Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
"Captain Corelli's Mandolin" has been changed to "Corelli's Mandolin"
Are you sure about that? I've only seen it with the Captain part.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
That's the title it's arrived here under. I'll check again where it was published. The copy I was given in the UK a couple of Christmases ago was "Captain Corelli's Mandolin."

Bingley

Bingley
#38107 08/15/01 12:31 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
My book is called "Corelli's Mandolin" while the movie is called "Captain Corelli's Mandolin". My book was a gift from a friend, and I think they got it from some US website, although I'm not sure.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I mentioned this long time ago -- I had a friend get me a copy in London and title was "Captain Corelli's Mandolin." Later, raving about the book to my Librarian she said "We have that only here it's 'Corelli's Mandolin'!" So there you go. All this talk about differences makes me think I should borrow the library's US copy and check .... nah!

addict
addict
Bean, I do the same. I work in metric, but I use imperial "measure exaggerations" freely, without even knowing how much they amount to! At the end of the day, I have only a vague idea how long a mile or a foot is. Fortunately, the new "European" Britain has had to turn bi-measural, so I can manage just fine. My British friends get all miffed about it, claiming that since I am in Britain I should learn to measure in imperial! Well, they can sit around and wait a bit longer for that to happen...

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Don't worry about it Marianna! We really are increasingly bi-metric, to the extent that when I am buying wood, it is usually "3 metres of 4 inch by two inch," or some such blend. My wife buys curtain material by the metre, but its width is still measured in inches.

I am told, BTW, and I have no idea of the truth of this, that the construction industry in Scandinavia finds that the metre is an inconvenient measure, so have invented a measure which is one third of that length - in other words, about the same length as the imperial foot.

The secret lies, I guess, in the fact that the old measures were based on human activity and human dimensions, so fit humans well. For instance, the League (as in "seven-league boots") was the distance that a man and pack horse could walk in one hour, therefore varied in linear distance from one terrain to another. (In the fairy tales, of course, the person with seven-league boots could complete a day's journey in one step!) It has died out, I suppose, because we no longer need that sort of measure - it is a matter of how many miles we do in an hour rather than hours to complete a mile!

But metric measurements are based on an estimate of the world's circumference made in the 1790s! What sort of basis is that, I ask you!

#38111 08/16/01 12:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It has died out, I suppose, because we no longer need that sort of measure - it is a matter of how many miles we do in an hour rather than hours to complete a mile!

But metric measurements are based on an estimate of the world's circumference made in the 1790s! What sort of basis is that, I ask you!

Ah, yes--change: further evidence that (linear) time has passed! [naughtily cross-threading e]

#38112 08/16/01 02:07 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
My "measure" is my open hand . I know that it is 20 centimeters, and I often measure everything around me in this way - tables, furniture, public bathrooms...
In fact, I am very interested in
- how small you can build a comfortable house
- which are the correct measures for ergonomic pieces of furniture .

#38113 08/16/01 05:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a US dollar bill is 6 inches long (actually 6 1/8 inches) but close enough for a rough measurment.
as for
which are the correct measures for ergonomic pieces of furniture --
until human come in one size-- how can any one size be ergnomic?
my parents are very short-- (Father 5.1, mother 5.2)-- and they often had problems buying furnature. Dining room chairs were often too high for them.. and couches were too deep..

of course, those of us who are normal sizes (or at least normal height) found their furniture way too low, and too shallow.. My favorite chair as child was our wing chair-- i didn't feel like my knees were in my chin when i sat in it.. my mother hated that chair-- when she sat in it, her feet didn't touch the floor!

the japanese, seem to have mastered small living spaces.. and one trick they sometimes use, is high ceilings..

big spaces, with low ceiling seem cramped. -- the NYC subway has some.. ceiling heights of just over 2 meters, so that very tall people feel they have to crouch. and even though there is a lot of area, the low ceiling is very uncomfortable.. even for me, and i am in no danger of hitting my head on the ceiling.

#38114 08/16/01 05:58 PM
H
addict
addict
H

Some while back, I read a story, only vaguely remembered, about a town in England that had posted their speed limit signs in km/hr. When asked if this meant that England was at long last converting to the metric system, somebody (local official, mayhap? the Queen?) is reputed to have said "Do you honestly think we'll ever adopt a measurement system invented by a people that have to say 'three twenties and seventeen' for 77?"

But the way weight and volume correspond in the metric system sure is useful and cool. Makes it easier to guess how much my hot tub weighs when full, which is very important, for reasons I'll not go into here.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 739 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith