About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#36688 08/01/01 01:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well an american liberal is a middle of the roader in almost any other country. and an american conservative isn't as right wing as some countries..

I would tend to agree, that large media companies in US tend to be liberal.. but they also self censor.. for fear of being sued, or what ever. And there have been erosions of the first amendment. - and there are constant assaults on it (first amendment guarantees freedom of speak, communications among other things) but we still tend to have a very open press/media/communications industry.

and as I recall, as Murdoch assembled his US empire, he had to give up Aussie citizenship and become one of us– since one law we do have is we do try to keep mass media out of foreign hands.. And TV/radio frequencies franchise are limited to US citizens/companies. There are cable channels that are international– and different news organization buy time. So late Saturday night, you can catch up on the news in Japan.

We have no problems with letting in foreign press– and in NY, you can readily buy almost every major european paper, and many other countries as well, if you go to the right neighborhood– so the Irish Times is available in some areas of the Bronx, and in Queens more readily than Manhattan, and you can get Columbian news, Filipino news, hundreds of Indian newspapers.. And almost every national group has locally produced news papers and magazines.. And most major cities in US have a decent supply of foreign news paper/magazines available.. (At least Chicago, Atlanta, and Seattle, do, and it's a given that DC does.. )not to mention, internet access.

the real problems is US is so isolationist, we tend not to read international news.. and international news gets very poor coverage on TV.

#36689 08/03/01 11:41 AM
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
I thought about it for a few days, and decided that you Democrats can't impeach him for not holding office, because that would basically be admitting that he does.

#36690 08/03/01 12:50 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
jimthedog writes that you Democrats can't impeach him for not holding office, because that would basically be admitting that he does.

This basically creates the circular reasoning similar to the Protagoras v. Euathlus case mentioned elsewhere. Incidently, it is certainly one of my favorite legal and logical paradoxes.

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/psa/sec20.htm#A

Edit: I found, at that same site, an actual case where this Liar's Paradox played out in the courtroom (albeit 1946): http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/psa/sec20.htm#B

#36691 08/03/01 03:29 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
<<Ok, time for the defense to step in...Bush, so drop it.>>

One isn't in the Gore camp by virtue of not being in the Bush.

The issue was and is the Supreme Court, not the George who would be king. Their decision was a disaster for everyone, regardless of party affiliation. But we go blithely and blindly forward as though nothing happened. Every legitimation of the new Bush presidency is a legitimation of The Court's sabotage of our Constitution. It is this, and not the pretended stupidity of the man in the Oval Office I find so incredibly disturbing.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[tsuwm mode off]

please take the politics elsewhere, there are plenty of sites where y'all can have hissy-fits. and yes, inselpeter, you started it.

[/end out-of-character post]

#36693 08/03/01 07:18 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
but otoh (just to suggest a point that may not be obvious to USns in perticklier) it can be very interesting to hear internal accounts of your politics, for those of us around the globe. I think the problem steps to the line when hissy fits of a party nature predominate.

Let's just stay civilised, and not rule anything *completely beyond the bounds of discussion, eh?

... even The Truth

I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
<<you started it>>

True, and I tried to stop it, also. I was surprised, when I was able to get back here, just how many posts there are. But I think you're probably right.

IP

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I remain independent and apolitical. Labels are ludicrous and, I feel, have lost their meaning (i.e. Dem./Rep; Liberal/Conservative; Left/Right)...I simply speak out against whatever I believe to be a seen or perceived injustice on any particular issue, let the labels fall where they may! I could never be a Party Parrot. (And I agree with insel that the S.C. Shutdown and appointing of a Pres. was the worst of it all with serious Constitutional consequences for the future) And, yeah, we are here more for the words, so...words coined from politics:

Gerrymandering, filibuster, straw ballot, chad (oops, there I go again!) Add some, folks.

#36697 08/04/01 06:33 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith