About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#37275 08/02/01 12:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
if he has produced a "spoof" paper, it is very good.

Just the idea of "Social Psychology" sets *me off into a fit of English schoolboy giggles.

#37276 08/02/01 12:42 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I went up a directory and found a few better examples of humor. We've got creative minds in the house. We could do as good or better on the "Chicken crossing the road" list.

http://www.stanford.edu/~quatro/humor/chicken.html

#37277 08/02/01 03:40 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
In reply to:

So long as there is more fun than pain, we are fine.

So true, Helen. Probably most of the funniest things I have seen/heard involve the infliction of some degree of pain. Last night my wife was channel surfing and landed on a rerun of "The Honeymooners". We watched it and bellowed with laughter, I mostly at Jackie Gleason's visual reactions to Norton. Gleason was a genius at this and his face runs the gamut of all possible emotions, and I have yet to figure out how he got his eyes to bulge out when it was appropriate. (Those shows were done live and kinescoped, so he did it on the fly.) We commented on how amazing it is that these programs are still hilarious after 40 years even in grainy b&w. And yet, Ralph Kramden was really an egotistical and inconsiderate character, to the point of cruelty, although he generally repented in the end, thanks usually to Alice.

Humor that is purely verbal is never, to me, as funny as something with the full spectrum of reactive possibility, including visuals. Groucho's snappy quips with Margaret Dumont, or with Chico and Harpo, are amusing to be sure, but nowhere near as hilarious as that great classic the stateroom scene, or funnier yet, the scene on the opera stage when Harpo, dressed up like Azucena, is being pursued on- and backstage by the police. (Makes me chuckle just thinking about it.) And for a combination of words and action which has my vote for the funniest scene of all time in a movie, there is the one with Insp. Clouseau and the innkeeper which begins, "Does your dog bite?" This involves some pain, since the dog does bite Clouseau. Well, anyway, I trust you get my point, and I hope we get a laugh.

BTW, FWIW, with this posting I expect to kick addiction. At last.

#37278 08/02/01 03:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Congratulations, Bob! With love.

#37279 08/02/01 04:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i just re-watched Night at the Opera, and a Day at the Races, too (PBS had them on as a double feature one night)

the marx brothers comedies are hilarious, but my favorite all time funny scene is from cheech and chongs "going up in smoke" when chong is in the back of the van- with a chick who is talking about a sexual experience-- and chong is pretty much ignoring her- he has a cramp in his leg, and starts pounding it, harder and harder to get rid of the "pins and needles" sensation.. the camera plays back and forth between what is really happening in side the van, ( two dull conversations) and what is perceived to be happening by those outside the van( wild sex)..

a good deal of humor is the sense of being "out of place" -- this can be as the essay suggests, when one group looks at another as being lower, and mocks them, or it can just be like the state room scene- there is not a single funny line-- just way too many people "out of place" . No single person does or says anything funny--in fact they all just try to go about their business.. all 20 of them in a 6 by 10 stateroom (on a boat).

#37280 08/02/01 06:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
some of those were *hilarious*, brandon! thanks for the link.

i liked the hemingway one best [still chuckling]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith