About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#3853 02/02/01 08:27 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'm digging through the old threads, and I rather liked the idea of this one, so here it is again, everybody. All you other pledges can add to this, too.

From my office, I see the buildings across the concrete canyon from mine. One is a 1920s limestone with classic lines, and another is a modernish brick-and-glass with a nod to deco. Street level is ten stories down.

From my home, I see woods, filled with oak, larch and wild cherry, and grape vines; meadow, full of wildflowers and raspberry brambles, and populated with groundhog, rabbit, deer, skunk, all kinds of reptiles and amphibians, and our dog; and our yard, with children's toys and swings. Also, at this time of year, a covered up pool, and lots and lots of snow. There are feeders on the decks, and we have visits (depending on the time of year) from red bellied woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, cardinals, blue jays, blue birds, hummingbirds, mourning doves, grackles, red winged blackbirds, orioles, house finches, goldfinches, phoebes, chickadees, house sparrows, chipping sparrows, purple finches, grosbeaks, and others I am sure I am forgetting. A pair of redtailed hawks hunt our meadow. Blue herons hunt the adjacent ponds.

#3854 02/02/01 09:15 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Right now it's a snowy view broken by the wood fence that encloses my back yard where little "Pearl" (a 13-year-old Bichon Frise) loves to frolic. The fence is turning a lovely driftwood grey, finally. I have a family of squirrels that are endlessly amusing and who chatter at Pearl as she tries to catch them. Then, each in its season, birds flit by. In front of the big window I have a whirling windsock to keep birds from flying into the glass after they feast on the berry-laden bushes that are available even in the cold. In another few months I will have snowdrops and violets and brave dandelions poking their heads up. There is a big wooden tub that I will plant with flowers for summer. The wall with the window borders the path to my front door so I have a view of anyone arriving. It's a pleasant prospect.
wow

#3855 02/02/01 09:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I see the beautiful Pacific Ocean, framed by pink, red, white and lavender geraniums which i have placed in hanging baskets across the expanse of my rear balcony. I can see, as well as hear, an eclectic orchestra of windchimes, with the dominant voice being the hollow melancholy sounds resonating from the Hawaiian bamboo. The trees are all in gentle motion thanks to the welcome arrival of some warm winds, and the sun is shining brightly.

And in case i ever forget, there's a sign above my window that reminds me it's just "Another Day In Paradise".

bridget=)

Ipsa scientia potestas est ~Bacon

#3856 02/02/01 10:23 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I'd like to stick my neck out, and offer my opinion that what Emanuela wanted was more information about our background, special fields, tastes and interests. I think her remark about what we could see out of window was an afterthough, almost an apology for asking for personal details that might help her know what messages might be appropriate. My own bio is skimpy because my qualifications for participion here are not very impressive, and I didn't have clear idea how to present myself in acceptable way. Perhaps a lot of us are modest in an unhelpful way. Bill Hunt

#3857 02/02/01 10:52 PM
B
B
Outside window is a pinic table that 3/4 or the year students etc have meetings at while looking out at the binary sculpture & ugly box style lab building. At the moment it's after sundown, because of our wierd windows if any one was out there they can see me & I can only see the shimmer of the ice & snow in the quad & lights on the cars heading in & out of the parking lots. It just about student shift change. We seem to be always open

CJ

CJ
#3858 02/02/01 11:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My office, being in the middle of an industrial corridor, offers very little : a distant church bell tower (on the other side of the river) sticking up past a single story warehouse... out the back door window is a view of a beautiful older style Chicago public school building (about a half a block away) which is blocked by wires: cable tv, old telephone, new optical fibre, 110 and 220 services, three phase 220...

My house looks at a typical city street scene with blocks of 25x125foot lots of various house styles. Summer is good with trees as every fourth house lot on average has one... A lot of Norway Maples (climate demands), the Elms are all but gone (Dutch elm disease about 20 yrs ago) an occasional Willow or Oak and a number of Douglas Fir and Evergreen... the wildlife is very active here, Grey Squirrels, Robins, Woodpeckers, Sparrows, Norway Rats (it's a Scandanavian neighborhood), Lots of loud BlackBirds (huge ones), Pigeons, Yellow Jackets, Monarch Butterflies (getting rarer), a pack of wild roaming dogs that clearly someone feeds (every city should have one), fire flies, crickets, and mosquitoes... and then, of course, the people!

A Paradise as well!

#3859 02/04/01 02:18 AM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Well, I liked your idea and so before I began, I checked out your profile and I think it is so beautiful and interesting that somehow no matter what I write it will seem dull. But anyway--we live on a hill and I can see the valley below and the hills on the other side----a span of 5 miles----in the valley are train track, a bike trail, a brick plant and a pond. And many many trees. Behind our house our backyard slopes upward and continues upward through the woods were there are trails for hiking and biking and a trickling waterfall where my sons and I have explored many times before they became teenagers. Now everything is white and frozen--but the small pond is perfect for ice skating and moonlight bon fires---which we used to do---but well--those days are gone too. Replaced with weekends spent in the wood shop or in the garage working on engines etc

enthusiast

enthusiast
#3860 02/06/01 03:50 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
My computer is in my office, not at home. My office is on the northwestern edge of Baltimore, about a mile from the main headquarters of the Social Security Administration, (most people are surprised to find that the SSA HQ is not in Washington) which is in a complex of large, modernistic office buildings and large parking area (there are about 15,000 employes). But that mile makes a huge difference. My office windows look out over a public park which is kept in its wild, natural state -- there is only road through it, no man-made structures except a couple bridges over the stream which runs through it, and a nature trail for hiking. At the moment, it's not much to look at, since most of the trees are deciduous and they are bare; but depending on the weather, they will start turning green by early April, they'll be fully green by mid-May, and glorious in the fall. The only downside of being by the park is that since it's so wild, it's a popular place to dispose of inconvenient corpses; at least 2 or 3 times a year, hikers find a dead body, hence, people tend to avoid the park and the area surrounding it. That's fine by me.

#3861 02/06/01 05:25 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Looking out my window right now (forced to lean a little bit, as I'm in cubicle-land) I see the sun reflecting off San Francisco Bay, which extends 30-40 miles south from where I'm sitting in SF, with Pacific Bell Park (the new baseball stadium) and a number of old ships (big grey merchant-marine types - the engine room of one was used to film the engine room scenes in Titanic) tied up in the foreground. I'm trying to enjoy the view while I can, as I also see lots of cranes, building lots of news buildings, spurred on by all the mad growth of this internet thingie I keep hearing about.

#3862 02/07/01 10:50 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
When I looka ahead, all I can see is a wall with a clock. Which is quite good as I work at home and can be easily distracted. To my right is a window at half-basement level which looks up at my garden. There is vinca major variegata http://www.nats-nursery.com/gc/vgreat.htm tumbling over the low wall, like a fountain. I'm looking forward to it flowering in spring, when I will have a wall of blue flowers. There is also a fatsia japonica, holding its own against the recent short-lived snow http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Araliaceae/Fatsia_japonica.html. Less successful is a corylus avellana contorta which may not have enough space http://www.bluemts.com.au/MountTomah/weeklyplant/1999/aug99/hazel1.htm as it may be too close to a lonicera periclymenum "serotina" http://rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/vines/honeysuckle.html and a cordyline australis http://gardens.co.nz/plantoftheweek/Cordyline.htm

In other words I can see a periwinkle, a Japanese aralia, a corkscrew hazel (Harry Lauder's walking stick) a honeysuckle and a cabbage tree from New Zealand!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith