Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
a violation of property rights.

But not of human rights.

#34131 06/30/01 10:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As we discuss The War Between The States and it's nomenclature (the denouement of which I await with great interest), I think it only proper to pause on this anniversary eve of the terrible and decisive Battle of Gettysburg (July 1-3, 1863) to note the sacrifices of Americans on both sides of that awful conflagration...from the near-annihilation on the first day of both Gen. Iverson's North Carolina Brigade and Wisconsin's famed Iron Brigade, to Little Round Top, to the "High Water Mark of the Confederacy" and the stand of Gen Hancock at the same spot as the climax of "Pickett's (and Pettigrew's) Charge." I dip my hat to them all for the great sacrifices that forged this nation. I'm not a warmonger, but I always feel this needs to be said because people tend to forget Gettysburg against the background of the 4th of July (ironically).

#34132 07/01/01 10:58 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
You don't say The Civil War around there...it's always The War Between The States.

This is something I've always been mystified about. What is it about the appellation Civil War that is controversial?

I'm not asking in order to stir up argument or anything like that-- I really am confused about this.

#34133 07/01/01 11:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Brandon, I consulted my mom, who is retired from DeKalb County (urban Atlanta) and also, like your friend, she worked on curriculum development. Her explanation is that (how shall I put this delicately?) Cherokee County is still very "Southern" and therefore she is not surprised that their criteria for selecting history books might be a little skewed. Apologies to your friend in advance. I'm just quoting here (and I did refrain from using the term redneck) [duck-and-cover]

#34134 07/02/01 01:17 AM
B
Brandon Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
B
Thanks for your digging, AnnaS. I've thought about what it means to be "Southern" (and consider me no expert). I do remember reading an article published by a North Carolina or Virginia newspaper during the 1996 Summer Olympics that talked about a study on the differences between New Yorkers and Deep Southerners. (I can find no trace of the article through my Internet searches, so if anyone knows anything on this, please post)

The test had subjects walk down a hallway to "fill out some paperwork." A guy opens a filing cabinet to block their path, huffs, and closes it quickly while they walk by. The subject is then immediately tested for symptoms of stress (blood pressure, heart rate, etc.).

The study revealed that New Yorkers were actually put at ease when "offended" by the guy in the hallway. Conversely, the Southerns were so much more offended (to the point, I think, that a few punches were almost thrown). Culture sure is different between the Capital of the North and the Capital of the South.

#34135 07/02/01 12:19 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A friend of mine from South Carolina told me about a situation in which difference in culture had a disastrous effect. My friend and the very cultured (Boston style) son of a Harvard professor were trying to get a patent on a medical laboratory device. In explaining it to a Virginian patent attorney, when the attorney failed to understand a point, the Northener in a way that would be perfectly accepted at Harvard interrupted the Virginian to save time. Without any change in expression or tone, the Virginian froze, and no further discussion was possible. The South Carolinian had to explain later to the Bostonian what had gone wrong.

#34136 07/02/01 12:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Brandon mentions a test performed on NewYawkuhs and Southroners, to wit: The test had subjects walk down a hallway to "fill out some paperwork." A guy opens a filing cabinet to block their path, huffs, and closes it quickly while they walk by. The subject is then immediately tested for symptoms of stress (blood pressure, heart rate, etc.).

I heard of a similar test that has been run on NYCers and Memphians. They had someone accost people on the street asking for directions and the Memphians proved to be significantly more polite to the accosters. A resident of NYC, realizing that the tests, having been run in the respective cities, carried a certain bias so he reran the test but this time, to even things out a little, planted some street people to pre-accost the subjects in Memphis with demands for spare change and the like. This to simulate the NYC experience a little better. In the field leveled test the NewYawkuhs scored significantly better than the Memphians.

#34137 07/02/01 01:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Brandon, i think that is a perfect example of a NYer's reaction.. but i am not sure it would hold true for NYer's not from NY, NY. we are a special breed--

AnnaS is not a native, and has lived here-- and i am sure she could point out some on NY, NYer's habits even better than i could-- since i have lived here all my life, and just think some things are normal-- like 24 hour dinner (and as NY rule, dinner are owned by Greeks, 24 delis by Korean, daytime sandwich shops Chinese or Jewish, 24 hour gas stations, Turks) and 24 hour mass transit.. and 24 hour traffic jams-- It not uncommon to find a 20 minute delay getting onto say the 59th Street bridge at 10 PM on a weekday..jaywalking-- eating from street venders (and having a wide range ethnic foods being offered from street vendors-- local mix includes hot dogs and knishes, or falafal, or fruit smoothies, or baked (white or sweet) potatoes.. else where you can get Worst, or BBQ, or rice and beans.. )

NYer's also have localize names for lots of things-- just to drive visitors crazy-- like i take the IRT to work but i could take the IND-- and if you look on NYC subway maps-- there is no reference to IRT, IND or BMT-- (technically, these terms became obsolete 50 years ago..) but NYer's still use them.. most map makers are now smart enought to add (6th Ave) to The Avenue of the Americas-- a street name that is only used by out of towners...and the post office.

There is also a code about soldier on horses and statues.. if the horse has all four feet on the ground-- the soldier did not die in battle or related to battle -- One foot off the ground-- the soldier died of wounds related to battle (even if years later..) and two feet off the ground, the soldier died in battle..

and its not just southern who make the comment about "making the lady walk"..

#34138 07/02/01 01:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is also a code about soldier on horses and statues.. if the horse has all four feet on the ground-- the soldier did not die in battle or related to battle -- One foot off the ground-- the soldier died of wounds related to battle (even if years later..) and two feet off the ground, the soldier died in battle..

And if the horse has all four feet off the ground?

#34139 07/02/01 01:50 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And if the horse has all four feet off the ground?

Then it is the famous Chinese statue "The Flying Horse" which I saw at an exhibition of Chinese art at the Boston Museum of Fine Art (The MFA.) It is charming and I bought the silver "charm" for my bracelet.
Later Edit :
Here's a link that ties in nicely with Kentucky AND the Flying Horse (Hi Jackie)
http://lexington.miningco.com/citiestowns/southeastus/lexington/library/blChinahorse.htm

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith