OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Which, and why? Also, out or off?

#3972 07/11/00 09:47 AM
B
addict
addict
B
Jackie, you've had us all stumped on this one for a while now, and I'm not sure I have a great answer, but it's an EXCELLENT question.

I think (and this is like 'How do you pronounce often?' - as soon as someone asks me, I can't speak unconsciously and decide what I really do say) that I log 'on' to the Web / Internet and 'in' to the system / network at work.

Assuming this is true, I think the difference is:
- the Web / Internet are open systems without clear boundaries. As they don't have boundaries, I cannot be 'in' or 'out', so I go for 'on' and 'off'.
- the company network has a clear boundary. It is possible to be 'inside' this boundary and logging 'in' is the process whereby I get inside.

Now, this is all a bit hazy, and I suspect I use 'in' and 'on' about the company network, but I NEVER log 'in' to the web.

Not sure if that is more or less confusing than your original question?!?

#3973 07/11/00 02:51 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Ahem--er, um--
Well, Bridget, I suppose that did help a little bit!

What this computer illiterate was hoping to get was a
nice, clear, widely-accepted rule to go by.

Reckon there ain't one, re: this, anyhow.

Tsuwm, got any words of wisdom for me?
Or Jo? Both you people know your way 'round these babies!

#3974 07/11/00 04:57 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
I've always heard log on and off. Log in is used sometimes, but I don't think it's as common. Plus, this would explain why people are said to be online or offline in reference to a computer, and roller skates can be 'inline'.

#3975 07/12/00 08:28 AM
R
addict
addict
R
> Assuming this is true, I think the difference is:
- the Web / Internet are open systems without clear boundaries. As they don't have boundaries, I cannot be 'in' or 'out',
so I go for 'on' and 'off'.
- the company network has a clear boundary. It is possible to be 'inside' this boundary and logging 'in' is the process
whereby I get inside.

Excellent answer, Bridget. Just a few notes from this techie. A company network has a clear boundary within the company but this network may expand as a LAN outside the divisional department of a company to share other LANs with other departments of the same company or even other companies! This would broaden the boundary of the 'company' network whilst allowing you access with just your simple username and password. Then we would have to redefine this 'clear' boundary as being infinite or, at least, flexible.

The first computer network (non-military) was the Berkeley Unix network at Berkeley University. Users would log-in to the terminals with their usernames and passwords to carry out research work or programming. This is turn would allow them to log-on to the system to allow the transfer of information between their terminal and central servers and other users. That was in the '60s.

In today's parlance log-in can mean a number of things but the most common would be to gain access to your PC or terminal by way of a unique identifier. This grants you user privileges for that machine and access to any software that has been made available to you such as a web browser or email. Logging in is done only once and lasts until the session is finished (log-out) or the PC is shut down.

Logging-on takes place when one accesses a network or activates a session within one of the available software applications. The session can be temporary and does not affect the overall running of your computer. It may (or may not) be private but involves your identity (or nom-de-plume) being made available to all other users. Unix systems work in this way (see above).

I could continue in this vein for quite a long time but I can picture Jackie getting apoplexy so I'll leave it at that. I think everyone's got the gist of it.

For those of you who work from home you log-in to your ISP (AOL etc.) and you log-on to AWAD. Logging-off from AWAD does not affect your network connection BUT logging out of AOL does! and you lose your AWAD connection. QED.

#3976 07/12/00 11:23 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
'Brick--
Thanks! This is just what I was looking for! Good to see
you back, Bubba! Missed you!
Boy, one measly little rant...am I marked for life?? I did,
barely, manage to follow the circuit of your explanation. There are two major things that normally give me apoplexy: slow drivers, many of whom have a good excuse, and when people say things that cause others to feel bad, for which in my book there is no excuse, including ignorance!

#3977 07/12/00 10:48 PM
J
J
Maybe you log on using your log in? And then just log off (not out) of the system. Only prescriptive use will really establish an accepted form.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith