About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#35655 07/18/01 04:44 AM
old hand
old hand
Some time ago, a Harvard English professor (or someone of similar stature who seems to get paid for doing these sorts of things) put together a treatise about how, technically, none of the citations in that song illustrated irony at all. The pithy & brilliant comment that I took away from it was "None of those qualify as irony - the best that any of them can be described is a bummer."

Go Harvard.

B
old hand
old hand
B
>A Harvard English professor

I think he is a tad overqualified to be studying poor Miss M.'s poetic botchery under a bright light.
Compared to some of the Eurotrash on offer here, Alanis really doesn't sound all that bad. You get these French hussies singing handbag house songs, in which a full sentences would be an odd change. Mind you, English is not their first language.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
handbag house songs
My, are you in the mood for unusual sayings today, or something? I've never heard this one, either. Care to elucidate?
By the way, thanks for pointing out that the irony song has nothing to do with irony--I hadn't really thought about it before, she said with one hand in her pocket.

B
old hand
old hand
B
handbag house songs

synonyms:
main-stream, commercial, widely-marketed, cheesy etc.

This can be used when refering to music produced for the masses. Its use (I assume) stems from the '70s custom of ladies putting their handbag in the middle of the dance floor and dancing round it. I of course, can only fall back on heresay concerning this practice, but it seems this was only common in places where very main-stream disco music was played (I guess things like EW&F, Donna Summer, Kool&theGang etc.). Anyone partake in, or view such a ceremony?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anyone partake in, or view such a ceremony?

I confess to having done this very thing in my misspent youth (though I'd never heard the term "handbag house song" before now). It was, however, more of a security precaution than any sort of wiccan ritual.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
the '70s custom of ladies putting their handbag in the middle of the dance floor and dancing round it

I've never even heard of that before. Where was I in the 70s? Lord knows I frequented plenty of bars, but apparently the wrong (or right?) kind.

#35661 07/19/01 02:24 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
handbag in the middle of the dance floor and dancing round it .....I've never even heard of that before. Where was I in the 70s?

I was raising two boys and working. Only time I got to a bar was if there was a dead body there - and I had to cover the story!Hi Sparteye

#35662 07/19/01 02:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
she wrote a song called ironic and the only ironic thing about it, is that the woman does not understand the meaning of the word.

Well, if she used the term contrary to its meaning isn't that irony? Or is it metairony?

Actually® US'ns does use irony. We just call it lying or stupidity.

#35663 07/19/01 03:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You were probably in the right ones, Sparteye. What I'm talking about are/were those huge booming disco palaces with the black lights and mirror balls. I'm glad I still have my auditory faculties.

#35664 07/20/01 10:19 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
she used the term contrary to its meaning isn't that irony?

Faldage, you know as well as I do that she didn't give 20+ false examples in the song just to call the entire song 'ironic' allowing for the 'metairony' you describe. But I will ask her if I meet her.

It could have all made sense though; take this line for example:

'Traffic jam, when you're already late'

if she'd made it:

Traffic jam, and I'm already late,
Go up extra early this morning,
Just to avoid the delay.
Isn't it ironic, don't you think?
YES!!

We just call it lying or stupidity.

I don't wish to start some we/us debate. I agree that a lot of remarks that attain the term 'irony' are often plain sarcasm, lying, or stupidity. Stupidity being the fitting alternative when considering that meek woman's song.
Such widely used meta-language like 'irony' will always be problematic it seems.

infertile@family-planning.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith