edit at the bottom here). And I don't think there should be any rush to a deadline here, although expedience would help new folks:

1. "time on my hands" Q & A 8/3/01 (Simply majestic!...what more can I say?)
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=35912
1. b. (a continuation) "TIME for a new thread, people" Q & A 8/19/01
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=37382
2. ?
3. ?

My own 2 nominated threads:

1. "a whole nother thread!???" Q & A 6/14/2001 (a spur of the moment post that surprisingly turned into a wonderful excursion into the confluence of sight and sound linguistics, at once educational and entertaining, and it even spawned one of those AWAD catch-phrases you see folks use from time to time)
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=30497

2. "A Couplet of Questions...??" Wordplay & Fun 7/13/01 (An offshoot of some other "Question" threads that were running at the time, it pulled us into a cool creative zone that was as much a challenge as a delight, and the poetic repartee never ceased to amaze me! Everyone who contributed here was at the peak of their powers, and sparkling all the way!)
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=wordplay&Number=33838

So there it is, folks...blame it on the full-moon or blame it on me...but what sayest the board? A good idea?
Maybe no? Maybe with revisions? (Perhaps we should have one thread to discuss this, and another just for the vote).
(edit -- Yes, Jackie, I was thinking that, perhaps, we could have faith in the integrity and sincerity of people's judgement in contributing to this endeavor, but then we might also have to reduce the number of selections? And yes, Chemeng, maybe we can post the page url next to each thread when the list is added to the "Info for Newcomers" on I & A.)

(edit) *I changed the subject from "Thread Award" to "Best Thread List" because it's not a competition or award by any means, simply a way to highlight our discourse at its best. I just included the following in a PM, and I think it can be adopted as a sort of "statement of purpose" here: "I hope the Best Thread List happens because I think it will be helpful to everybody, have a way of self-policing the integrity of the board, and let newcomers see the level of exchange that goes on here at our best moments (just in case they pop-in at our worst)." That's it, very simply in a nutshell.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh my goodness, WO'N--what a great idea! But--you're going to have to give me time to look back. I simply can't do it right now, but I know there have been many that I'd like to nominate.
I do have a suggestion, though, Sweet WO'N: since the point is to make things easier for newcomers, what do you think about just having the links posted right here in the board, rather than make them try and realize they need to take that extra step, just to get started?
I also am not sure we need to take a vote. I'm quite willing to accept peoples' judgement on what they thought was a good thread, and I'll bet we'd get more variety that way. Hmm?

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Speaking as someone who wasn't here to see those classics the first time around: I love that idea madly!

C
C
Wonderful. Now I want to peruse this 'Time' thread from 8/2000 - other than going back page by page and trying to find it....how do I get there?? My 'time' is too squeezed for such a manual search.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Search Procedure

Thought it would be convenient to post this here for those who don't know. To search, Chemeng, click on
"Search" on the menu at the top, change "Animal Safari" in the Forum to Search box to "All Forums," type in the name of the thread in Word to Search For, leave "Entire Phrase" in Search Options, and set Date range on "All Posts," and there you are!

J
old hand
old hand
J
Well, I suppose I'll stake out my spot here in the front row right now.

1. dunno yet
2. dunno yet
3. dunno yet

Couple of suggestions. I set the number of threads per page to 99 (the max) so I could browse the list of the threads more easily. I'm also putting the names of my possible choices and the links in a text document for future reference.

Might it also be a good idea for us to make a list of monumental occasions, like the threads from which the great YART and ayleur came? If you'd like to see baby jackie, baby tsuwm and baby jo, you can visit the thread that started the whole mess, 'graduation', at http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=441.

K, I'm done talking.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Allo Whitman

Chem is right, it would take time for a newcomer to find the threads we refer to. Jazz has the right idea by making the thread 'clickable' so person will get there automatically. If you are not sure how to do this send me a personal message. I'll explain the method.

Salut

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Jazzoctopus[>>>>
If you'd like to see baby jackie, baby tsuwm and baby jo, you can visit the thread that started the whole mess, 'graduation'

Jazzo, thanks for that blast from the past. You are so right, it does feel like looking at baby pictures!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
baby jackie

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
WO'N, I liked what you sent me as your reasons for starting this thread, and I copy them here with your permission:
I hope the Best Thread List happens because I think it will be helpful to everybody, have a way of self-policing the integrity of the board, and let newcomers see the level of exchange that goes on at our best moments (just in case they pop-in at one of our worst). That is the premise behind the proposal. You can copy and save that statement to show if anyone asks "why?" I also wish I ahd headed it "The Best Thread List" because it's really not a competition or award!

This isn't one of my favorite threads, but I think it's a good representative one:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=theme&Number=171

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith