Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#36797 07/29/01 11:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
WO'N,
Thanks. And here you go, for the benefit of others: ... in my own pathetic wry way, I try.

btw, your PM isn't working??!!

B
Brandon Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
B

Thanks for the link, Jackie. When posting questions, I usually check the archives about half the time. I'd better make it all the time from now on. After rereading the old messages, I'm surprised at how few of the current regulars are listed there.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When posting questions, I usually check the archives about half the time. I'd better make it all the time from now on.

Not to worry, Sweetie. It's often interesting to see what newer people have to say. But this particular one struck a chord, in that at the time, we lamented loudly over how that thread was going on, and on, and on.
Thinking of some threads since then, I got quite a laugh, remembering our lamentations! Chee, we didn't know we had it so good!

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
When I first joined the board, over a period of a few weeks I trawled back through the whole of the archive (mind, it twarnt so big then!) and I remembered this thread, Jackie. But my searches drew a blank - think I searched only on 'begs' +the question. Thanks for disinterring it for disinterested parties

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I think that the "Yart" concept stinks. If some newcomer wants to post about something that was discussed six months ago, I don't think they ought to have to go way back and read all the old crap. The oldtimers can simply ignore it. There are not enough new posts as is, why discourage any of the newcomers? I still resent bitterly being told to look up "ayleurs" and spending two hours on it, and it sure as hell was not worth it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dr. Bill, I think a YART it is as "stinky" as the herein emoticons constricting our verbal sensibilities into certain boundries. It is useless without a link pointing out the *issue... almost like copying a whole post to respond the same way to a different question.

Like mav, I did spend my first few weeks here digging into the complete (much shorter) history of the people and posts available... because I believed pesonalities were valuable enough (I was correct IMHO) to take the time to *attempt to taste. A YART is just one of the (limited) flavors that life offers in this vein.

I remember asking IP to dig deeper into the history of posts... not to criticize (like I have any propensity for that) but to open to him what I thought at the time was a necessary insight into the people he was "conversing" with... YARTing may be the "call" but not the intent...(for me, that is).

It certainly helps when Pooh-bahs, who clearly know, lend a hand... invisible or not.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>I think that the "Yart" concept stinks.

and that, itself, is a yart, bill. and I hate this feeling that I need to defend my coinage -- but the concept is (of course) a two-edged sword. it can be used (per jackie) to inform that something interesting or amusing exists, or it can be used in exasperation. i'm sure it has been used both ways. [shrugs]

#36804 07/29/01 08:53 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
scathing, even scatalogical, terms...

Geez, Max, wha'd I miss?!

B
old hand
old hand
B
Max demands : Lighten up guys!

I've already had my say on this sore point, so I'll be brief. Yart related ribbing is fine for regulars (trying to avoid being scatological), but many a fresh 'maverick' has not returned due to the 'light-hearted' derision achieved through innocently asking a question - this is undeniable.

Anyway, here's another thread about 'begging the question' for Brandon:

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=13000

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith